About to try VR!

Hi @PeakKitten11564,

Welcome to the wonderful world of VR! I got my G2 at release, thinking that I’d only use it occasionally. How wrong I was! Even with the necessary turning down of graphics, I just can’t go back to 2D screen … it’s like watching a movie of someone else flying the plane instead of you!

You should be able to get fair performance with some tweaking as @Cliffyboy1962 says. Lots of good advice on these forums, but in the end, a lot of it is about what you’re happy with, what and where you want to fly etc. Render Scaling and Volumetric Clouds are the two really big hitters in terms of general performance. I posted my settings in response to another thread here … slightly different config, but some other good comments too. I fly mostly GA and VFR; but have clocked up quite a few hours in the magnificent DC6 recently … quite an experience in VR!

On your other questions, there are a couple of ‘kneeboard’ add-ons available. I use the GSim Kneeboard Navigation Log - it’s payware and has some nice features including an interactive VFR log sheet that works in VR. The online map is too slow in my experience though. There is also Sim EFB - Electronic Flight Bag - also payware, but I haven’t tried that one. Also take a look at FSKneeboard which looks pretty neat and has a free and paid version.

If you want to get really adventurous, you can code your own … Maximus has a toolbar template that shows how to add a custom toolbar icon that pulls up a website in a window. That works great in VR and might be able to get you to your LIDO website, with a bit of manipulation :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hope this helps a little - happy flying!

2 Likes