After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

I gotcha, but for me it turn into well I got nothing better to do. I just went in and retuned my routers QOS, flew may benchmark, and lo an behold, the seams that are there since for as long as I can remember are gone, the lake is actually smooth.

So no instead of having 260mbps with 50 ms of latency I have 120mbps with 1 ms of latency and I have to say the sim looked alot better. And I think that is actually the real issue , is the re-sends of incomplete data. Sure I can get 220 mbps but the latency represents data being resent. Now since things are streamed, if the main program has to wait on say the weather stream or the PG stream to be resent to catch up then isnt the main program slowed to some extent?

Would explain why the devā€™s dont see the problem as well, since theyā€™re probably on a better connection then most normal users. I have seen many people say oh I have a 2gig connection, but when they do more extensive tests, they find they really arent getting all that 2 Gig at all ā€¦

yes !!!
Imagine the growing list of things requested, that you are waiting for, but now may never get !!

ie
ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects:

Then there is TCP & UDP :wink:

At the end of your comment you say you no longer are getting the FPS or CTD issues. Can I ask what you did? My sim runs great until after a couple hours. Totally agree with you that this doesnā€™t seem to be hardware related.

Same here today ā€¦ EDDE - LGSK - EDDM , about 4,5 flight time in totalā€¦ on my way back to eddm, about 30 min prior landing the simā€™s performance dropped down to about 10-15fps ā€¦ main thread ms raised ā€¦ cant explain itā€¦ no other process outside msfs started or changed during the hole tripā€¦i had a feeling that disk read/write activity incrased ā€¦ dont know maybe vss in the background (due to the ms store virtual hd ?)
cant be honestly, but i think its related to something around disk usage which started to do something

So I just completed a 14 hour flight from SFO to Hong Kong ā€“ not a single frame dropped. I let the sim run all night while I was asleep, but had no issues! So thatā€™s some good news finally!

2 Likes

Awesome! May I ask what changes you made?

1 Like

At the end of that post, I also said ā€”

I have spent considerable time, trying to change everything I could possibly do, to stop this FPS drop happening on my PC ā€“ so much so, I have completely lost track of all the things I have changed.

1 Like

LOL you did my badā€¦ good news I had my coffeeā€¦ with that saidā€¦ Iā€™m going to check if my virtualization is turned on in BIOS and if it is Iā€™ll try turning it off

There is most likely no reason for you to have virtualization turned on, especially when running MSFS, and I believe it is a frequent recommendation to turn it off.

see

I used to build VMs through Hyper-V so I had it turned on. But I donā€™t need it

Flying from DCA to SFO now. Sim is running great currently sitting at 35-40 FPSā€¦ weā€™ll see how long this goes lol

1 Like

3 hours in and FPS is starting to act up and sim getting choppyā€¦ tries for itā€™s life to hover around 30 FPS but continues to have plummets to 20 and belowā€¦ sometimes single digitsā€¦ looking around the cabin makes it worseā€¦ sad

4 Likes

sick of it, really- Still not fixed this performance drop issue!

2 Likes

Just getting worse at this pointā€¦ not hardware relatedā€¦PC running greatā€¦

2 Likes

hmmā€¦ your route is mostly over the oceans.

that might be the factor here.

do you also lock your FPS? if so, the degradated FPS might still be above the FPS limit.

your route is over the land of USA.

Iā€™m wondering if it has sonething to do with it.

Have you tried to fly mostly over the oceans? for example from SFO to Hawaii?

Iā€™ll try itā€¦ Iā€™m wondering if I should roll back my NVIDIA drivers. An update or two ago my FPS started acting up like this towards the end of flights and when I rolled it back it stopped.

Flew over the rockies 10-20 fpsā€¦ now over Utah with clear skies FPS averaging 2-10 FPS nowā€¦ so annoying

1 Like

Had an acquaintance start stuttering 30 minutes before touchdown during a PHNL-KSFO flight this evening. Same progression of events as before, stutters start, then FS2020 CTDā€™s about 15 minutes later.

If nothing else is consistent, the way the issue manifests seems to be.

Whooo, really bad experience this evening. VHHH to RJCK. 42 fps to start, 3 fps when I killed it.

You can tell from the LittleNavMap track where it went completely off the rails. The fps was so low, the auto pilot on the FBW A320 wasnā€™t even able to keep the plane on track. Looks like it was about 3 hours into a 6 hour flight.

I turned off every online option (traffic, weather, graphics), tried windowed mode, dropped resolutionā€¦ Nothing helped. I had to end it.

3 Likes