After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

you are right that all those metrics are needed to debug and analyze the issue. BUT none of us has a computer lab at home AND we are the customers it is not our job to debug everything for the devs. We see and experience it day by day that there are issues and we can at least provide some information / metrics about to issue to give some hints to the DEV team but the hard work of analyzing it down and finally debugging it is still part of their job and most probably only they have the proper equipment to do so. So yes I get your point and technically you are right but please stay fair and realistic about what can be done by whom.

2 Likes

Agreed in most of what you say but I was especially talking about the most basic information some donā€™t even provide like a list of drivers.

There is a windows/DirectX tool called DxDiag (DirectX Diagnostics Tool) which can export a list of all drivers installed related to audio and video.

The build version of the OS can be viewed by hitting Windows key + Pause key. As well as the processor used.

Even a monitoring tool (perfmon) is actually part of windows, so one does not need to have a ā€œlabā€ to provide a bit more than ā€œThis **** does not work fix Asobo!ā€. :wink:

Thatā€™s why I said "as much information as possible knowing not everyone is a QA out there. Anyway there is a lack of what kind of information a user should at least provide - that should have been described by the devs/community staff as over time performance related issues are hard to be analysed if they only happen on some system constellations.

Stop trying to shift the blame onto the users.

This is a huge show stopping bug that affects countless users and is unacceptable as is the current state of the ATC and a long list of unfulfilled promises and half finished others or things just turned off because they are so bad.

6 Likes

I have uninstalled the ā€˜gameā€™ and i feel like itā€™s the best decision i ever made.
They clearly do not care about the affected users, if they would we would have seen clear coms and apologies.
When i see how others developers for other ā€œ!!!Sim!!!ā€ communicates and share progress for upcoming release i am just blown away.
Msfs might get decent performances at some point, during su9 beta until last 2 patch, the performance was really good, since that they have made a choice and are betting on su10 and beta dx12 to compensate for the issuesā€¦(i doubt it would work as we hope as it will still be beta stageā€¦).
Wasted soo much time with this game that i only come here to realise how good my decision was.
Uninstalled and parked, for good.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fine post but in my case, using a high-end machine with all updates installed and drivers all current and in fairness MSFS runs very well most of the time, giving 50-65 fpm butā€¦ then I get the occasional day where the sim grinds to almost a standstill after 4 hrs+ use, giving around 5 fpm whereby I have to exit, and restart.

I have had this issue to varying degrees since Dec. 2021 to the present day. I had very good and consistant performance during the first six months of 2022, but now Iā€™m having occasional severe loss of fpm after 4 hrs or so of flight with both default and 3rd party airliners.

Clearly thereā€™s more going on than just a configuration issue with my rig. No-one can shed any light on the random nature of the problem.

My experience echoes that of so many other users that itā€™s too convenient to blame individual players. I strongly suspect the problem lies with Asobo rather than with the end-users.

5 Likes

Would an apology fix anything?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fine post but in my case, using a high-end machine with all updates installed and drivers all current and in fairness MSFS runs very well most of the time, giving 50-65 fpm butā€¦ then I get the occasional day where the sim grinds to almost a standstill after 4 hrs+ use, giving around 5 fpm whereby I have to exit, and restart.

@Delta2k5 and exactly posts like that make it very unlikely to be just an individual issue for some users. It is remarkable that most of us complaining about those performance issues and stutters seem to have those effects occur after about 4 hours - coincidence? I donā€™t think so.

As of the progressing nature I would bet there is some memleak going on and finally the CPU/GPU gets too much load in a spike and then itā€™s over. Also the newly created issues with memory could not be read errors or breakpoints which have been reached are clear signs of bad programming which has to be fixed by Asobo.

I think it is also very strange why only one CPU core is utilized most of the time and the rest is almost sleeping. This behaviour has been reported like a year ago and still nothing happened? Multi-Threading is nothing new and should definitely be kinda Standard for a modern game which indeed requires a lot of ressources and power to deliver such a great experience like it could. Unfortunately we see a continuing decrease in graphics quality and overall rendering quality as this seems to be the only way the devs can achieve a little more stability.

I know it is easy to talk as a customer wishing this and that and complaining why it is not working. To be fair it is a mega project to accomplish what Asobo and MS have started here and there is so much potential in this sim. But on the other hand MS is one of the biggest IT companies with loads of manpower and infrastructure behind it and also Asobo is not new in this business so yes I think it is acceptable that we as customers who already paid for a ā€œworkingā€ title expect this to actually work. I still donā€™t get it why Asobo continues working on new WU to give us more and more content while there are soo crucial defects? I would concentrate all my teams on fixing and analyzing those annoying defects to finally get a stable and solid base to build upon. You know what I mean?

2 Likes

The sim is fairly well multi-threaded already. It would not be playable on a single-core processor.

The issue is not so much the lack of threads, but the efficiency of the work done by the threads.

In my case yes, an apology would show a state of mind.

To be fair if you had some sort of Cray Super 20ghz single core machine it would run, probably with less stuttering :smiley:

I see what you mean. Itā€™s possible itā€™s because this has been dragging on for a while.

When I was flying with X-Plane, and my sim crashed due to a bug in the then-new Vulkan version, I donā€™t remember s single user on the XP forums demanding an apology over anything.

When someone demands an apology for something, to me it always reads with an air of self entitlement. Personally I wouldnā€™t want an apology. I would want them to fix the sim. That is more important than Jorg, Seb, and Martial being paraded around on stream in sack cloths, and ashes, beating themselves with reeds.

On the issue of how multi-threaded trim is, itā€™s my understanding that one thread has to coordinate all the others, keep them in sync as it were, and that thread will most likely always be the busiest. That thread will run on one core, so the whole thing can only run as fast as the fastest core.

I will be interested to see how this pans out with Intels 13th gen. chips. Those chips will have so called efficiency cores. My hope is that this governing thread doesnā€™t end up on one of those.

The devs have probably already hard-coded thread priorities/affinities in such a way that it wouldnā€™t be playable on that theoretical PC.

Yeah but the diff in that is, when xplane release the vulkan version, you still had the rock solid directx/opengl version that worked. They didnt release a brand new sim with the new vulkan and then watched as their users wallowed in issues.

3 Likes

I think the bug is related to the live weather. The live weather is broken and no cloud before the fps drop. reload the online function is no use. I found that the issue is happened in real UTC time 6-7am and the long haul flight only.

Well I used to think that as well, except there have been times that this has occurred here where the fix was to turn off PG, and all of a sudden back to normal, with live weather on. Sometimes turning off a networked feature and then turning it back on works, and sometimes not.

Sometimes its been extremely high latency on my connection and trimming it down until the connection is clean works ā€¦ and sometimes not.

But in the end after you try all these workarounds to get the program to function the way it should, I just dont feel like playing the game anymore. Pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.

3 Likes

Your computer is a black box basically

Thatā€™s absolutely not true. Logs exist for a purpose :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only if provided, they are not automatically sent :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same experience for me, FPS-bug=no clouds. I am still not sure if it has anything to do with flightime. Last time I got this bug was about 3/4 hours into my flight. Yesterday I flew from EDDF to KIAH (about 10 hours flightime) and no FPS loss or loss of weather. I did get a few ā€˜ā€˜connection lostā€™ā€™ messages just before top of descent. Last time since this bug happened to me nothing in my game/PC setup has changed. No Sim-updates, no settings changed, same PC.

Havenā€™t paid attention to the UTC time when I experience this bug, will do next timeā€¦

Honestly I do not use this buggy sim until this issue is fixed!!! Every flight constant fps drop after flying time more than 1 hour. Reinstalled, no addons, empty community folder, high end rig. This is a shame and very frustrating right now.

Get it already fixed with a small hotfix, gosh.

3 Likes

Been unable to fly since mid April during Beta (Vr only).
We are meant to wait 26th of Augustā€¦what a joke.!!!

3 Likes