Achievement guide and discussion

No DevMode. No liveries in community folder.
Default livery active, no simconnect devices active.

Tower controlled airport. Controller had to wait a while for me to exit runway because runways are long and the Savage Cub doesn’t taxi too fast.

Flight was logged in log book. (Both take off and landing)
Flight was NOT logged as a landing at a different airport despite this being the first time I have landed there.

(I tested this later today by flying out of and back into this same airport in the mb-339 and “bingo” it advanced the different airports landed at.

It takes about 3 hours to fly 300nm in the savage cub, I don’t really want to be fooling around with experimenting what conditions advance Jack of all Planes and which conditions inhibit progress. I therefore double checked assistance (true to life) closed no pop up windows etc.
Still nothing.

yeh, I understand this achievement can be frustrating (it was for me). Just giving tips that worked for me.

Yeah, I understand. I’m just a bit grumpy after hand flying almost 4 hours within what I am sure must be the correct parameters to advance this achievement only to get robbed (again)

At some point somebody is sure to point out the one critical thing I missed right? So keep the comments coming.

In the last two days, I have had a couple of achievements to unlock, which were unrelated to the flights I was taking.

ow, btw, something that might help; you only need to do 300 miles, which is 261nm. That’ll save some time on the next attempt.

1 Like

Happened to me a few weeks ago as well, flight showed in the logbook as well

I’ve been unable to advance past 20% on Jack of all planes despite trying almost every plane, haven’t tried in a while, do mods affect the granting of the achievement?

most likely yes.

You need to run the achievement by using all the vanilla planes from the base sim (not including the ones from Premium (deluxe).

If you have any mods modifying the planes, it won’t work.
Also, keep the developer mode disabled.

Daher TBM 930
Textron Aviation Beechcraft King Air 350i
Textron Aviation 208 B Grand Caravan EX
Airbus A320neo
Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental
Textron Aviation Cessna Citation CJ4
Aviat Pitts Special S2S
Cub Crafter X Cub
Diamond Aircraft DA40NG
Diamond Aircraft DA62
Extra 330LT
Flight Design CTSL
ICON A5
JBM Aircraft VL-3
Robin Cap10
Robin DR400/100 Cadet
Textron Aviation Beechcraft Bonanza G36
Textron Aviation Cessna 152
Textron Aviation Cessna 172 Skyhawk (G1000)
Zlin Aviation Savage Cub

In positive news, I can scratch another one of the list.

Only a couple to go.

Congrats!

It’s funny how most of these achievements are ok with mods, but this and a couple others need vanilla.

Hey. There was an update (1.9.5.0) that reset the Japan discovery flight allowing you to get progress towards Decathlon a second time. The patch notes say multiplayer was removed for the discovery flight so maybe that tinkering had something to do with it counting again after the patch.

[RELEASE] Release Notes Update #4 (1.9.5.0) Now Available! - Community / News and Announcements - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I know for certain I got progress towards Decathlon after flying the Japan discovery tour (added in 1.9.3.0) and another 10% progress after flying it again post 1.9.5.0.

So while there have been only 8 activities, 90% progress is possible if you flew the Japan discovery flight after 1.9.3.0 and again after 1.9.5.0

1 Like

ah, that could have been it. Makes sense.

That’s good to know, thank you!

Racked up 5 more for Jack of all planes. All the slow props and hand fly/hand navigate aircraft done and out the way.

Open windy.com and search for the highest tail wind you can find. (somewhere in daylight.)

Find 2 airports far enough apart along that course.
(Then see if those airports actually exist in MSFS2020)

Take off, climb to the wind (about 7000ft)
Get pushed along by wind.
Profit!

True to Life (no assistance)
Live Weather + Live time.
(No AI/No player traffic is fine.)

Don’t touch sim rate.
Don’t touch VFR map. (Know your heading in advance of starting your attempt)
Don’t let the co-pilot fly. - because they will screw it up for you.

2 Likes

my new problem is I’ve done every one on the standard list for jack of all planes, but I’m only 90% complete. (2 missing planes)

This quest was attempted fully stock, no addons, empty community folder, true to life with no changes to time or maps. I did fly the 300nm with both C172s incase the flying the classic bug is still there.

Now I have no idea which ones I’m missing…

1 Like

I am having the same problem as you, although I have managed to get to 95%. Checked and double checked all logged flights, done it in both Cessna 172’s, so can’t work out how to compete this.

Very frustrating as it one of the few achievements I have left to go.

Good luck with yours @jonasbeaver

Checking flight log is a way to narrow it down. Look for flights where either takeoff or landing wasn’t registered

I have more than one flight in each aircraft greatly exceeding all the requirements, the problem is with mods or accidents (like turning off the ATC menu and making it revert to CUSTOM difficulty from True to Life without realizing it) over time I don’t know which ones counted and which didn’t. The 300nm in the hard ones (pitts, cap10, zlin, etc) that take forever are certainly finished, I checked progress before and after. The logbook confirms that I have greater than 300nm flights in all the aircraft on the list.

At this point I’d have to refly about 14 of them to see if a mod or another issue caused it not to work.

What would be amazing is to peak peek into where ever that information was stored to see what’s been done and what hasn’t, or better, have a list that one could actually see. I don’t feel like doing 14 re-flights over ~30 hours, and the planes that I am using to do things other than achievement hunting are all 3rd party or modified.

1 Like

I don’t think Jack of All Planes requires ‘True to Life’. It’s the easiest achievement, just fly from A to B over 300 miles apart. You can use AI control still get it. Just don’t change sim rate.

2 Likes

So I’ve done it in all the airplanes confirmed by the logbook, for what ever reason 2 planes didn’t count. I don’t know which 2. I don’t want to spend another 30 hours flying the 14 planes again, of which 12 counted to figure out which 2.

I’m not interested in modifying the achievement at all, I just want to know which ones are done and which ones aren’t when my logbook says they are all done and I don’t know which logbook entry is a lie.

I hear you. I’ve had same issue with tracking progress but luckily I started tracking early on with less than half planes flown. Logbook is a mess too, but it’s the only place you can find the problem. A flight must have take off and landing registered and be at least 262NM (300 miles).