Aerostar 600 Not Following GPS Course

Just got the fantastic Aerostar 600 and am trying to have the AP follow a GPS course. But as you can see in the screenshot it is not following the course.

Per the instruction manual I have the “HDG” autopilot mode activated and the HDG/GPSS switch set to “GPSS”. But the autopilot keeps turning away from the course.

Anyone ran into this problem and know of a fix?

Use NAV mode.

the manual specifically says to use HDG mode. it says NAV mode will follow the HSI Course needle.

Yeah I’ve seen that. NAV mode is what works for me.

This is correct, HDG mode, with GPSS selected on the switch, and CDI on GPS on your Garmin. From your screenshot, it looks like your plane is going away from the Magenta line. I believe you need to be on an intercept course to the Magenta, where it’ll then fly a 45 degree angle and then intercept the course.

However, if your plane just flew right through the magenta from the north side, then…..not sure what’s going on.

(I only use NAV mode when I’m doing pure VOR with no Garmin, and want to follow the radial.)

This works too, but if you change your yellow course on the CDI, the plane stops following the Magenta line. In HDG+GPSS, it follows the Magenta no matter where the course is set. From what I’ve read this is real-world behavior, meshing old-school autopilot with modern Garmin.

This explains it well:

That’s a good point. Thanks for the info.

you are correct, the plane flew through the course line. it did turn a little but not enoughj

Hi, if you are using MSFS 2020 then currently this does not work, turns out one of the simvars works different in both sims. It will be patched in a day or two.

I’ve not seen this issue, but I’m in 2024, so that explains it. Thanks for the update.

yes this is 2020. well that will explain it! thanks for the update I really appreciate it. will be looking for the patch in a few days

o easy to fix why did they sell it with this important feature missing?

Things get missed from time to time, updates to a sim can make a plane stop working properly etc.

Don’t know if I am off point here.
I had the issue where the aircraft would not track the magenta line at all.
My solution was to turn off the GYRO DRIFT in the controls section of the tablet. Now works spot on.
.