After flaps fix update WT CJ4 and A320NX Autpoilots not working

Have tried both the above aircraft today, fist time since the last “flaps fix” update and neither of them had a working autopilot. The CJ4 was flyable in that it held the required altitude but needed a hand on the joystick to stop it banking way left from the flightplan. The FBW A320 P just didn’t behave at all. My problem alone, or are others seeing this as well?

PS Ditto the default Club Crafter - Autopilot U/S

Have you updated the mods (if updates are available)? Since they incorporated the flaps fix they’ll probably be broken until it’s “unfixed”.

Renewed the updates on a daily basis. Latest for both the CJ and the FBW were today

Both planes work fine for me.

1 Like

I’ve been having a lot of issues with the FBW Development mod the last 2 weeks. So it’s not just you.

Do you have deadzones set?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have a simple joystick and no changes to the settings I had before, which worked fine. The thing about MSFS is that one day everything is great and the next it isn’t - To paraphrase Forest Gump “When you open MSFS you never know what you’ll get!” I’ll no doubt run a test flight each day to see if anything has changed, but, to be honest, MSFS isn’t really my #1 Simulator at the moment.

1 Like

Check your deadzones.
It may not solve your sim’s issue, but it has in a lot of cases.
MSFS has been known to change user’s settings, so confirm you have a 5-10% zone.
If it doesn’t solve the issue, you can always put it back!

2 Likes

I must be blessed or something but I never seem to have all the strange problems that others do with MSFS. It’s pretty reliable most of the time. Only exception is after a patch.

1 Like

I’ll try checking the dead zones, and to mdapol I’m tempted to say “just wait!” but that’s what frustrates me so much about MSFS. When it’s good it’s VERY good, but it’s just too flaky at the moment.

@ TheSevenflyer. Where are these dead zone adjustments? I don’t see them on the “Controls/Joystick” menu or on the keyboard menu.

Go into controller sensitivity in the settings menu and then look for dead zone. Make sure it’s around 5-10, but those numbers will vary depending on how sensitive your controller is. You can also play with extreme dead zones too. That usually fixes the crazy AP turning.

Also, you can completely delete the folders of the aircraft that are giving you trouble and start fresh. Hopefully that will fix the problems for ya.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have played around with the dead zones and also took everything out of my Community folder in case it was s “plugin” that was causing the issue. The lateral nav seems to be working, at least with the stock C172 the Autopilot is following the heading bug. However, the aircraft is bucking up and down like a bronco and as soon as I take my hand off the stick she noses hard down, no matter where the “dot” is on the sensitivity curve. I think deleting aircraft isn’t really an option as this is affecting EVERY aircraft that I try.

There is an issue with the A320, a close waypoint (less than 3 or 4 miles) can cause the AP to put the aircraft into a circling manoeuvre, which is so tight and such a high bank that the aircraft cannot maintain height. (It must be scary for the passengers !!)

I have to turn AP off, fly a little away from the waypoint, and then fly back towards the WP and re-engage AP. It’s a little strange, as normally the dodgy waypoint is the start point of the leg, and the WP the AP is supposed to be flying to is quite far away (10+ miles). It seems that the starting WP is not crossed closely enough and so the leg is not started until the aircraft crosses that initial WP.

The other issue I had was trim when turning off AP. Once the AP was turned off, the trim was left in either full nose up, and I had to turn the trim wheel like a maniac to get the aircraft to not stall, or nose down — I think it’s trying to kill me :¬)

Did you put the deadzone on the elevator axis as well?

Everyone says that but aside from the bugs that Asobo has introduced the last couple of patches. MSFS has been very stable for me. I really think it’s a case of people not understanding the way that the sim handles addons and a general lack of computer knowledge. On the other hand, I’m not like your typical Xbox player who expects it to “just work”. I’ve had years of experience tweaking X-Plane for hundreds of hours. I am taking a very hands on approach to the sim for now.

Glad someone else had this happen. I was flying the FBW A320 last night and it turned at a waypoint as it should…but then just keep turning and turning and turning in a rather tight circle while losing some altitude. Turned off the AP. Took manual control, pointed it towards the next waypoint, re-engaged and it was then fine the rest of the flight.

1 Like

Indeed. X-Plane was, and hell, still is a mess in terms of odd bugs and incompatibility issues. It’s almost part of the territory when it comes to dealing with such a large and complex sim that’s trying to replicate so many interconnected systems. It’s really easy to make a change to one thing and not anticipate the ripple effect it can have on something that would seem unrelated on the surface. True of both game updates as well as add-ons. Especially if you’re going to enter the realm of third party add-ons and even more so freeware, you need to have patience and be ready to spend at least some of your time troubleshooting on occasion.

1 Like

Quick reply. Yes, I did adjust the elevator dead zone, almost to the point of the curve no longer being a curve, but the aircraft still dives as soon as I release to joystick. I am an experienced “X-Planer” myself, so I knew well enough to empty the community folder in case it was a compatibility but, no difference. I have submitted a bug report to the Zendesk.

There are a few posts lately about various default planes doing similar.
You aren’t alone.
Unfortunately, it seems most don’t have the issue!
Does it still happen if you unplug the controller?