Achievement guide and discussion

Yes, post SU9 I’d been trying to redo every landing challenge as well and would watch my progress slowly increase to 40/49 only to see it reset to 35/49 for no reason. I’ve been unable to get my progress in either achievement to stick.

For Jack of all Planes did you hand-fly the ones without AP or use the “AI pilot”. Before SU9 I could use “AI pilot” and it would still count but after none of my flights were successful unless I hand-flew the whole flight. Wasn’t sure if they changed it or it was just another case of logbook getting rolled back.

1 Like

I flew one by hand, but those acrobatic aircraft — the Robin and the CAP — are miserable to fly. I caved and used the AI after take off until just before approach and it worked a treat.

I also set a tailwind, as fast as the sim allows, after takeoff and then shut that off on approach. That massively reduced the time investment.

If you do that, slowly increase/decrease it with the slider, because it will either massively increase/decrease airspeed (like an excessive gust) and upset the aircraft something fierce.

1 Like

Hallelujah, I triggered the “Completionist Achivement” in SU 9 “Patch” by reflying the last leg of the Patagonia Bush Trip.

Looking through the Bush Trip save files - I spotted
Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\MISSIONS\ACTIVITIES\CHILE_SAVE

… had an AUTOSAVE folder (unlike all my other saves)
CHILE_SAVE (incomplete with autosave folder)

Checking the Autosave’s .FLT file seemed to point to the last leg i.e. it seemed the autosave had trigged at the end, rather than “Bush Trip Complete”

I removed the CHILE_SAVE\AUTOSAVE folder and reflew the last leg, which triggered
• the “Completionist” Achievement
• and incremented my Profile’s Bush Trip Counter - 19/14 → 20/14

Note: I already had the “Fire and Ice” Achievement and 100% in Activities>Bush Trips

As to why it counts 20 bush trips - I guess it’s still counting the old version of the community “Thailand” bush trip that had a name change when moving from v1.1 to v1.2 (and needed to be re-flown).

Perhaps this will help others or at least show it is still possible in SU9 “Patch”

2 Likes

HI, not sure if anyone has already mentioned it, but I found a 100% reliable way to make a POI “count” for the fauna or sightseeing achievements. You have to bind one key to “Smartcam” so if you keep holding the button, the smartcam stays enabled. So far, so obvious. The other button you need to bind is the “reset smartcam” button. Keep POIs enabled in the assistance options but everything else Smartcam related to the “True to Life” or “off” settings.

Now, when you approach a target nice and slowly, at about 1 NM distance, “reset” will eventually focus the smartcam on the POI with enough time to get a better approach right next to or around the POI. Just keep spamming “reset” until the camera suddenly turns on to the POI in front of you. Then, fly really close to the POI while still holding the smartcam button and once you see the little circle spinning in the lower right, the POI was successfully counted for your achievements. :slight_smile:

Haven’t missed a POI since I’ve been using this method and it also works for POIs added via the community folder (at least for those I tested).

EDIT: FYI I am also using TrackIR, so I am basically in the freelook mode all the time. Not sure if that’s relevant but I thought I’d mention it.

2 Likes

My way achievement can be completed and popped by: Doing the flight on True to life.(Only minimize any menu box, Do not close at any time during the whole flight) Then land at your chosen airport, then when ask to leave the runway to the taxi starting grid from runway, You will need stop your plane before the line, Contact ATC. then set AI pilot to on and let the AI park your plane. This is important otherwise no achievement pop, (Def a bug achievement because it no assist but unfortunately this the bug and we need the AI assistance). hope this helps.

Sorry if anyone already addressed this, but for Jack of All Planes, I got stuck at 95%, like a few other folks.

Suggestions to make a list and check it twice made sense, and I did it a few times, but stayed trapped at 95% - this morning I got it to pop, and it was because I was wondering about the X Cub variations. I assumed that I could use any of them, so I used the nose wheel version… and was stuck at 95%.

In looking at the discussions again, I really noticed that they all say the same aircraft, “X Cub,” and not the other specifics like floats, or nose wheel… so I used the tail dragger, specifically labeled as X Cub, and that worked, and I finally got the Achievement to pop upon landing, even before the full stop.

One more note on this, I do not do well with the tail dragger aircraft, but I found a assist for landing. For the tail dragger aircraft, I turn that on. I think it helped a little bit.

2 Likes

Good catch on that. Yes, the nose wheel variant wasn’t a part of the base sim (for which all the aircraft required for the achievement are and need to be). If I recall, I think it appeared with the Game of The Year update.

It is funny that you mentioned that it was part of the updates… I played around with the Beta, but it was because of that, and some reviews, that I kept from buying into it at first, but with the release of the F/A 18 Hornet, I picked up the basic version, and they had a couple of added aircraft - I did not realize the nose wheel version was one of them - thanks for that information, much appreciated!

A year later, but if you are still interested in completing “My Way”, I just did exactly what this tutorial was showing and I got the achievement. For some reason, letting the AI taxi at the end seems to be what made the difference for me.

1 Like

Thank you for these informations.
As of October 2022 I finally got the My way achievement.
I flew the route as it was described here

You have to pay attention to the following:

• i used the standard a320
  • you will have to work you through the checklists and Tag every point on the list
  • don’t close atc and checklist windows
  • set assistance to true to life
  • set every online or live environments to enabled, e.g. multiplayer or wheater etc.
  • do not use any atc callsing or flight numbers in aircraft customization
  • fly the route until you have landed on the runway. Leave the runway and acknowledge taxiing……now give controls to ai pilot
  • achievement will pop up when ai pilot shuts down the plane

I am interested if anybody has same success I had.
I think these methods would be helpful for this real life achievement too

Good luck.

1 Like

Decathlon is still broken.

Weekly challenges aren’t weekly. Call them Spotlight events all you like but they’re still labeled as “weekly” in multiple places in the sim.

The last two have failed to register progress on Xbox. That’s however many months it’s been since SU8 till now that Xbox users have been unable to progress an already excruciatingly slow Achievement.

You can’t call it an Achievement if it’s not Achievable. If Asobo makes an Achievement requirement to land at every airport in the sim, it’s still more doable than the ask to finish a task that doesn’t exist.

2+ years now and no sign the dev team cares. Dozens upon dozens of threads have been created and none are marked as bug logged. What does the community have to do to be heard? This isn’t a good look/first impression for the sim to newcomers to the series.

3 Likes

I cannot finish decathlon for the same reason. I had been in the Beta Test, and due to the experience there, I decided to hold off for a while before picking up the game, and due to the issues I was seeing, I also did not buy the super duper deluxe version, just the basic one. I did not want to spend money for something that doesn’t work well.

Yesterday I noted that Microsoft terminated everyone in the game studio (or whatever it was called) after all of the issues with FSX - and yet, now, FSX works very well, and I still have that on my computer too.

It is (to me) embarrassing to have the software out before it is good to go, and all of the game companies seem to do this. I Beta Tested Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and we all gave them a lot of feedback, yet, when it released - same thing, a LOT of issues… and now, as they are wrapping up that game, it is working pretty well.

I fear that MSFS 2020 will start to work well as MSFS 2030 is gearing up to publish.

2 Likes

Overwatch 2 had a broken Achievement at launch. The devs fixed it in less than 2 weeks.

What is Asobo’s excuse for 2+ years of broken Achievements?

2 Likes

To earn the Decathlon achievement you must complete the three bushtrips Balkan, Nevada and Patagonia. These three add 12% to completion.

1 Like

This isn’t correct. Decathlon only progresses with Weekly/Spotlight Activities.

You might be thinking of Completionist which requires those three bush trips and all original landing challenges.

2 Likes

Oh yes that’s right. Sorry I messed that up.
But what where these activities ? It seems that maverick activities do not count ?

1 Like

They appear on the menu where the Maverick one is now, but are only there for a limited time, usually when a new Sim Update is released.

1 Like

They were supposed to be weekly — and apparently they were for the PC crowd, prior to Xbox launch. Since Xbox launch, if you played all the betas and completed all the “weekly activities” you’ll have a whopping 3 out of 10 challenges completed after a year and a half.

This is because:

• Asobo doesn’t test the sim on Xbox: only an Xbox emulator and the last two “weekly” activities have not counted toward progress on Xbox. Whoever is creating the “weekly challenges” is forgetting to enable the trigger that makes it count toward an Achievement

• Xbox users are treated as second class customers and don’t get access to the same events as PC users.

• Asobo doesn’t care if their Achievements work or not. They seem to think they’re above it and pretended there was no issue on a dev Q/A from this year.

1 Like

I do not do the achievements or use Xbox but if it is as you say then it needs to be addressed, Xbox users are NOT 2nd class.

1 Like

Hello Everyone.
Today I finished Balkan Bush Trip. I NEVER used the back on track button. However the achievemt did not pop up. I used Autopilot, Heading Mode and the Garmin GPS. Is this forbidden too ? During one leg, a waypoint did not appear als completed…could one of the things mentioned above be the reason why the achievement did not pop up ? During Patagonia I used the Garmin GPS as well and I got the achievement…thank you for your thoughts

2 Likes