Adverse Yaw | Slip | Aircraft list

Maybe the current fuselage drag/ lift system is just a placeholder for the 2024 version:

Where’s that from?

at 12:55

1 Like

In the FSEXPO presentation for MSFS2024 they mentioned about moving the physics calculations away from the mainthread to free up more performace headroom for more advanced physics simulations.

So rather than MSFS2020 being a placeholder, it’s probably more that the current simulation is at the computational limit that can be achieved on mainthread with the MSFS2020 game engine. A limit that will be removed by the new game engine in MSFS2024!

2 Likes

I wonder if that includes AI airplane simulations? Could that be what’s slowing down all the airliners at big airports? :smiley:

1 Like

Fingers crossed they move everything onto other threads, and the mainthread will just be the ‘put it all together’ thread. We’ll get fantastic performance if that’s the case

1 Like

This maybe gives the option to solve the adverse yaw problem and make it more realistic in MSFS 2024 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looking very much forward to what the new wind tunnel dynamics will bring. Could be a game changer (but will also likely involve some unexpected results). Last night I was talking about how pretty much everything we currently fly is modeled single-tail, single fuselage, monoplane, etc, and all the benefits/penalties you get with designs outside of that are accomplished only by workaround.

To add: this speaks nothing of the drag penalties you’d get from the little differences in fuselage profile of “traditional” aircraft.

This is an exciting and welcome change, either way.

3 Likes

Yes, it will be interesting to see which devs go the distance and which ones go the quick route and continue the course from 2020.

I feel like we will see both.

1 Like

FWIW, and for comparison’s sake, I did a quick search through my aircraft addons folder. Precisely one fifth (1/5) of the hundreds of planes from various addons use CFD and modern prop physics. So I expect about the same ratio to use the updated stuff for FS24

3 Likes

Do we know if more than one wing can be modelled in 24.

Edit: Sorry jumped the gun. Just read biplanes above.

It will probably fall along the lines of “if it ain’t broke
”

The question will be why spend hundreds to thousands more person-hours to tweak and test things that will have unknown consequences, end up differing only slightly from the original, and get dragged in the forums, anyway?

Also, consider all the workarounds that went into conforming the flight model to real-world performance - do those become redundant? Would activating the new processes double up on what the numerical values originally affected? Will there be an easy way to A/B test?

You know what we need? A built-in “test pilot” mode in which the sim runs a routine of testing the aircraft in a lightweight version of the sim, under specified parameters, and spit out the values in graphs and tables like you’d see in a POH.

Takeoffs, climb rates, cruise at various altitudes, descent, landing. Plug in variables of weight, config, headwind, runway condition/slope, ISA variations, etc. You’d think it could run this in a few hours.

Or at least let us run the test flights in a very lightweight and customizable test environment, walled off from the main sim. Allow an instant reposition/restart/reload in whatever configuration we specify.

3 Likes