Aeroplane Heaven Chipmunk on its way (And now released)

A call to Chipmunk fliers - how about the (lack of) right-turning tendency when power applied at take-off?

I recall from my rather limited Chipmunk RL experience some years ago that the Chippy was a handful at take-off due to the strong right-turning tendency. I am missing this in the sim (auto rudder is OFF and wind is calm, of course).

The FSX Chippy from AH (marketed by JustFlight) was spot-on with this.

Other than that, the visuals are pretty good and it seems to fly by the number as I recall them. Nice. The only other thing I would welcome very much would be the free castoring tailwheel and simulation of the differential brakes when taxying. Though I understand the AH implementation is aimed at ease-of-use.

Thanks and happy flying!

Does your left tank fuel gauge also read zero no matter how much fuel you put in the tank?

1 Like

So interestingly, this happened to me during my first take off and I had to abord and retry because I wasnā€™t expecting it. I counteracted it with backpressure and left aileron and didnā€™t experience much right turning tendency on the second attempt.

Thanks for the post, KJ! Totally empathetic with your passion about the plane, and jealous you got to fly in one!

Would love to see your Newton when youā€™re done with it!

One thing I learned when taking screenshots is that the camera zoom setting can cause some serious distortion, especially with the drone camera. If you set it to 85-100 (depending on how zoomed you want the background), it keeps proportions pretty close. At the default settings, it significantly distorts objects as they approach the edges of the screen.

If you set the zoom of the view youā€™re using to 90-100, Iā€™d be curious to see if that solves the exaggeration youā€™re seeing.

Ground handling in taildraggers is severely borked in this simulation, still. So many planes get a weird sudden swing when they hit a particular speed thatā€™s not torque-related. Frankly, until Asobo fixes this issue, Iā€™d prefer that designers err on the side of taming the takeoff experience. If real planes were as deadly and unpredictable as, say, the Big Radials P-40 on takeoff, the second World War would have been a ground war because weā€™d have lost all of our pilots in training.

1 Like

I also noticed left hand fuel gauge is U/S. Really enjoying this aircraft at RAF Benson (6AEF).

Iā€™ve emailed their help desk regarding that and the left hand tank feeding only issue. Other than those two issues I quite enjoy it

Yep, Iā€™m seeing that as well, Itā€™s always on 0.

Oh yeah, this one is ā€œpure flying emotionā€.

3 Likes

Really glad I picked this one up, excellent warbird trainer! Going to an event tomorrow at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum and looking forward to checking out a Chipmunk or two!

4 Likes

No Aeroplane Heaven product has yet reached Xbox however they are doing the DC-3 that will come to Xbox for the anniversary addition so maybe they will start adding more to the Marketplace and Xbox but that certainly hasnā€™t happened so far.

1 Like

Love that museum. I miss going there since moving to Saskatchewan 14 years ago. If you do not have it, check into the Simaddons scenery for CYHM.

1 Like

1 Like

Hi,
Another favourite to complement my game.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong butā€¦Is the Flap operating handle working in reverse?.
All real life cockpit pictures I can find show the handle forward when flaps are up.

Thanks for an excellent model.

Can you switch to Asobo pilots in all variants or only some of them?

I think just the civilian one. One thing I noticed is both avatars are the same in the RAF chippy. Be nice if they were different.

1 Like

Ok so can someone answer me this question please? Is fuel only drawing from one tank? and if so do you get an imbalance, that affects the plane. I dont have it, I know little about this plane, was going to give AH a final chance, but I am worriedā€¦as I am reading ā€œFuel only draws from the left tankā€ which makes me think it has a right tank and the right tank does not get used, surly this would cause an imbalance which would result in the plane flying badly?

1 Like

I just tested this, once the left tank is empty, the engine dies. I didnā€™t really notice an imbalance either.

Thereā€™s definitely a fuel bug. I looked at the fuel system diagram and read up on it, it pulls from both tanks simultaneously. Thereā€™s ultimately only one line that goes through the fuel cock, pumps, and into the engine. The left tank is the only one that empties in this one, it always reads 0 on the wing, and it kills the engine once empty. I donā€™t know how that one slipped by their testers, but it seems like it shouldnā€™t be too hard to get a patch out for that :crossed_fingers:

Hereā€™s a screenshot of that diagram - itā€™s in the included POH in the Documentation folder.

2 Likes

jk5042 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk5049 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

5 Likes

Regarding the fuel issues, a couple things I found while digging through the cfg files as well as the .flt files which define the state of the aircraft when you load cold and dark, on the runway etc.
Flight_model.cfg - the default fuel tank selector is defined as 1 (all) but there is also a value of 16 for both tanks. Iā€™m going to try this but also, all the .flt files, at the very end have a fuel section and there are 2 parameters for tank selector and tank selector 1 and both are defined as ā€œLeftā€. Seems like it might correlate to our issues.

1 Like