A320 Tips & Tricks

You should be able to get it from simbrief, but i have not tested it yet.

thanks, is that when you return the Engine Mode switch to NORM (from IGN Start)

No, You that is strictly your engine ignition switch (turns on the engine’s spark plug to light off the fuel).
The APU is shut off by pressing the APU “Master SW” on the overhead panel again.
The APU will then auto shut down, and close the hatch automatically when it is cold enough.
You should also turn off the bleed air since the APU will no longer be on.

2 Likes

Looks that I am facing, again, the engine 1 issue when starting from cold and dark at a320N (default).

how to have a smooth take off, I always have a little bit of tail shaking when take off. I set flap 1 and pitch trim 1.

Practice on a clear and calm weather first, see if you can still reproduce the issue. The only thing I can think of is wind. If you have wind blowing your tail on take off, then the tail will shake, and you need to apply the rudder accordingly to compensate. The stronger the wind, the less smooth your take off would be.

2 Likes

Is the nose coming up quite quickly with not much input from the stick required?

I think because of tail wind, I’ve tried pull stick backward slightly but still shaked

You need to experiment with the trim setting prior to take off.
Note where your center of gravity is, and add some trim.
Not enough, and the nose pops up.
Too much and the nose doesn’t want to come up.
I find with a C of G just slightly aft of center(around 29%)
I need a down trim of about 1.4 for a smooth rotation.

1 Like

please explain more detail, I’m not clear.

The tail will not “shake” with tailwind. In fact you will not notice anything other than higher groundspeed for rotation and subsequent increase in take-off roll / distance. Otherwise the airplane won’t behave any different with tail wind.

2 Likes

Or use this:

Not sure if it is for the NEO or CEO, its the first hit I got on Google.

You should always be taking off into the wind, no?

Where is the best place to discuss the FBW A320NX mod in particular? This thread seems to be for all mods and stock. Is there a thread here or should I look elsewhere? Reddit has nothing in use. And the FBW site I found on Github is not something I can figure out. And I’m not on discord yet. Suggestions? Thx

EDIT: found it at https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx/discussions

Not necessarily up to 10/15 kts is acceptable depending on aircraft type. Might be some weight penalty as it has an effect on performance but take-off with a slight tailwind is not unusual.

1 Like

Sorry, I might have been a bit unclear. I didn’t mean tailwind. I meant wind blowing on the tail. As in a strong cross wind from the right or left side of the aircraft blowing on the tail. I didn’t mean a tailwind that’s blowing from the rear of the aircraft.

Yup, that’s a crosswind.

How to center line to runway when landing?

Practice, mostly. You start to get a feel for the shape of the runway when you’re on track for the right spot, and the 2-white/2-red lights tell you when that is (4 white is “out of sight”/high and 4 red is “you’re dead”/low).
But for the centre line, you line up but turn the nose a little (or a lot if cross wind is high) into the wind until you are moving directly towards the centre even while turned towards the wind.

1 Like

Just to add some info at @RobinFlight591 explanation: remember that you can know where the nose is pointing using the screw over the PFD as reference.

2 Likes