About World Updates

Those issues are usually down stream internet issues. Yes, you may have a gigabit connection, but with COVID resulting in many people working from home, shcooling from home, and generally being online more, it sounds like you’re struggling with bandwidth.

There are an incredible number of threads on these forums talking about LOD issues. It isn’t my bandwidth. I’m using gigabytes of data (according to the Sim tracker) on a weekly basis.

The only way I will believe it’s a bandwidth or non-sim issue is if someone flies to San Diego and takes a photogrammetry screen shot that isn’t all melted.

1 Like

well…now I’m curious. When I get home from work later today, I know where I’m flying to. Does this SD issue happen when you load in at KSAN and depart there, or does it happen when you come from somewhere else, and land at KSAN, or both?

Both. Before you fly, go into the market and look at the KSAN airport that is for sale and look on the hills in the background. You will see it there, too.

1 Like

It’s more of the case that MS/Bing is playing catch-up. Google were collecting satellite data and doing photogrammetry and Street View for some time before Microsoft even got into the game. As a result, Google has a far better coverage overall.

You’re also correct in stating that Google puts a much higher value on that data than MS and tend to pour far more resources into it as a result. In some cases, both services have data of similar or matching quality. But outside of very major centres, you’ll find Bing lags behind Google significantly in terms of resolution of data, type of data available, and currency of said data.

1 Like

Agreed. I got the KSAN scenery pack from the marketplace as I fly out of there a lot. The scenery pack for the airport looks really good, but it’s a stark contrast to the city around it. The buildings don’t look very good and in many places, roads are completely messed up, particularly near highway over / underpasses or where they’re on a parallel grade.

1 Like

arcolegrove San Diego, High settings. Graphics card NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB.

Only some melted buildings.

Thanks for doing that, but that looks pretty terrible compared to the trailer referenced above, which is my point. In particular, you can see the brown mounds randomly all over the place. Also, you can see that the buildings aren’t “sharp”… they’re a bit like they’re molded from clay. Flying around KSAN in particular is horrible.

I’m hopeful that they have found 3 meter data, because I think that will be a huge difference for the area.

arcolegrove Agreed. It could be better and I was getting better before the patches.

The last several patches have decreased LOD significantly for buildings and for ground textures. I can see stuff being drawn in as I’m practically above it at low altitudes, and even then, the buildings look like melted Legos often. I never had this issue with the release version of the game. It had its issues, but visually it was superior to what we have now 2 months and 4 patches later.

And I can guarantee it’s not my system nor Internet connection. I have a relatively fast Ryzen 2700X, 32 GB, RTX2080 and the game installed on a 1TB NVMe SSD. My connection is 1 Gbit fibre and has been nothing but rock solid since I upgraded last winter. And my settings in game are set to reasonable levels where this shouldn’t be happening.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming what started this whole conversation. Two patches ago they very clearly changed the LOD (rumor has it this was to improve performance because people were complaining about low FPS) and so now we have melted buildings everywhere.

It’s not anywhere close to the trailers and is worse than it was at release.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’m optimistic that over the long term we’ll be seeing this stuff fixed. I give Asobo credit for what they’ve done here. Any new flight sim released tends to be an evolutionary step up from its predecessors and competition. MSFS2020 is more of a revolutionary leap in terms of the world. Unfortunately, the team is inexperienced in flight sim development, so we’re hitting a lot of snags along the way. I do trust that once the platform matures (and that may take a couple of years), it will be by far the benchmark against which all others will be measured.

But for the time being, as much as I’m enjoying it, I still feel like we got sold a bill of goods by the marketing team and got the ol’ “bait & switch” when the product was delivered, because even the release version didn’t hold up to what we saw in the trailers (even running 4K Ultra). And with subsequent patches it’s gotten worse and worse visually.

In the end, this sim shouldn’t have been released when it was. It was unfinished. Either that, or it should have been advertised as early access. That would have quelled expectations from buyers and prevented a lot of the ■■■■■■■■ and complaining about the state of the sim.

2 Likes

What I will say (that I find very interesting) is that I had dedicated a large space (64GB) to in-game scenery cache and I noticed an improvement in photogrammetry if I cleared that out and started over.

It seems like the cache is not automatically replacing poor quality downloaded data with better quality streamed data and so if you happen to get a bad server or connection day, you were stuck with bad scenery. Deleting it and starting over made a bit of a difference.