A System Tuning & Results Using: Developer Mode/Display FPS w/a Dell 5676

This is a tuning procedure and the current results on a Dell 5676 - AMD 2700x - RX580 - 32GB - M.2 PCIe as HDD ( Similar results achieved w/ the stock SATAhybrid HDD)

• Keep Developer Mode ON and ‘Display FPS’ ON while setting up

• Remove every unnecessary app you can live without

• Turn Windows Game Mode ON

• If you plan on running MSFS by itself set to the size you will be playing. If you are going to be multitasking (livestreaming), set it to a reasonable size you can still use it while doing other things.

• Go through EVERY Windows Settings page and slide off everything you do not need

• Set fps in game to 60 and keep VSynch off in-game and in GPU software until the very end.

• Set everything to ULTRA

• SET GRAPHIC CARD FANS TO MEDIUM or better if you don’t care about the noise!
    YOUR HEAT WILL SKYROCKET FAST! FAST! LISTEN UP…F A S T. Make fans a priority NOW.

• Prepare to face the reality of the beast MSFS is. For those without UBER systems, I recommend a mild sedative and box of tissue.

• With ‘Display FPS’ ON you will see more than the FPS. You will see 6 streaming bars.
    As you can imagine: GREEN is GOOD. Yellow is OK. Red is Bottleneck/Heavy Load etc.

• Begin lowering in-game settings and doing whatever you can to get all those bars running green through every phase of startup, main world, in-flight.

• GREEN IS GOOD - Unfortunately I am limited by Main Thread still and am learning ways I can try to help the CPU along.

• Consider lowering Monitor refresh rate closer to your MAX fps

• Once you recover from the trauma and have it running at least how you like, consider a Third Party option like Razer Cortex. Something that shuts down background services temporarily. BEWARE of things like PROCESS LASSO unless you REALLY know what you are doing and have no problem reloading Windows and MSFS after you crash.

• Consider Overclocking- Make FANS A PRIORITY FIRST - FIRST!

• Now consider applying Vsync either in-game or using your GPU options if you are trying to lock in a framerate or need the extra GPU power for other things (encoding). Using them BOTH can result in lower than expected FPS. :slight_smile:

Vsync off

Using Radeon Chill to limit FPS to around 48 FPS - Razer Cortex ON

Radeon Chill OFF - Vsync On in AMD - 50hrz refresh on Monitor - Razer Cortex ON

VSync ON @50hrz - FPS Limiter ON - 48 minmax fps - Razer Cortex On

1920x1080 - 50hrz Vsync on in AMD settings

Super Downscaling for Social Media - 800x800.

I don’t really see the point you’re trying to make here?

You’re choosing to run on Ultra details, yet you render at a resolution of 1120x630? Those settings you have on Ultra aren’t even going to show up after that 1120x630 gets upscaled again.
I think you’d have a way better experience dropping your graphics detail levels to high or medium, and using 100% render scale.

Another thing; for a slower paced experience like a flight sim, you really don’t need that high of an FPS (unless you’re flying in VR, which you won’t be doing with a machine like yours).
I would suggest aiming for a solid 30-40 FPS at 100% render scaling, adjusting your detail settings accordingly. You’d probably have a much better experience, but then again, it’s all in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

You start at Ultra and then start leaning the mix to find out how much eye candy you can get for your buck and the speed you are comfortable with.

I find the same to be true with cinema and this game. Around 48 fps it starts becoming ‘believable motion’ and why after getting what I want, I lock it in w vsync etc.

The point is more about using the Developer/Display FPS to identify where your problems are. It’s very nice.

sure, but you’re starting at Ultra while having your render scaling under 100%, meaning you’re rendering less pixels than your monitor can display, which then gets upscaled automatically (causing a blurry effect).

So your starting point should be render scaling at 100% and Ultra settings, then reduce settings to get your target framerate. Reducing render scaling should be the last thing you touch really, especially at low resolution screens.

AH! Brilliant!
Thank you!

No problem, happy to help.

1 Like

Brilliant!

what is this resolution? do you have a 16/9 CRT screen? the old 1600 screens were 1600x1200, but yours at 1600x960 is widescreen in 17"?

Most likely a laptop screen. Pretty common resolution for those a couple of years ago.

1 Like

I was wondering, because I never had this resolution, but I never had a laptop, I started with 640x480 cathode then 800x600, etc… in 4/3, then went to 24" 16/9 direct in full hd, 12 years ago

LG UHD 47 inch or so.

But I usually run it very small when I livestream. I have OBS, skyvector, simbrief, youtube METARs all running too.

I agree with you on keeping Render Scaling at 100 for 1080p and below, but I find that it makes such a massive FPS difference compared to some of the other setting with very little quality sacrifice on my 4k monitor when I set it to 80% of 4k that it’s the FIRST thing I do before reducing the other settings. i.e. I’d rather have Ultra at 4k RS 80% than Medium at 4k RS 100%, and I’d still probably have higher frame rates. But every system varies.

Yep, that’s why I mentioned low resolution monitors.
On a 4K screen it might very well be worth dropping below 100%.

ok, I understand your search for optimum FPS, but if you play a 47" in 1200x960 resolution, you must certainly play very far from your screen, otherwise the image must be horrible? especially since it must be a TV with lots of big pixels?

The upscaling info was super important.
Trying to keep everything running the same through the whole pipeline with no upscaling or downscaling going on unless I’m forcing it in OBS.

I normally keep it at 110 for Super Sampling.

Anyway keeping things all the same with no extra work going on seems very important.

I have multiple apps open. It’s about 12 inches away. I usually keep the SIM screen at 1154 or 1280 or some 16:9

What matters for me is trying to get that 48 fps, when the motion starts becoming believable to the eye, so the any livestream viewers experience the same visual sensations.
I try and broadcast at 2560 or upscale and let YouTube handle the transcode down to the lower 16:9s

after, with your rx 580 to manage to play MFS it is well, but seen the screenshots, you have good FPS, but I have the impression that you profited only of 1/10 ème of the graphic potential of MFS, which also depends on your connection internet.

I’m all ears to anything else you may have to say on the matter to fix that, professor.
Running it through the paces to see what I get.

I don’t want to be a professor, sorry if I made you feel that way, I was just intrigued by your screen resolution, and your machine specification. I was just trying to understand your choices, because I imagine the rendering, but I may be wrong. I’ve always been looking for the maximum performance with the maximum quality, today I can’t afford it anymore, so I go with it. So to tell you, changing the machine would be useless. And I can’t advise you this or that setting, since I don’t have the same machine as you, and that, on my configuration, I don’t take the head, I put in full HD or UHD in Ultra, everything depends on my desire of the day and it suits me well. In 4k my machine is not made for that under MFS, so I don’t take the head to try to find the optimum setting, for the little visual difference.
sorry for my English, I’m not an English speaker

1 Like

I meant it as a term of respect. No kidding. I’m thankful for any input and learned something about how MSF upscales from @MortThe2nd . Stuff I must learn.

I’m no expert. Just trying to help others like me get a handle on using the Display FPS Overlay to achieve the best experience.

To maybe help others figure out how to start understand tuning and not feel like a victim or hopeless when it comes to getting a handle your graphics & FPS with this beast.

1 Like