Add a Quit to Desktop Function

We need to be able to directly exit the app at any time. Having to go back to the main menu is unreasonable, and can take a long time.

I’d like to see an exit to desktop option without having to reload the main menu first.

I think all my other wish list items have already been posted here.

1 Like

Alt+F4 works for instant closing. And you can mute the music in the sound options.

3 Likes

Didn’t know about alt f4, I’ll try that, thanks.

I already turned the music volume to zero, but the program still plays music as it loads, music doesn’t get muted until after you pass the “press any key” stage.

It was very annoying during the 2 hour download, had to mute the app in windows settings.

I always open something in Windows before I start MSFS. Either File Explorer or a browser window. That way I can Alt + Tab back to the Windows desktop if I need to make a change to Windows setup or access some other Windows app or utility.

1 Like

If you forget to open something first Ctrl+Esc gets you to the taskbar and you can use the start menu. I do that all the time to fire up a browser to look up frequencies if I decide to land somewhere without planning ahead of time.

Or alt+return to minimize FS window. I agree with the continuous music during the long download. I muted my PC.

For me, even simply pressing the windows key works.

If you get tired of playing, or you crash, in order to exit the application, you first have to go to the main menu. Things take so long to load that it would be helpful if you could just exit without having to go to the main menu first.

1 Like

Then just [Alt] + [F4]

1 Like

Second the Alt+F4 here. I think this is possibly one of the fastest Sims to exit directly to Desktop I’ve used in a while. (Background process sits there for about 15 seconds, but it kicks you back to Desktop almost immediately)

1 Like

I have a dual monitor setup with MSFS 2020 displayed on the left one so this might not work with a single monitor. I exit by right-clicking the MSFS 2020 icon in the taskbar, (right monitor), then left-click “close window”. It is immediate!

I use Alt+F4 as well, it’s easy and reliable.

Discourse Pro Tip - Use the <kbd>Alt</kbd> to produce Alt

4 Likes

The only issue I can see here is the fact that the flight logbook may be adversely affected - meaning it will not be updated to reflect what amount of time (and all the other flight logbook data collected) you flew by bypassing the return to main menu.

But if that is not an issue for some, then sure a quick exit is good.

I agree, when I hit quit, it takes me back to the beginning and I have to quit again by closing on task manager. If someone has better way of exiting, I am game.

1 Like

What wrong with ALT + F4, that instantly closes the sim to the desktop.

21 Likes

Just press ALT + F4 and you’re done.

Edit: @AndyDigital beat me to it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Task bar, you can exit any time. “Close window”

3 Likes

It’s actually pretty impressive how quickly and cleanly FS closes with alt-F4 or hitting the X in windowed mode but it would still be nice to put it in the UI.

1 Like

Programs typically do some housekeeping tasks when they are being shut down. A program as large as MSFS is certain to do this. These tasks may not be critical, but they will not get done if you suddenly kill the program. This could cause some problems down the road, like temporary files filling up your hard drive that would have been cleaned up if you shut down the program correctly.

7 Likes