A game for gamers

So why will it be any diffrent this time?

I do too, Ausitn has skated by letting XP11 (or more accurately XP10 +) go way too long in the tooth. Hell even Eagle Dynamics has stepped up after MSFS released (to the best of their sad little hearts ability to). If MSFS serves only to raise all tides, fine, but they still know they were being sleaze bags taking the Microsoft Flight Simulator name.

I really don’t understand all the negative peeps in this community.

I’m going to copy and paste something from another thread…

I use MSFS, XP and P3D all with a boat load of addons. Looking at my membership dashboard I have 4,695 hours on the VATSIM network and currently undergoing training to become a controller. I have tens of thousands of hours in sims over the past 20 years and invested a load of money into this hobby. I have hardware from PFC and others which isn’t cheap. I even have a separate rig that is my dedicated sim rig (that I am in the process of replacing with a new Jetline Systems). I’ve even got an opportunity to fly a Gulfstream II sim at FlightSafety International which was super fun. I’m going to be straight up honest here, unless XP12 does something that leaves me flabbergasted I’m not even going to bother picking up a copy. What I am really, really looking forward to is the addons that I really enjoy in P3D such as those from A2A.

Addendum…

I’ve used Pro Pilot, Pro Pilot 99, Fly!, Fly2K!, FlightSim 98, 2002, 2004, FSX, XP9, XP11, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, P3Dv5 and I really, really enjoy MSFS. Does it have problems? Of course but I’m optimistic about the future. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used A lot of those too.

Problem is I also used Flight Unlimited 1, 2, and 3. So I knew where sims should have been by now, and have been disappointed again and again.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with the pretty scenery updates, as long as there is no CTD. I love flying and seeing the world. Well done Asobo.

2 Likes

Yeah I pop into the negative threads once in a while for fun, but sometimes it feels like there are people who get a little bit too worked up about a sim/game/whatever the heck you want to call it.

I suppose that’s part of the fun too. I’m into other niche hobbies (you should see the ham radio community haha) and those have the same kind of discussions.

It’s all fun…expect when new folks that are stepping into the hobby get told they are not welcome because they aren’t “serious” enough. I hope that new simmers (and yes, this absolutely includes Xbox people) read this thread and realize that they are in fact very welcome, because growth is what keeps any hobby alive. Everyone should have fun!

8 Likes

I’m not. I’ll throw another sim in there, in the early 2000s I had a sim from ELITE set up for a King Air.

I 100% agree with you in this! The gamers v simmers is such a divisive, and selfish way of putting people in boxes and dividing this community.

1 Like

Yea I taught on ELITE PCATD’s They at least maintained smooth IFR. Not much to look at, and mostly pre good GPS, But they weren’t lookers. And they weren’t trying to be. I also taught on FRASCA with the Plotter and servo gauges (that had Control loading even then) and the FlyIt that was just FS2002 with a fancy cockpit that was CERTIFIED to be an AATD, running bone stock FS2002.

Thing is this isn’t about the community, it’s about the Developers. Have fun all you like, if i’m charged $120 for a $30 toy. I’m going to complain about it, because it’s a shame.

1 Like

Been here since fs98 and p3d v5.2 HF1 runs smoother than any of this haha im not arguing. P3D has turned around. If you’ve flow in a CAE Sim you’ll see those are worse than p3d almost FS9. But what matters the most in training simulators is aircraft systems and performance

So have I… if you think Lockheed is the magic ingredient then you are truly delusional.

1 Like

Third-party addons are imo the driving force here. Many who are doing both have shifted a lot of their resources to MSFS because it’s where the money is. Also many third-party developers have jumped ship and swam to MSFS leaving P3D behind. The amount of addons being pumped out for P3D is not like it was years ago. I honestly don’t see how P3D can be improved that much more. I’m well aware of what each iteration of P3D has brought but at the end of the day it’s as old as a coal stove. I have a TON of addons for P3D some of which give it a facelift including (but not limited to) Active Sky Cloud Art, ENVTEX, ENVSHADE, Orbx TrueEarth but it still looks so outdated even with EA mode on.

1 Like

I hope so as well, not only for that reason, but because competition is good and also serves to expand the flight simulation hobby to a greater audience. As a flight simmer having multiple choices is very welcome.

1 Like

Expecting from worldwide available and cheap software to perfectly simulate real life because “thats what simulation stands for” are you guys serious? Did you ever try the real simulators which are being used for getting your type rating, reccurent or training? I’m talking about those who cost millions of dollars like A320. That’s where you get the exact real life simulation, not in front of your screen at home. Never.

3 Likes

Take me on the list.

But it also doesn’t have to be this substandard either, a lot has been compromised to sucker in casual players using a Prestige brand name in both home, AND AATD training equipment. I’ve used plenty of FS and Xplane AATD’s that my students and I could LEGALLY count as actual flight experience. 2020 can’t even meet that level out of the virtual box right now.

This costs thousands of dollars.

Ironically, MSFS is missing the charm of the FSX missions. They were great.

The Hardware does. And the certification itself (a little) It’s the same software with a heftier commercial license. Which is what P3D was supposed to be and not sold to the consumer public. But who’s going to slap Lockheed for doing whatever they want right?

That audience will grow anyway. If 10% of the XBox MSFS community will buy a HOTAS and rudder pedals… this “flight simulation hobby” will go triple size. Compared to the previous MSFS community we are 5x the audience now. Compare the (initially) 20-40 people Asobo employed for MSFS they have 200 developers now. There’s big money in this project, aircraft and procedural simming will profit from that as well. Microsoft wants to sell XBoxes to adults. Better simming in MSFS can do that.

I’m curious, why don’t you use other flight sim solutions for your students? Is what this boils down to is you don’t see MSFS good enough to train your students?

1 Like