A320 Rolls left on retard and flare

Pretty much all the airliners have the same issue or nose dives

Same here. Imagine that happening at the end of an already struggling 2-hours flight. Donā€™t even bother going around now because it will be the same.

I donā€™t know, I think it has something to do with how I set up my sensitivity controls. I find that on final approach, the controls get overly sensitive that even a slight twitch will override the autopilot behaviour and make those micro inputs as valid.

Sometimes I think itā€™s easy to miss that when we pull back on our controls, weā€™re not exactly 100% neutral in pulling it back. Thereā€™s always a slight side movement to either side that weā€™re not fully aware of. This subconcious movement is what I think to be treated as a valid input, thus creating the roll excessively on landing.

I set my deadzone on both pitch and roll axis to at least 10%. That way even if I subconciously move the sidestick back with a slight deviation to either sides, that deviation is considered as an invalid input since itā€™s still within the deadzone. So no input, no roll.

This is just my observation though, Iā€™ve set with this deadzone for a while, and I never really experienced any roll bug so far.

Check out the answer in the dev update at 42 mins https://youtu.be/1J5PiYtxfSU
This explains these errors.

2 Likes

This makes total sense. Thanks. My assumption was correct that the twitchiness occurred because of the fly by wire system disengages below certain altitude which makes the flight controls overly sensitive to micro inputs making it excessively susceptible to rolls on touchdown.

Thatā€™s why I increase the deadzone and reduce the sensitivity to avoid this from happening.

1 Like

Hello to all
I noticed that if I remove the throttle and put it at 0 to 50 feet I can glide perfectly using the joystick in manual mode, if instead I want to deactivate it when it touches the ground it happens that at about 5-10-15 feet the nose hits the track with consequent rebound of the airplane.
I state that both the approach speed is perfect and the center of gravity of the aircraft is also halfway, so they do not center either the center of gravity or bad approach management.
Furthermore, in the AOA tool of the external view the bars are both lower and green therefore perfectly balanced.
I believe it is a bad bug and not the real behavior of the A320.
Hi

My 320 behavior is following. Start, climb, cruise, no problems. But landingā€¦
When iā€™m on approach with AP at 160Kt and set flaps1 the nose pitch down 5 degrees, but still flying forward?
Then set flaps 2 nose go further down 10 degrees still flying forward like an helicopter? What the heckā€¦
Itā€™s unable to fly in set flaps 3 or full in this behavior. Only helps AP off, pull back on Stick, nose come up but the climb rate come up too. So reduce speed to come down and then will have same problem with rolling right before touchdown?

You are using the wrong, legacy flight model. Switch to MODERN.

Options > flight model > modern.

Btw, 160kts without any flaps is way too slow!

Btw. Iā€™m on Modern legacy flight model. And 160kt. or 200kt does not matter. Always same issue.

As soon as I set the flaps, the nose goes down but the plane flies straight ahead like a helicopter?

Thereā€™s no such thing as a ā€˜modern legacyā€™ flight model. Suggest to recheck your setting.

At 160kts and conf 1, does the nose pitch down by 5Ā° or does it pitch down to a -5Ā° pitch attitude?

Even with the modern flight model the nose will pitch down by ~10Ā° due to the wrong/missing slats simulation.

The nose goes down by -5 Ā° with flaps 1, with flaps 2 to full the nose goes down by -10 Ā° / -15 Ā°. But the plane flies straight ahead and does not lose altitude.
Only by reducing speed.

Thatā€™s basically correct. The Airbus normal law features a flight path stability.

If you extend the flaps, lift increases and hence the pitch attitude decreases to maintain the present flight path.

If the A320 starts descending when reducing speed, itā€™s an indication that you are way too slow and the AoA protection starts do decrease the pitch attitude/AoA.

Yep, thats right, but -15Ā°??? itā€™s look and feel unrealistic, like an helicopter thatā€™s accelerate fast forward.

What was the Initial pitch attitude?
160kts without flaps it must have been at least +10deg.

Full flaps, a -15Ā° pitch change and still at 160kts would mean a -5Ā° pitch attitude.

Again, 160kts without flaps looks a lot like you are using the wrong, legacy flight model.

I mean the initial pitch attitude approximately was +2Ā°/+5Ā° with no flaps at 160kt.
Flaps1 at 160kt ending in pitch attitude -5Ā° and flaps2 going to pitch attitude -10Ā°. Flaps 3 and more lower the nose to -15Ā° pitch attitude.

And you are 100% sure that the flight model is set to modern?

Iā€™ve never read about such unrealistic pitch attitudes with the modern flight model.

Hereā€™s another one of my landing today. It doesnā€™t seem to be doing what youā€™re experiencing.

1 Like

I have noticed that since the last update the roll and flare problem has stopped. which is nice

Note Iā€™m using the a320ng FBW dev version

Hi, what kind of mod do you have? I use the 0.4.1 of fsw, I donā€™t see on my i m under the QNH and it doesnā€™t tell me minimum.
Thanks 1000