A320 Rolls left on retard and flare

Hi, sorry for this late answer.
Here are my sound settings :

Hope this will help you ^^ I didn’t change anything from default, maybe you should check your windows sound settings too.

1 Like

I tried your changes and it was really good, the controls were more intuitive :slight_smile:
They now changed the flight dynamics too and it’s better now (the issue remains but at least, the plane is starting to have its signature behavior).

The Flybywire guys are full on working hard. Incredible new stuff they have been working on.

Having that trouble too…as well as new ones, such as just recently started having this issue where the aircraft won’t climb to the programmed altitude…even trying to pull back manually, but a. floor gets engaged and I can’t do anything.

Hello everyone, I wanted to check with you some strange phenomena in the piloting of the A320-Mod.

In flight, IFR or VFR is the same, when you are in the descent phase, to get closer to the approach, you are at 200 kt and you begin to flap, flap at 1, the aircraft raises its nose and rises in altitude and then descends on the path of descent, you slow down and arrive at 180 and flaps again on 2 he raises his nose and goes up again and then goes down again, if you are at 3000 ft he goes back to 4000ft and then descends right. seems to ride a horse, crazy.

Another phenomenon, when I am landing with ILS, everything is fine up to 20 ft above the ground, throttle at zero for RETARD, and he drives to the right so I have to straighten him and then REVERSE, this with wind 0, if you have wind at 5- 10 knots wishes for landing.

There are no problems if you take off the AutoPilot at 1000 ft from the runway and land manually.

With XPlane and FSX this stuff does not exist, I state that the sim I set it to the maximum of reality and not MODERN.

It seems to me that ASOBO has come up with a very poor physics of flight of its own.

Tell me I’m wrong and where I can correct the problem.

Looking forward to 3rd party aircraft type PMDG.

Thank you all

Sorry my english translate

1 Like

It is hard to know exactly what is going on from your description, but you are not the only one posting such issues. Are you under autopilot or manual control when you are experiencing the crazy horse riding? Do you have autothrust on and are you using selected or managed speed? For the wing roll at landing issue, what is your flap setting and speed?

When you say you set the sim to the maximum of reality and not MODERN, “modern” is the more realistic flight model for MSFS2020. If you are using the LEGACY model, I think that will cause the bucking bronco behavior.

For the wing roll at landing, that appears to be a fly-by-wire mode transition issue with the current Asobo FBW model. Keeping your speed up and being aligned with the runway well before you get to 20-40 feet so you don’t have to make any roll inputs (hoping there aren’t any gusty crosswinds) are the best way to avoid it for now.

1 Like

The approach I do with managed ascent-descent, managed speed, ILS active, SPOILERS armed and selected at minimum, speed 190 kt FLAP 1, speed 170 kt FLAP 2, speed 150 kt trolley down and FLAP 3, speed 138 kt FLAP 4 at about 1000 ft from the track, I continue downhill, at 20 ft throttle at 0, when I do touchdown and RETARD tells me RETARD I put throttle in reverse thrust at MAX.
The problem arises when I put the throttle at 0, it starts a roll to the right or left, with little wind 0, with normal wind it goes to fields and flowers.
I tried to keep the SPOILERS armed and have them intervene just 2 seconds after the tochdown, the plane has much less deviations.
I thought LEGACY was the ultimate in realism, thanks to your clarification I will use MODERN.
Thanks so much for your kind reply
Sorry for my google english translated
Paul

I can think of 2 things at this point for your instability when you retard the throttles. First, you should not be using any spoilers at all with full landing flaps until you are on the ground. That will reduce your lift and may be causing a wing to stall. Second, same thing with reverse thrust. The real airplane will not allow you to select reversers in the air. Try that and see if it helps.

Does using the modern flight model fix your bucking bronco issue when selecting flaps?

Your Google translated English is fine. I hope my English translates ok to your language!

1 Like

RESOLVED ! thanks to your answer I was able to make a “near perfect” landing.
Crazy horse is gone. The problem was all in the flight mode that I had set LEGACY. Putting it to MODERN, as you advised, there were no more problems.
Google translate translates well from English to Italian.
I thank you infinitely for your kindness and professionalism.
Paul

2 Likes

Still an issue on latest version.

1 Like

I have the same issue with the A320 when landing - and it’s by far not the only one. I don’t understand why they don’t test these stuff before releasing it. Also the speed-behavior of the A320 in the approach is totally unrealistic! Speed variations as crazy.
I mean, I don’t expect a 100% realistic simulation for that money but this is just really BAD the way it is now!

I never really had this issue since the latest patch, but now it’s almost every time…

It seems sensitivity is largely increased in the latest patch… Also in flight the plane starts rolling left and right and only way to avoid is disabling/enabling autopilot. On final indeed an issue!

The roll on landing is weird and the fact that it coincides with the activation of “flare mode” leads me to believe its a bug.

For those of you wondering if the sudden pitch down at 20 feet the answer is kind of yes.

The pitch control 'in Normal mode" on the a320 does not have a direct action on the elevators but passes via the flight computer. The pilot in effect is just selecting a rate of decent (or assent). This is a great feature as you can setup your approaches very easily, unfortunately if this stayed active upon flaring you would just glide 20ft above the runway so to avoid this the ELAC take a snap shot of your rate of decent at 50ft then you start to round out between 50ft and 20ft. at 20ft the flare mode is activated and the nose will pitch down over 8 seconds to the snapshot attitude to help the aircraft touchdown. Airbus is the only manufacturer to implement this function.

I do believe the the developers have tried to implement this feature but it seems a bit buggy to me.

1 Like

I think there’s more to it than it seems.

I’ve done some experiments on the nose dive bug prior to landing. But I think it has something to do with the glideslope magenta diamond. As you cross over the runway threshold, the magenta diamond of the glideslope suddenly drops down, and if your autopilot is still active, it would still act under G/S mode, and will try to “chase” that magenta diamond that suddenly drops down, which resulted in the nose dive. Since this happens so close to the runway, the result is a nose down landing and bounces on a higher VAPP.

I would assume that on LAND mode, the aircraft would have disengage itself from the G/S mode to a more stable approach. But even if it doesn’t, FLARE mode would definitely should disengage from the G/S mode since FLARE mode should take precedence.

I can replicate this issue fairly consistently if I keep my autopilot active all the way. And the only way for me to avoid this is by disengaging the AP at before this threshold. (I usually disengage at 100 ft before touchdown). When that happens, the AP disengages and you have full control over the aircraft. Even if the magenta diamond drops down below, the aircraft won’t try to chase it and will stay stable, until you add some input from your controls to do manual flare.

So I think it’s more like an ILS issue, rather than aircraft autopilot issue, as I think the aircraft should still follow the magenta diamond at all times (with probably detached itself from the diamond on FLARE mode)

The rolling thing seems to be affected by the overly sensitive controls too. That sometimes you don’t realise that when you pull back the stick, you could be pulling it with a slight left. It’s this slight left control is what the sim takes as a valid input and apply it to the aircraft, resulting in a roll.

I’ve set my deadzone for both X and Y axis to at least 5-10%. That way when I pull back my stick, I don’t inadvertently giving slight roll inputs as the deadzone will consider that slight input as invalid, thus keeping the aircraft level. I’ve set it this way for weeks now, and I never have rolling issues anymore (or ever for that matter).

3 Likes

Am I the only one that the A320 rolls atomatically left or right when you are at 20ft ?

It is really frustrating.

One day may a patch correct this issue?

best regards

Nope, you are not. there´s like a bazillion posts about that.
There´s people who do not have that issue and those like me who do. There´s also a ton of more or less good theories as to why this problem still persists, ranging from “just a bug” to some intricate flyby-wire-logic mishap. But frankly, no one seems to know for sure.

We will wait and see if this gets fixed somewhen.

have a nice week.

regards

2 Likes

There’s a lot of people experiencing the rolls as you do. I’ve watched some live broadcast of it happening quite often…

Weirdly though… it never happened to me… And I fly the A320 hundreds of hours.

1 Like

Be careful, there are a few … in this forum who will start personal attacks and insults if you make such claims. :rofl:

2 Likes

But does Asobo know this persistant issue and works on it or not?