Aerial ground tiles changing/popping in

That is strange indeed. Always thought this is s a server/database issue, not an individual one. As soon as that Bing Maps issue is resolved, I’ll try without add-ons.

Hmmmmm. Same here so what could it be. Do you use WeLoveVFR? DX12? Rex AccuSeason terrain (mine does this in a lot of places even without that though).

It’s a stretch but maybe we can find a common factor between everyone that suffers this. I’m sure it’s more widespread.

@TorkCurve are you on DX11?

DX11 here. And I do have WeLoveVFR and AccuSeasons installed, plus some powerline/solafarm addons etc… As I mentioned, I will try without those in a bit… Maybe it’s leading to some conclustion.
But like you, I’ve had those popping tiles even before I started using AccuSeasons etc., so not sure if that is the issue…

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I am having the same problem

Could it be related to this outage?

Bing Maps Outage 2023-11-15 - Microsoft Flight Simulator / News & Announcements - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

No more Bing server, so no more ground tiles issue? :wink:

A mysterious outage whilst they fix something? :wink:

I use no add-ons, vanilla FS.

As a data point: I am not using any mods or scenery addons in my setup, frankly never have, just a few 3rd party aircraft in my community folder and high quality ones at that. I saw this issue on one or two flights way back around SU5 or 6 but have had otherwise very good terrain visuals up until SU13 when this tiling issue really started for me.

It seems to follow the aircraft in about a 3-5 mile radius and is haphazard in the appearance and popping in & out of tiles. Distances farther away look OK with only an odd tile off in the distance. I did notice that after the initial update I had about 4 flights with no problem, but then I had some kind of update to the XBox app and the tiling issue started after that. It was also at this time that I started getting the infamous Low bandwidth disco and reconnect, always on final just before crossing the threshold, on almost every flight. Never had that issue before either.

I have been methodically trying different settings in Options, on and off, of Bing maps, Photogrammetry, Clearing caches (all of them: Nvidia, Scenery etc.), different ethernet speeds, resetting my router, Bandwidth settings, Live weather, Rolling Cache changes and clearing, etc. All to no avail as the tiling problem remains and has not changed for better or worse. I still have a couple of other things I am going to try, but I am running out of ideas of what else I can do on my end.

Just throwing my experience into the discussion to hash out some ideas?
My PC specs:
My Current PC:
May 2023
Corsair 5000D Air Flow case, white
XPG Core Reactor Modular PSU: 80 Plus Gold - ATX 850 watt
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero AMD AM4 X570S Zen 3 Ryzen 5000
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X3D 8-core, 16-Thread CPU
Noctua NH-U12A, Premium CPU Cooler
MSI Geforce RTX4080 Gaming X Trio Graphics card w/ 16 GB VRAM
TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 3600MHz CL14 32GB (2x16GB) PC4-28800 Dual Channel DDR4 DRAM
Seagate Firecuda 520 500GB Performance Internal Solid State Drive SSD PCIe Gen4 X4 NVMe 1.3 : Primary Windows Drive (Win 10)
SABRENT 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive with Heatsink : D:/ drive
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
ASUS ROG Swift PG329 1440p, 165 Mhz IPS 32" monitor
Razer BlackWidow Lite TKL Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboard
Razer Viper Ultralight Ambidextrous Wired Gaming Mouse
HyperX Cloud II - Gaming Headset
TrackIr 5 Premium Head Tracking
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Throttle
Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip and VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base
MFG Crosswind Rudder pedals

Windows 10, Nvidia Driver 537.58, all other drivers, BIOS up to date
So there should be no problems on the hardware side.

I doubt it’s anything in your setup. I’m running vanilla flight sim, had the problem for months, and this week it seems to have corrected itself and I’ve changed nothing. It’s nothing to do with settings as far as I’ve ever seen or DX11/12. I think most agree it’s at the Microsoft end.

3 Likes

Yes

My Current PC:
May 2023
Corsair 5000D Air Flow case, white
XPG Core Reactor Modular PSU: 80 Plus Gold - ATX 850 watt
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero AMD AM4 X570S Zen 3 Ryzen 5000
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X3D 8-core, 16-Thread CPU
Noctua NH-U12A, Premium CPU Cooler
MSI Geforce RTX4080 Gaming X Trio Graphics card w/ 16 GB VRAM
TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 3600MHz CL14 32GB (2x16GB) PC4-28800 Dual Channel DDR4 DRAM
Seagate Firecuda 520 500GB Performance Internal Solid State Drive SSD PCIe Gen4 X4 NVMe 1.3 : Primary Windows Drive (Win 10)
SABRENT 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive with Heatsink : D:/ drive
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
ASUS ROG Swift PG329 1440p, 165 Mhz IPS 32" monitor
Razer BlackWidow Lite TKL Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboard
Razer Viper Ultralight Ambidextrous Wired Gaming Mouse
HyperX Cloud II - Gaming Headset
TrackIr 5 Premium Head Tracking
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Throttle
Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip and VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base
MFG Crosswind Rudder pedals

Win 10, DX 11, Nvidia Driver 537.58, all other drivers up to date

Figured I’d add another bug report to the stack as well just to be thorough.

1 Like

Users who have been experiencing issues with ground tiles today are likely seeing this due to the current Bing Data Server outage.

We are investigating this issue and will provides updates once they are made available to us.

Thanks,
The MSFS Team

Bing Maps Outage 2023-11-15 - Microsoft Flight Simulator / News & Announcements - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Thanks for checking, I’m home now and will take another look myself. Fingers crossed!!!

Really? But the ground tile issue has existed much, much longer than the outage. Why would the outage now suddenly be the reason?

5 Likes

For the avoidance of doubt, this has been happening for a long time today prior to any Bing data server outages and in the Isle of Man it has been happening since launch day of the sim. Nothing to do with today’s server outage.

6 Likes

Having seen the screenshots and issue descriptions posted specifically today, they coincide directly with the current Bing Data Server outage.

Thanks,
The MSFS Team

2 Likes

Having seen the screenshots and issue descriptions posted specifically today, they coincide directly with the current Bing Data Server outage.

… and with the general state of the sim for 1 year+ :smiley:

Or do you mean the screenshots that are clearly from offline mode, caused by the outage?
I thought we are talking about the different layers showing up as tiles, as in the video above.

4 Likes

It certainly doesn’t explain this, which has been happening since launch day of the sim and reported on the forum FEBRUARY 2021!! Appears to be the same problem, which you can not put down to today’s outage.

4 Likes

Maybe the problems from day 1 are the servers…

1 Like

I think Microsoft are saying we go offline, then all is well. Well, there’s a solution. So I imagine it will go bad again when the servers come back…?

1 Like