After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

I’ve been having the same issue. Just starting happening last night

Flight always starts off nice and smooth. After an hour or so it will start with some light FPS drops and sound stuttering and will progressively get worse and worse until its unplayable.

Hoping someone knows of a fix.

2 Likes

Just got the same issue and I think I’ve found the culprit in my case, which is the VFR map. After some experiments I’ve found that opening the VFR map at any time during the flight, even if you close it after wards, will results in severe stutter the longer the flight went on, and the GPU usage slowly dropped from 98-100% to 70-80% then to 35-40 where the game crawls to a halt.
The “Coherent GTUIThread” and “GTDraw” shows huge latency and is slowing down the game. Then I started a flight where I never touched the VFR map and the issue mostly went away, no more degradation.

For me degradation happens even without opening VFR map. Mostly I fly without it.

See this video: MSFS | Performance Degradation Over Time - YouTube performance drops before I open VFR Map.

1 Like

Same issue here. I always get a stable 30-40 fps with my 3070, but yesterday I started experiencing some weird fps drops to 10-12 which rendered the sim completely unplayable. Strange thing is that if I went on with my flight at some point it would go back to normal functioning but then after a while another drop. The only solution was to basically cancel the flight as it was impossible to continue. Nothing like that had happened to me ever before and my computer is only one month old so I can’t believe it’s a hardware issue.

Having this problème too…
Asobo please fix that !

Here’s to the new year and hope that Asobo will fix this problem that is even affecting people that have spent huge amounts of money on hardware to run this sim and are having the same fps problems with long flights. I hope they put their top programmers on this one to finally solve this huge problem.

I think the problem is not only with long flights anymore. At least in my case, it takes a couple of minutes after the launch and fps tank severely. Never happened to me before. Gotta be the server issue as other guys have been reporting same thing recently.

1. Same happend to ME, like i got 30-40FPS about 7 days ago, now is 15-22 FPS max. And is extreme unstayable

Maybe some more people can post a screenshot of the developer mode FPS meter while this is happening so we can see what the bottleneck is. Until now this was the best description of the problem including screenshots:

unknown
Like me happend today, in CRJ-900 from Aerosoft. Like few days ago i got easy 35-40 FPS, and today 8-15FPS!!

Had the same Problem today. After flying a Cessna 172 around East Austria the sound start to stuttering and then after a few minutes the FS freezes completely. It seems that is a serious problem - but no clue what it could be… any new information about this problem? Any idea which Add on it could be? Or happens that also when the simulator is clean?

Just wondering: Do people have live weather on (even when it is down) when experiencing this?

After about two hours when the CPU bottleneck takes over and things start to get slow i can only restart the flight to fix it.
Turning off weather/AI or even all online services doesn’t help. Changing aircraft mid flight doesn’t help either.

Today i will fly a 2 or 3 hour flight and post the before/after screenshot of the builtin fps meter.

In my case issue persisted with or without live weather. The only thing that fixed it for me was to go back to main menu and cancel the flight. Then fps went back to normal levels. Really weird.

But did you have live weather on when starting the flight?

Can’t remember right now, but I believe it might have been on. I mean I switch it on myself at the beginning, shortly after I spawn at the airport. Before it’s set to off - a habit of mine which stayed from the lovely period of the temperature spike bug:) so I guess it was initially off and then I switched it on myself at the very beginning. I might have not tried to keep it off completely.

Yesterday i didn’t and i still had the performance degradation.
Still doesn’t mean it doesn’t have something to do with live weather though.

You are right, if a memory problem is caused by a feature, turning it off doesn’t mean it will fix itself without a restart. That makes it so hard for us to debug this, hopefully Asobo will check it out.

1 Like

Honestly your screenshot makes things more confusing. Like normally you expect the main thread to be in the red. What is rdrthread. To see if its truly a slowdown, you should land, screenshot the dev mode FPS counter, then exit to main menu and spawn back in to where you left, and compare the FPS difference. Bonus if you restart the sim and spawn back in to compare.

I did try to switch live weather off mid flight - as it was clear skies anyway - that didn’t solve the issue. Will do some further testing today to check if I keep it off from the very beginning stops the bug completely.

1 Like

the same thing just happened to me. plane nose dived. The scariest thing ever happened to me