Add-On Scenery File Names

I have a folder full of MSFS2020 files I get from flightsim.ro where people put up their add-ons. I would like to suggest a standard format for lableing these files so when we read their names, we can see what the file is. People are attaching all kinds of file names that do not indicate anything. For example: redsstd_c62N8

I have no idea what this file is and no way to find out unless I download every file from the site over again and try to paste it into the folder of files I already have, where it will tell me if I want to overwrite it.

And I will copy and paste this suggestion over at that forum, also.

Simply having a basic file format structure or at least spell out a clue as to what it might be would be very helpful and time-saving. My time here is running out and I dont like wasting it trying to figure out what file is what.

2 Likes

You can rename the root folder of a community mod to whatever you want for easy tracking. Just don’t rename anything inside it.

I agree to the topic author some basic suggested file naming scheme would be helpful. Content creators certainly wouldn’t need more time to name a file Mytown_POIs_authorname_version than redsstd_c62N8.

Yes, you can rename the original file or the mod main folder, but this is certainly a source of confusion.

1 Like

I don’t disagree that there should be a more standard naming convention. It would make for a much cleaner community folder. It’s chaos in there when you ahve a bunch of add-ons.

2 Likes

I rename virtually everything that goes into my Community folder. The first word is usually what it is, as in Airplane, Airport, Scenery (other than airport), but I have to Library files that start with “.Library” in order to put them at the front of the line when loading.

1 Like

Official “guide” from Asobo wants this as a naming convention:

2 Likes

Those annoyingly random letters at the end of the file names are actually added by the filing system of flightsim.to, not the authors.

1 Like

Except when you store these zips in a folder and you download a newer version and place it into that folder, the file names have to be identical so it will overwrite the previous one.

Good. This needs promoted more.

Yeah, that’s not helping.

redsstd_c62N8

(Red’s stadium in Cincinatti) I got this one. I used a poor example, but there are worse file names. Like this one LOL:

vNeCmbqdUyDx.zip

(Three Mile Island, it says in the folder inside, luckily) Many do not. None of them include a read me file anymore, for some reason.

2 Likes

This should be reposted in the SDK section of the forum.

I got about 30 files from there the other day. Well, that was actually almost 2 weeks ago. Including redsstd_c62N8. Today I have time to go in and install… However, I have no clue what 1/4 of them are. What is with the asinine naming of these files people are doing? Seriously, only ■■■■■■ are so arrogant that they do this so no one has a clue what it is…

1 Like

Or they put them in folders inside of folders inside of folders…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.