After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

I have no idea how but I was able to make a final and land with 4-8FPS and then as I’m coming down the runway the game crashes to desktop

2 Likes

you should check the GPU, most of us have this problem… but not alot emphasise enough that the GPU utilization is at 20% if not lower… it’s like everything goes to idle

-then you check your power plan, you see that you use performance mode, components still go to idle

I was looking today in nvidea forums about why the utilization is so low, can’t find anything usefull becuase i have all the recommended settings, drivers, and what not…

I can post my NVIDIA control panel settings if that helps?

Yes, last time in previous Q&A last week.

1 Like

Yes please

1 Like

Please let me know if there is anything I should change:

1 Like

Looks good to me, so yeah this is the problem… the only thing that is on the list now is faults in the application… this can only Asobo fix…

1 Like

One thing i would change is windows game mode, turn that off.

1 Like

thanks… if I turn that off, am I still able to use Game Filter? I use that to make the sim look a little bitter… nothing performance wise

1 Like

Yes you should be able to use it with game mode off

Y’all wanna hear something funny?

Doing a long haul from KIAD - HECA is a 10h flight already 7.30h in and i have no issues:

How?

Leaving it in exterior view for the longest portion of the flight, while sleeping.

This doesn’t work. What might give you an insight though is this: I am running prosim AR, I get the same performance fps loss. What I do is freeze the sim. Open dev mode and from within the dev menu bar on the top I reload the same aircraft and unfreeze the sim. FPS go back to normal. But this only can be done in propsimAR since it runs oputside msfs2020 and does not reset the aircraft status.

Although this time the sim didn’t stopped working in terms of issues I had, I still had this low FPS that caused a really bad landing…

I’d suggest Asobo look at the telemetry they selfs before handing it over to us

1 Like

Another data point from my flight today. (For this flight I was using a32nx but this happens vanilla aircraft with no mod as well)
1st pic is landing after 6hrs flight.
2nd pic is going back to the menu and reload at the arrival airport runway, same live weather, same time.
3rd pic is after rebooting MSFS then reload at the same arrival airport runway…
Usually my 11400’s one core is around 80% load at the handcrafted heavy airport and 60% in air, however when degradation happens one core sticks 100% in air.

Some may notice I am using 4k res and lowered render scaling but I have already confirmed this doesn’t affect the issue, I have same issue even at the 1080 native.

I would appreciate if anyone have suggestion but, pretty much I am just hoping Asobo can reproduce and identify the issue.

1 Like

Change the time of day your fly your tests? I start my day at 430 am, Im usually in the air by 600 am. Used to be I would get fantastic performance up until around 800 am. The the weirdness would start to begin.

Try again at 1000 am and all would be back to normal until around lunch hour then things would start to get flakey again.

Rinse and Repeat.

And the strangest things is that after 1700 hours the sim for the most part will run flawlessly. I can run long run flight without loosing FPS etc.

Now the ISP I have is trying to resolve a latency issue (for the last 6 months) and they even increased my bandwidth from 110 to 220 but still the latency persists, but the thing is that the sim seems to still exhibit this behavior even after the bump in speed.

A key question would seem to be

Does this 40 to 5 FPS affect “X-BOX S” and/or “X-BOX X” users ?

1 Like

I have seen reports from Xbox players on the issue.

I that case, it probably does not matter what variation of PC configurations and PC setup that PC users have, there is a good chance that it is common to the application.

As a PC user, I am encouraged to know that it also happens on the X-BOX, as that would seem to be an overriding reason for Asobo to address the issue, instead of passing the blame off to particular PC configurations.

With 2000+ post already in just this one Thread, the amount of data and information reported is overwhelming, and it therefore comes as Good news, that it happens on the X-Box platform as well, so at least initially, all these reported unique and specific cases and theories can be put aside, at least till the basic issue is corrected on the Common X-Box platform.

Fix it on the X-Box, and it will most likely be fixed on the PC.

Key, is Asobo Devs being able to reproduce it, and the mystery is why they have not been able to do so yet. ?

That being said, I have spent considerable time, trying to change everything I could possibly do, to stop this FPS drop happening on my PC – so much so, I have completely lost track of all the things I have changed.

Now, recently, I no longer seem to be getting this FPS Drop, ( or CTDs) even over 10+ hours of flying the same route, with the same plane that use to cause this issue.

So, for the time , my personal attitude is “If it ain’t broke, don’t change a thing” !!
(and keep a full image backup of what is now working !!)

1 Like

Yeah I dont have an Xbox either. The funny thing is when I do a clean install on the win10 side of things, the seem like to display the xbox panel in the loading screen, and after about 3 or 4 days all of a sudden those screens go away back to the normal loading screen.

Now A clean install on win 11 doesnt exhibit this behavior. Also I was digging around the router the other day trimming things a bit and noticed in the QOS section, my machine was appearing in the balancing section 4 times 2 for win 10 and 11 and then 2 more as xbox machines. I delteted them and so far they havent re-appeared, but not I have to wonder it has something to do with the issue.

But yeah I came to that conclusion awhile ago, if it aint broke … but on the other had I have found that doing this and that can remedy issues, from one update to the other. The trouble is what fixed problem x in su4 now hoses su7 lol go figure…

I agree with what you say, but at the end of the day, it is not for ME to “go figure” – its for Asobo to “go figure” it out. :wink:

And it is a issue that is unlikely to go away now by itself, so eventually they will have to sort it out.

My 2 cents

ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects: :scream: