Aeroplane Heaven P-47D released

Seeing this obvious lack of attention for all their aircraft and now for the P-47 I will not get it. Also, it’s hard for me to trust their flight model is accurate.
I’ll gladly wait for A2As version of this bird. Or mybe for a mod.

Thank you so much for finding and sharing this -

two more paints I just uploaded on fs.2:
Quack(0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Quack(0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Y8W(0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Y8-W(00004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Y8W(0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

8 Likes

Beautiful! But I don’t see “Fightin’ Gator” on FS.TO?

Interesting. Invasion stripes on the fuselage but not the wings. Is there a story behind that?

Just as the D-Day operation drew on, there wasn’t a need to have the top surface of the wing painted with the invasion stripes. As it was mainly seen as way to indentify aircraft from the ground. As the campaign continued stripes were removed from the upper surfaces of the wing but kept on the underside of the wing and the bottom part of the fuselage.

Nellie B (G-THUN) operates a similar paint scheme in the UK with only the lower surfaces painted with the D-Day invasion stripes.

1 Like

In late July, all stripes had to be removed from the upper surfaces for better camouflage on the ground, and later that year they were removed from the undersides as well, but on many occasions the stripes under the fuselage were left in place

2 Likes

in the pipeline:
turnip (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

turnip (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

turnip (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

turnip (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

1 Like

As per the discussion on invasion stripes:

• Full invasion stripes were applied within the few days prior to D-Day, June 6, 1944.

• A month later, in early July 1944 (some quote as early as July 4, and others as late as July 7th), the invasion stripes were ordered to be removed from the upper/top half surfaces. This was due to the fact that by then, both the RAF’s 2nd Tactical Air Force and the USAAF’s 9th Air Force had units of fighters based on the front lines in France, and they didn’t want invasion stripes on the tops of the aircraft making them stand out on the ground with the possibility of aerial attacks by the Luftwaffe.

• The next development occurred when it was ordered on August 19, 1944, that the remaining bottom wing invasion stripes were to be removed between August 25 and September 10, 1944. The lower fuselage stripes were still to remain for IFF purpose (“identification friend or foe”) to prevent friendly fire from sea and ground-based elements of the Allied forces.

• On December 6th, the final order on the subject was issued, that the remaining stripes on the fuselage were to be removed at the start of the new year, January 1, 1945. (On a related note, George Preddy’s final P-51D “Cripes A’ Mighty (IV)”, which he was shot down/killed by friendly fire on Christmas Day 1944, had partial lower fuselage stripes).

3 Likes

Great info. I hope this isn’t too far off topic, but just to ask briefly: would an aircraft entering service in the ETO after D-Day, but before the 1 January 1945 final removal date, have the appropriate stripes applied according to the rules at the time? Or would they have been left off altogether?

Yes, new/replacement aircraft gained the amount of striping in accordance with what the mandates were at the time.

1 Like

well this one had no stripes (but it flew in Italy)

had it (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

had it (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

had it (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

had it (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

had it (0009) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

had it (0011) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

6 Likes

Into the Blue Simulations just released his review for the Thunderbolt. I always find his reviews informative. Frankly, I don’t understand how something like the trim bug makes it through pre-release testing. Nevertheless, once some of the silly bugs are corrected, I may just pick this plane up as it is one of my favorites, and I don’t expect any other options to come to market. Community sound and improvement mods will only make things that much more satisfying.

2 Likes

There are plenty of flying P-47’s these days, of many models. I’ll be involved with one “soon” (sometime in the next couple of years).

Hmm, yes, they’re rare, but pretty easy to find.

:sparkling_heart:

AH released an aircraft with the aileron animations reversed so the trim bug doesn’t surprise me at all.

2 Likes

Oh, I agree. It doesn’t surprise me with AH, but in general, I don’t understand how a professional studio misses stuff like that, unless they only do the bare minimum of testing i.e. does the engine start/stop.

True.

Though at this price point they should not really be necessary :grimacing:

5 Likes

So, back at SU5, Asobo decided to reverse the direction of the trim template. It screwed up a ton of models, including Just Flight’s Warrior and Milviz’s Corsair among many others.

Apparently, because a lot of these vendors use their own code to control many of the functions of the plane, it wasn’t easy to change that code to implement Asobo’s change. It took quite a while for Milviz to fix their code.

True, by now, it should be old hat, but, who knows what goes on behind the scenes, who actually developed the control code for the P-47, and where that code came from. Perhaps this is a redo of an old model, and they forgot they needed to change that piece of code (it’s been quite a while since that change was implemented).

2 Likes

Find, maybe … but depending on where you are in the world, it might be hard to record one in terms of time and money spent. AH are from Australia. No idea how many P-47s are still around down under. Then again, it’s always possible to hire someone local around the target aircraft to record the sounds and send the recordings over the interwebs.

This issue is very common across many aircraft. Many, many developers have no idea how to properly fill out the general section of the aircraft.cfg. Unfortunately, it’s pretty arcane, and, if the plane doesn’t already exist in the Asobo database (although I’m pretty sure both Republic and Thunderbolt do), then it’s pretty roundabout how to properly code the aircraft call sign information. My bet is the type identification for model matching is also improperly written.

1 Like