Aerial ground tiles changing/popping in

Yes, all areas I have found are in the U.S. I don’t know when it started popping up but I’ve seen it recently in places that I have flown before and used to be fine. Seems like its spreading.

The first place I noticed it was last year at Area 51, but it was more subtle than what we’re all seeing now.

I am in the central USA(wisconsin) and the farm fields etc are changing constantly now.

Yeah, parts of Wisconsin, especially central Wisconsin are a mess. Southeastern Wisconsin seems to be OK for the time being. Haven’t been around northern Wisconsin yet. North central Illinois was also doing it.

Is this a new issue in this area? Was it fine before?

I’m also very concerned. Other visual problems like LOD quality settings are IMO less important compared to this problem. These BING texture errors destroy the fun of low and slow VFR flying which is what many of us use the sim for almost exclusively.

Wittman Regional aka Oshkosh (KOSH) is the source of infection in the US! Just like the Isle of Man (EGNS) is the focus of infection in the UK! EGNS is the real origin! It was from here that the epidemic began its triumphal march!

Yeah, I remember the time when only the southern tip of Isle of Man was affected by this texture bug.

Here’s the reply I got when I filed a bug report on this for EGNS. “ Thank you for filing this report. In speaking with our Dev Team Contact, the World Scenery Team is aware of this. However, remediation requires entirely new UK region Aerial Data, which is not currently planned.”

So, don’t hold your breath….

The problem I encounter lately is also tile popping, but it mainly happens at airports. The tiles are small, like 20 x 20 meters, and often I see squares of grass or other vegetation right on the tarmac, taxiway or runway - where I would expect to see concrete.

When I use the drone view and go to a higher viewpoint, these out-of-place tiles sometimes disappear, and others pop up in new places. Quite an immersion breaker, particularly in VR.

It happens on stock airports, payware airports and freeware airports.
I disabled all my community folder content, but the problem persists.

I’m not sure if this is the same problem this post was created for, but I’d like to know if others have the same issue. This started a month ago, maybe 6 weeks…

Else, I have no issues with the sim, all works as expected. I have a high end PC.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Affects areas covered by the Bush Flights as well - the worst instance I have experienced was when flying around Courchevel yesterday, the closest tiles popping in were snowy, whereas the original tiles were all green!

I’m running DX12 with rolling cache disabled, Nvidia shader cache disabled, pretty high-end set up consisting of a 13700K and 4090 running a Quest 2 HMD.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I’d like to know how they would explain the presence of sheet music being used as ground tiles. Surely that isn’t a part of any current/outdated Aerial Data. It seems like there may be more to this than a “we need better data” angle.

Frankly, they’re going to have no choice but to figure it out soon. This is too big of an issue and too widespread. It’s ruining the experience of the sim. I don’t know how others feel, but whenever I see it, I immediately end my flight. There’s zero chance I can be immersed at that point and it just leaves me frustrated. & if it’s truly spreading to more and more locations, we’re going to run out of places to fly.

And I (who has zero experience in development) don’t think they need new data. The data itself is fine. It’s just conflicting with older data. They need to figure out what’s causing the conflict and fix that. One way or another, this can’t go unfixed, and shouldn’t have been left unfixed for this long. This should be the primary focus of questioning during the next dev Q&A.

It’s a newly built parking lot constructed by Oshkosh Defense to store their military equipment.

WOW!!

I completely saw that as sheet music. I even zoomed in on those photos and still saw it as sheet music.

That is some seriously crazy brain wants to see that as what it wants to see that as weirdness.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

All of Cuba and other areas around the Caribbean are also affected.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

It seems pretty clear that the problem is that the highest detail aerial imagery was taken at a different time to the other levels. Presumably Bing has been updating regions but not consistently at all levels.

The problem is not just while flying, the same effect is seen if you zoom in all of the way in the world map.

So the solution is to get consistent imagery at all levels, that was generated from the same photos. Luckily this sounds harder than it actually is. You can’t add detail but you can remove it, they just need to get the most zoomed in tiles, join adjacent ones together, and then scale them down as required to regenerate the lower resolution tiles. This can be done all of the way to the top.

If they need any help in scripting this up using ImageMagick then just ask. :wink:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Happens to me also, over Croatia, for VFR its a problem

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I very much doubt this solution would apply to all faulty areas. As example I can name Switzerland, which is suffering from the issue in certain areas. However, this issue was NOT introduced when the country got updated aerial imagery a long time ago. So how can the cause be the source material if it used to work perfectly fine a few months ago.

I agree with others that a fix for this should be priority above all else, since it is very much immersion destroying wherever the issue appears.
Does Asobo’s silence mean that they have no clue on how to fix this without breaking the bank? I hope not!

The key selling point of the sim (over other rivals!), is the look of it. Now it’s broken, that’s a BIG problem. And now I’ve tried it myself on the map you start to see the scale of the problem. No response to a problem of this scale is poor, it needs some focus brought to it - wonder if some of the sim sites or youtubers can help?

This is definitely worth noting. The newest imagery was fine in the US when it was implemented. This issue came later. Its being caused by some other change that Asobo has made. The satellite data itself is fine but something is causing older imagery to compete with it.

I think people are thinking it’s the bing data as the problem seems to be virus like, it’s spreading across various locations and more people seem to be experiencing it. It’s certainly very odd.