A question of focus

This doesn’t sound the same as what they sold us back then.

Go to 15:32 if the link didn’t automatically take you there:

“We got to get this right with you guys first, and by you guys I mean the people that really have been propping up this thing for the past 35 years”

In retrospect “get this right with you guys first” can have a different meaning: “When enough licenses are sold to simmers in order to sustain financing the additional year of development needed for Xbox, then Market Place sales will be 20x more on Xbox than PC and we’re good for 10 years.”

Nothing really wrong with this, but to stay on the topic, and on focus, this raises the question of what direction the game will take if 20x more Xbox users concerns are different than 20x less PC users. I’m not saying here something about gamers vs simmers, but to illustrate:

Nothing wrong with the Xbox in itself, but if this is so huge a success, and given the limited resources available, the game can only be focusing for the largest population using the game, an in this case, it is not a question of gamers and simmers (although it could), but I have a strong feeling from the initial Xbox feedback it will be a question of how you use the game and for what reasons. This can be diverging greatly from the traditional “simmers” usage scope (offering in-game purpose in the form of missions which is good in my opinion, instead of letting people learning on their own). But on the other hand, for the last 20 years I’ve been contributing to building this industry, the goal year after year was making the simulation closer to reality from an operational standpoint, not just a visual standpoint. With FS2020 I can’t help seeing, just taking the avionics as an example, a decline in fidelity to the point what you do on the game is no longer equivalent to what you’d do IRL sometimes.

7 Likes