A320 Tips & Tricks

As well, there are two people in the cockpit IRL, so the workload is much higher for one. This makes sense.

3 Likes

To practice your manual landings for when you get a visual instead of an ILS approach .

4 Likes

Just my two cents. After ATC gives me the runway,
I select desired approach in F-PLN: ILS or RNAV. Then press tmpy INSERT.
And then I check AP, if it turned me around to somewhere,
I would choose desired point of my new plan in DIR TO page. Easy.
Works almost everytime w/o turning off AP, and / or deleting any WPs.

2 Likes

A320 HOW do I know the distance to the destination at any point in the flight?

SDK Is there a variable that contains this?

3 Likes

This is something that bugs me, too. It’s definitely known to the sim. Let’s see it! :laughing:

My experience is that to delete a waypoint you need to enter CLR (with the button), press the waypoint button and confirm with INSERT instead of ERASE. This seems to work with STARS at least if they’re entered through the FMC. I haven’t discovered what the ERASE entry is for.

2 Likes

@leha8951 yes, this is what I do, too.

Really helpful thanks

I think the distance to any waypoint and arrival airport should be displayed at least in the FMC for descent planning. As it is no only the distance to next WYP is shown in the PFD upper right corner. Perhaps it is something we’re missing here. As there is no manual one stumbles a lot in the dark.

1 Like

I know the real MCDU and this from FS2020 is not as reality. Great number of informations and possibily are missing (Hold, Direct to, move WP, etc…).

I always do a Cat 3. Auto-land. I never disengage autopilot.
Capture the localiser, capture the glide slope. Managed airspeed with A/THR.

At 400 radio altimeter callout, FMA switches from G/S and LOC to LAND.
Then at 50 radio altimeter callout it will auto-flare. and I just retard the trottle for a smooth, automatic landing. I love it.

with the new patch and the A32NX mod, it even shows Cat.3 DUAL NO DH. in the FMA… love it.

1 Like

Hi. Could you please advise how to switch between GPS and Nav mode in the A320neo? Thanks!

I’ve never really switch them myself. Why would you need to switch between GPS and NAV mode?

If the flight plan is from the MSFS 2020 flight planner, often it does not work. You can delete a waypoint from FPLN if you are on one further down the list, but it seems to not let you delete one that is below the point you are on.

ERASE is to clear the new but not confirmed plan I bleieve.
CLR should clear the waypoints, it just doesn’t seem to.

I did manage it once in 20 flights, I think I deleted the previous waypoint before selecting approach, which cleared the rest of the plan, then redid it on the MFD with NRST and it went in ok.

It usually just gives you an arbritrary USR waypoint, which is non-editable say you have ILS via BIGZ, ATC always wait until you have passed the waypoint then tell you your approach. The approach may start at 2 points before BIGZ so it creates a USR, then pt1 and pt2 and then BIGZ. Now you do a 180 and fly back 40 miles to where you already were - It is very bad at EHAM, for example.

I felw from EGSH, it’s a 30 minute trip. It took me 2.5 hours after goarounds for idiots spawning on the runway and not checking/listeneing to ATC, and it made me fly half way back to EGSH for a westerly approach twice after changing from two easterly ones … very annoying.

Best thing is join VATSIM, and use them :¬)
I think many people are reluctant as it is a LOT more work for one person who is already trying to learn the aircraft.

As for the ILS displays in the NAV section, they dropped off after the update 2 days ago on my system. Both boxes are now blank. Are you seeing the same?

Raise the brightness from the PFD display brightness knob on the left side of the displays.

Thanks Neo4316!!

In GPS mode it is impossible to perform an ILS approach in terms of aquiring the localiser and glide slope. When I change to the external camera the heading indicator top left shows that I am in GPS mode and not Nav mode. I assume therefore that is the reason for a missed approach. Regards

Yeah, I don’t even know where to set between GPS mode or NAV mode. Are you talking about the ADIRS setting overhead? I always set them to NAV from the beginning, and it’ll fly from waypoint to waypoint without issues and capture the ILS for an automatic landing.

Thank you for clarifying this issue. I have just now realized my mistake. I keep on inputting the ILS frequency and runway incorrectly. Do not need a GPS/Nav switch as in FSX. Thanks again.