ADF outer card not controllable?

Its been a long time since any Updates to the Islander.
Amazing it has survived so many MSFS System Updates !!

But, is there a way to make the Outer Compass card on the Islander ADF rotate ?

The ADF gauge, as Modeled in this model Islander, would appear to be an automatic one, where the compass card is servo synced with the Gyro compass, ( because the Model does not have an ADF adjustment knob )

… but it seems to be missing the code to make it automatically sync with the Gyro Compass (or it has been broken by a recent update ?)

it is a fixed compass card where the needle shows a relative bearing to the NDB
this was set in v1.3.0

“FIXED - ADF card now shows Relative bearing not NESW style card”

I saw that, but it did not register with me what that really meant.

If the ADF does not have an adjustment know, which implies the outer card is servo synced with the Gyro Compass, which it is not.

Manual ADF
manual adf

Automatic Slaved ADF

But in fact, on close examination, it looks like the ADF should have a Manual Knob, but it is missing.

Real World Unit
adf-hdg

MSFS Unit (Missing heading knob)
msfs-adf

HDG is on the MSFS ADF Panel, but there is no Animated Knob modeled !!

Oh well, it looks like the card is not animated to rotate in any case, so even if you assign key-binds to “ADF_CARD_INC” , and “ADF_CARD_DEC”, there is no movement.

Shame, apart from that, the Islander is a nice plane to fly.

Still, it is amazing that such a blunder slipped by after all this time, and nobody seems to have picked up on it till now.

I did actually, back in May:

There is NO animation code to rotate the Outer card … so it cannot work at all !!

Dev will have to fix it – or not … not holding my breath…

When I said it should rotate I meant if it was working properly. I don’t have this and I’m kinda happy about that right now but from what you guys have said I understand it’s not implemented correctly and that the dev will have to have a third go at getting it right.

If it ever gets up to the level of the Torquesim or even the Nimbus Islanders for Xplane I might be tempted.

I beg to differ… there are indeed THREE Types of ADF
(See image)

adf6

OK, so there is such a thing as a “Fixed-Card ADF” and that is what is being simulated, or at least, what is being simulated in the last version update (I’ll resist calling it the latest version, as it has not been updated for quite a few MSFS updates) Definatly a KING as depicted on the Front Panel.

But was the Islander ever fitted wit one of these early ADF displays ?

King manufactured two types.

Variable-card ADF, with a knob, of which there are numerous Photos of the real Islander, fitted with these.

ie

The BendixKing KI 227 automatic direction finder (ADF) indicator is part of a ADF system that has been the industry standard for 25 years. The standard version of this single needle indicator uses a knob to manually rotate the compass card to match your current direction.

The Upgraded version also seems to be pictured in some Real world Islanders.
ie

The upgraded version synchronizes the card in the KI 227 to a KI 525A pictorial navigation indicator compass card by a rotating SYNC knob. This saves the pilot from continually having to make adjustments. In this configuration, the indicator always shows your current heading.

Some of the MSFS Liveries show the HDG text on the Panel, but there is no knob fitted.

===
But it is what it is, and what the Developer has decided to produce,

I don’t like it, but its not something to get that upset about - after all, its only One Plane , and with a PITA ADF, I doubt if I will fly it that often when practicing ADF procedures – Plenty of other planes with Upgraded ADF gauges.

Interesting RABBIT HOLE !!!

If it did exist I don’t think it was ever in the KRA 86 that is in this model. So still incorrect.

If a real KRA 86 exists with what you are calling a fixed card I’d be happy to have learnt my new thing for the day. I happen to think it doesn’t hence my original statement.

I’m sorry but your making it sound like I briefly checked on some WIKI Page ?
this is not the case

I think you will find that the “fixed card adf” DOES indeed exist.
But nonetheless its quite a simple procedure in operation …
The NEEDLE points to the RADIO STATION as a relative bearing from the Aircraft

Ok so I’ve just done a bit of reading and it seems back in the day this was a thing. I stand corrected on the fixed compass card. It’s no wonder you don’t see them today.

It still doesn’t get over the fact that what is in this aircraft is not true to the real life unit I believe.

Im afraid the only error here is the spurious and Misleading HDG label, Implying an adjustment … It will be removed :slight_smile:

I guess that is the easiest thing to do, and would at least clear up any misunderstanding.

Are you suggesting the KR 86 does not have a heading knob or that what’s modelled is not a KR 86.

One other ADF related thing I haven’t gotten a round to checking in the latest version is whether the tuning knobs have even fixed. They had a bug where some configurations could lead to numbers not changing as the knobs are rotated. The frequency does change, a I checked it with SimConnect, so it looked like an animation bug only.

I learned to navigate using NDBs on one of those (fixed card ADF)… a royal PITA! It shows the relative bearing to the station, easy if you just want to fly towards an NDB (homing), very hard if you have to use them to triangulate your position on a map (especially in turbulence) or intercept and track a course. The mental acrobatics become confusing very quickly!

1 Like

I am simply suggesting it is a FIXED card unit and should not have an adjust knob

The only king adf unit looking like this one is the kr86 which has a button knob and a moving card (which looks different, label are inside the circle).
So if you remove the button and moving card functionnality , also remove the “King” logo, to assume creating an imaginary unit.

Thank you. That is where I was going with this but it seems the dev doesn’t want to admit that it’s not accurate to the real unit and wants to persist with this fictional unit. A simple we acknowledge it’s not true to the real unit and we will add a knob in the next update or keep the fix card indicator if they must and use an adf receiver that is more in keeping with that kind of indicator. It’s called attention to detail.

2 Likes