After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

It is the real live traffic causing this FPS Drop problem. You do not have to disable the complete online functionalitiy as I described in a post above but just disable the real live Traffic at the data menue , then go to the cockpit and then again in the menue and enable the real live traffic again. After that you also have to choose the real live traffic option unter “traffic” again, because it will be automatically disabled when you diable the real traffic at the data menue.

2 Likes

if the monitor supports it and has it enabled, then yes, you should be able to find a setting in the Nvidia control panel. Once that is enabled, disable sync in the sim

1 Like

I agree with @LHA206
Just disable the live traffic. It’s what I did, now a few hours later the fps are still stable

thank you!

1 Like

I wonder why this affects some, and not others in that case. I always have live traffic enabled. Is your geographic location in the sim a contributor, perhaps?

1 Like

To prevent the splitting of votes, some of the following posts were merged into this topic:

After the 1.18.15 update, my performance had improved significantly - although many non-performance bugs remain - and I was quite pleased. However now I can fly smoothly for the first 20-30 minutes, but then I get occasional freezes, and twice FPS on approach dropped all the way down to 5 or 6, rendering the game unplayable.

In so many ways MSFS 2020 is the best simulator I have ever run, but the recurring bugs and performance issues, apparently related to practically every update, are hard to understand. I have not made any changes to my system configuration or in-game graphics settings since 1.18.15.

2 Likes

Add-on causing a memory leak possibly, you don’t say where or what in

This was a huge problem prior to SU5. The performance/graphics improvements in SU5 fixed this problem but caused graphics problems. WU6 should have fixed the SU5 graphics problems. Now I’m wondering if fixing the graphics issues have reintroduced the pre-SU5 performance problems.

Bad install, uninstall (properly, remove leftover folders) and reinstall, after you tried everything else

1 Like

Yup and I can’t say it often enough but if a mod came with an installer it must be uninstalled properly and not just deleted.

1 Like

I noticed exactly the same thing yesterday. ie. Massive stuttering on final approach to Heathrow for a duration of about 10 seconds.
This was happening before SU5.
Then it seemed to be sorted in SU5.
However, now after World Update 6 this stuttering seems to be back.

1 Like

Just sitting at the runway now, with 3fps according to the steam fps counter, 10 according to dev mode. Completely unplayable.

I had just completed a successful flight with no problems, and have completed multiple flights with no problems since the update.

Funny thing is, pressing ESC and getting the pause menu made the fps better, until I unpaused. Disabled all online functionality, didn’t resolve the issue.

2 Likes

I had this issue also, disabled live traffic and oddly enough it seemed to sort the issue out.

2 Likes

I guess many people use the sim for a few hours and don’t really notice the drop. Or they don’t use the sim long enough to actually see the issue. Today I saw it on a 5 hours flight after about 2 hours only.

1 Like

I’ve had regular >2 hour flights with live traffic, and have never seen it. I only fly GA, hence my earlier comment about airliners, but there are a TBM, and Caravan user reporting it. I fly the Caravan a lot myself, and still not seen it.

Even during a weekend live stream, where we might be flying for 3 hours, for example, I’ve not had it.

There has to be something else at work here, as it doesn’t seem all that cut, and dried. Considering the number of posts on this thread, it doesn’t seem like its that widespread.

yeah it’s possible. But also the fact that fps decreases gradually over time. It doesn’t just do a big jump. It’s really over time that the decrease happens. If it doesn’t decrease below a certain fps number, ou might not notice it if you don’t have a few on the fps. On a longer flight, like me doing a 747 flight from Sydney to Chicago, I saw a decrease from 60 to 15. That is noticeable but it took around 12 hours to be that low. Today I saw a decrease from 75 to 45. You wouldn’t notice it without a fps counter. But once I disabled live traffic it jumped immediately back to 65 and above.
It is a strange bug. I mainly use the west Europe server. But in the sim, I saw it in different areas.

I filed a bug through zendesk. Let’s see… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have found that setting the Off screen cache to low after a long flight brings back a huge chunk of my performance, Maybe the cache isn’t being emptied over time so it fills up, fps went from mid 50’s to low 30’s then when I set off screen cache to low from ultra my fps went back

As you discovered, the developers FPS counter is broken not displaying FPS below 10 FPS. Bug report submitted about three months ago. Now the “official” FPS counter is accessed through the Xbox Game Bar (Win+G).

Prior to SU5 low FPS below 10 were usually caused by memory filling up because the CPU was too busy rendering to process incoming graphics. Remember the “single core MainThread” issue? A fix was delivered in SU5 to move rendering off the main core. It looks like from your photo that the rendering was moved to a different core but it still isn’t rendering fast enough.

Using ESC menu to pause the sim gives time for the CPU to process the graphics files in memory. This worked pre-SU5 to temporarily improve FPS.

Moving the rendering to a different core in SU5 didn’t fix the rendering problem. It just moved the problem to a different core.

2 Likes

That change was specifically for the rendering of glass cockpits, I believe, not rendering in general.

1 Like