Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

Why not tune the yaw axis for your device on Control settings? You can make it less sensitive.

1 Like

I don’t think we were talking about control sensitivities. I think the problem is that the plane seems overly sensitive to external forces i.e. wind changes and wind gusts, especially along the yaw axis.

1 Like

Understood. But this is interesting as it suggests that the force of the wind acting on the vertical surfaces of the aircraft are too strong. And this ties in with the other much-observed effect of weather-vaning on aircraft on the ground. I’d thought that the weather-vaning was down to lack of tyre friction, but maybe the new gusts are revealing the real issue here. If so, it should be the same across all aircraft types, although you would expect a high-wing, high-sided aircraft as the twotter with such a relatively large surface area (compared to the King-Air for example), to be more badly affected.

FWIW, I love the new atmospheric model (flying into KORS you could feel when you crossed water to land as suddenly there were risers!), but the gust effect does seem too strong.

I agree, I love the new wind and gust model, things are more ‘alive’. But it needs a bit of tweaking.

As an experiment, fly a G1000 plane and turn on the Winds display, and notice the wind speed. It’s constantly changing, literally multiple times per second. It’s basically oscillating. Some planes, like for instance the Otter and I feel also the JF Arrow, seem very sensitive to this phenomenon.

I’m not an expert at all, but I don’t think that’s quite right. So yeah, perhaps a bit of tweaking from Asobos side, and a little tweaking on Aerosofts side as well.

1 Like

I mainly fly the Kodiak and yes see the gust effect. It has improved after SU11.

What I found interesting was over the last 10 days or so I flew up the west coast of the US (live weather).

Some days the air was very smooth with minimal gusting others, the gusts were there, but low frequency and gentle. And then last night into Friday Harbour, it was like flying into gunfire with 12G15! So really very dynamic.

UPDATE: I found that the stupid turbulence setting was on in FSRealistic (totally unnecessary now with gusts in live weather). Things are a lot smoother now thats turned off)

My rather wing-low landing… Friday Harbour gusts - Create and share your videos with Clipchamp

2 Likes

I dont find it floaty at all and have no problems except in strong crosswind controlling alt with throttle this was a hated plane of mine then i dug it out and im loving it maybe ive just gotten better i dont know

1 Like

Yeah guys
I’m on the Aerosoft Twinotter 1.1.0 version.
Are there any mods you can recommend? Especially flight model mods?
In the past there were some on Flightsim.to, but they have been removed…
Any recommendations?
THanks a lot, Oliver

I’ve got some bad news for you, son.

10 Likes

Aerosoft really poo-poo’s anyone trying to fix things they won’t with this plane… Hence everything gone from flightsim.to

1 Like

It’s been discussed before, but there are ways of doing it without violating their “copyright” over a text file, which I still believe is spurious.

The only thing in some of those files that belongs to them are the values themselves. They don’t own the variables, they are owned by MS/Asobo. So in effect they believe they own the value of “96”, for example, and anyone that distributes a copy of that file with a different number is in violation of copyright law. :exploding_head:

So the way around this was to use a program that spat out the binary diffs of those text files, and distribute those instead. That, they were happy with.

What is that Forest Gump said? Stupid is as stupid does?

1 Like

Is that true? Reason enough not to buy the Twotter. I was contemplating it after the sound update, but in the light of cracking down on improvement mods (basically fighting against their customers) … No, thanks.

Do you have more information on that?

1 Like

It’s absolutely true, fairly well documented here, as well as on the Aerosoft forums themselves.

Yeah don’t buy this plane. It’s ****. I’m probably going to uninstall it, but I was waiting for the sound update just to see. If I’d known the above I wouldn’t have purchased it either on principle. Think about an alternative like the BN-2 Islander instead.

1 Like

I recommend it as well.
The only issue I have with the CRJ is the knob clicks on the AP are quite fussy, and it’s one of those issues that some folks have (I do), others, not so much.
Other than that, it is a very nice working reproduction that flies well, and worth the money.

3 Likes

I do have the Islander, which is great. The Twotter would be great to have, because it’s so iconic, but I really don’t like it when companies see their customers and community as their enemy.

10 Likes

Do buy this plane, it’s a massive amount of fun. :grinning:

5 Likes

I agree. Very good plane for the money.

3 Likes

People overreact so much…

It’s a simple side effect of the contract/licensing agreement between Aerosoft and Hans. The mod was redistributing copyrighted files, and Aerosoft have to stop that, or risk losing the copyright. There is no malicious intent, enemies or anything like that here. Just copyright law. Sucks? sure. Customers the ‘enemy’? nah

5 Likes

The copyright argument is dubious and no other developer seems to have this problem. The plane is good - not highest tier, but a lot of fun and definitely worth the asking price. The cachet of the real Twin Otter adds a great deal to the experience.

The developer’s manner of interacting with the customer base over this addon was less than ideal and well below par. Whether it is a reason to avoid doing business is obviously up to everyone’s individual ethics. Unfortunately, I bought my copy before the mod crack down, but I know where I landed on that decision.

9 Likes