together with these:
YF-K (00005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

YF-K (00002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

YF-K (00004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PZ-R (00007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PZ-R (00006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

PZ-R (00003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

2 Likes

Loving the way it looks and seems to fly decently as well. Once the generous community (thank you MNPOSTEMA4699) provides better sound and the price is right (cue theme music here), I’ll pull the trigger.

Also many thanks to JanKees for providing excellent liveries in spades!

2 Likes

This video might really surprise you as to what a genuine P-47d sounds like, not what I was expecting when it runs through all the gear… Lots of prop sound but it almost sounds like some of the hot rod homebuilt aircraft engines in the air… On the ground/start-up is a different animal…

1 Like

I have to disagree. This is probably the best sounds AH has ever had.
The FM is mostly decent although you’ll need to edit the flt files to fix the aileron trims.

Overall probably the best AH plane so far, gives me hope for the Lancaster,

1 Like

Thanks to @Nazarene455 great help, I’ve now linked the sounds of Flying Irons Hellcat to the P-47…and what a difference it makes! It isn’t the perfect solution, most switches don’t have sounds anymore and there is no difference in noise level between the canopy open or closed, but once the engine is running it’s a whole new experience. I’m super excited about @MNPOSTEMA4699 sound pack, hopefully that will further enhance the experience.

With the “new” Hellcat sounset the P-47 is very, very enjoyable. To me it’s without question Aeroplane Heavens best visual model so far, and especially the virtual cockpit is a massive improvement to previous releases. Even though the shade of green isn’t quite right it looks quite photorealistic compared to previous releases that often looked a bit like a shiny plastic toy. The outside model has a few inaccuracies like the razorback that is too wide or the wings being too thick at the wingtips, but that isn’t too noticeable and even Flying Irons aircraft, that are my favorite aircraft in MSFS, have some visual inaccuracies.

I also enjoy the flight model a lot and really like the takeoff and landing behavior. You need to use the rudder quite a bit, yet it feels quite stable and has no tendencies to any overexaggerated swings like many other taildraggers in MSFS. You can do very nice 3-point or 2-point landings with it, but if you don’t get it right it’s easy to bounce it too. Which makes for a rewarding and fun experience.

I think with the upcoming soundset, a few fixes like the trim and the disappearing cockpit in the external view and more great bare metal paintschemes from Jankees, this will be a fantastic addon =)

4 Likes

Their P-51 is a work of art in the visual department as well. I just finised a flight with it and dropped some shots in the Random Screenshot Megathread 4.

Man, I’m really itching for that P-47. If only it was a tad cheaper to justify the purchase for me. :smile:

1 Like

Beautiful screenshots! I always held back on the P-51, mostly because of the sounds, but also because there are a few aspects of the model I didn’t like too much. Like the too wide nose or the propeller. But in your screenshots, it looks fantastic! And if it should get the new Merlin sounds too, I’m probably going to get weak =)

The cockpiy actually disapears when zoomed out. Some odd texturing issue perhaps RX6700XT gfx card.
Atrocious on the ground once the tail is up, a rudder that size should work.
Aileron TRIM does not work, seriously…

2 Likes

Does it on my system too, think it’s a loading lag issue.

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed the lower nose to wing width, also the radiator intake is too wide & a bit out of shape. I really struggle with the takeoff in the Mustang, tried all the mods techniques etc. but nothing really seems to work that well. I have a full TPR & warthog set-up & am very familiar with tail draggers & rudder work.

The P-47 is awesome in the takeoff & landing arena, it does feel a bit unstable in yaw during flight though, wonder if the real deal is like that due to no tail strake & that massive prop.

I have also been thinking that maybe the sound issue is that they have somehow messed up the internal & external RPM soundset? I sounds pretty good in the external cameras & lot as loopy. I also love the low end sounds, taxying etc. they are very good…

Overall I do like the P-47, AH have done a great job with it, the textures & modelling are pretty ■■■■ good, especially in VR, it’s like a Cadillac. Nice little easter egg next to the seat on the RHS back corner… Guess he didn’t like his gal that much anymore!

3 Likes

LOD issues, reported to AH already, they are working on it.

1 Like

In VR Focus (zoom) doesnt work as it should (model wasnt tested and wasnt build for VR) but I agree, in VR it looks very nice!

They messed up the apron.flt and runway.fly files. Go edit them and change the AileronTrimdisabled=true to false

4 Likes

@jcweston351 I’ve heard that the earlier P-47s without the Dorsal Fin, can be a bit unstable in yaw. If I remember correctly, it was from a Warbirds in Review interview with Bernie Vasquez (pilot of the P-47 Bonnie) at last year’s Oshkosh, but I can be wrong on that one. I think it was him who said that if you’re not careful it can yaw heavily to one side in a dive and that it’s quite hard to get out of yaw unless you slow down. But again, I’m not 100% sure it was actually him who said it!

2 Likes

@Angel153951 I think the takeoff behavior is quite manageable and feels very convincing. The transition between the tree-point to the two-point position is the moment you need to use the rudder the most. If you apply more right rudder while lifting the tail, before the aircraft actually starts to swing, it’ll track straight without any issues. If you instead only react to the swing of the aircraft, you’ll easily veer of to the side.

I hope what I wrote makes sense, otherwise I can make a short video with a control input viewer to show what I mean.

1 Like

It made perfect sense to me. Well stated.

I noticed that too!
Also noticed, that the P-47D does not have a call sign, so ATC calls me: " . Did you copy my last transmission? "