After SU 11 (update): often heavy stutters on approach in the dark

Around SU7/8 I also had this issue but it wasn’t as severe as it is now.
My solution was to disable the Prosim Module which let the external lights work and animations of the ac.

With SU9/10 I was able to let the module enabled.

Now with SU11 (beta update) I have the issue again.

And back then I had a 12900k / 3090 instead of a 13900k / 4090 now.

Same scenery.

After a lot of testing I found out that it might have to do with the planes external lights.

Doing 2h+ flights with the external lights Off and then doing the approach no severs stuttering here.

Try it for yourselves : after take off turn the external lights off and only a few minutes before landing turn them back on again.

This is for planes that use effect files for their external lights .

If you have the PMDG/Fenix you can try it….

Naples :

I’ve had a lot of stutters too, certainly at low altitudes. It seems often fixable by deleting the rolling cache.

1 Like

It happens without the rolling cache.

2 Likes

There are also smaller stutters that go away when you delete the usercfg.opt file and have MSFS make a new one.
You then set the sliders to the same settings.

Also smaller stutters can sometimes be solved by deleting the cache.

This is about the framerate drop when flying at night and making a flight of 2+ h.
When doing the approach the sim starts to stuttr heavily. And this seems to be related to the planes external lights when flying the PMDG. Fenix, Prosim 738 etc.

3 Likes

To be honest, I have those stutters during approach since SU10.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/what-is-causing-the-performance-degredation-on-approach/

Said it before and may well again, landing is going to cost you more resources simply because you’re looking down at an airport and maybe a city, taking off you have a roll out hit but soon you’re looking at more sky than not. Expect some percentage of frame rate hit above taking off … also some cache stuff is more than likely in use as well.

Yesterday I did the same Amsterdam - Naples flight in the dark twice but had no stutters.

What was different :
I was using LSLC (not the first tweak)

You guys might try it and see if it helps

My 13900k@5.8 GHz / 4090 shows a minimum of 48 fps ( framerate generated to 96 fps ) flying low over Amsterdam /Schiphol with PSXT Live Traffic + 46 parked ac + 10+ live ac and lots of clouds looking down from the cockpit.

A city like Naples with a small airport shoes a minimum of 60 ( framerate generated to 120 fps ) when flying low over it.

It is after a 2h+ flight and then coming in low that the framerate dropped.

But like I wrote : two flights with LSLC running and both went well.

There is some kind of issue going on with SU11 (the latest beta at least) in relation to smoothness of frames during approaches.

I fortunately have never suffered from the stutter on approach issues I have read about, nor thankfully the chronic CTD problems.

However after this latest beta release updated I do now regularly have issues with stuttering on approach. While significant most of the time it is not excessive, but there have been a couple of times it has been a slideshow. Again this was never the case up thru (at least) SU10. Sure the FPS drops a little once you get an airport in view, but it never stuttered and paused like now.

On the CTD’s, I have not had a CTD yet with the beta but I notice that on approach and for a short time after landing FS ‘seem’ to be on the verge of crashing. I say this due to noticing that the sound starts cutting out repeatedly. I have noticed this almost always occurs in relation the few CTD’s I have had in the past.

I haven’t noticed if it is only after dark, long flight, etc. but will pay more attention and try a few things.

Not sure if it’s tied to the overall performance drop I have experienced with SU11 Beta but I suspect it might be.

3 Likes

Try disabling Rolling Cache …It worked for me.

1 Like

Many of us do not have Rolling cache enabled…

2 Likes

LSLC running

Done that in the past, but have not done it lately. I’ll give it a go. Thanks.

I have this problem too but it came not directly after SU11. I’ve done at least 8 flights without any stutter, until those 2 smaller patches.

They broke the sim for me basically and I have exactly what is described here.

Landed at 4 or 5 different airports and all of them were horrible stuttering.

LIRF was yesterday too, yes. I didn’t make the connection to night yet, i think it’s more something that build up over time.

I’ve landed in Samui on daytime and it was the same. It starts well when loading but over time something builds up and these freezes start to happen.

I’ve never experienced this myself before. When I saw ppl having this since ages i was always happy I’m not among them.
But these 2 updates broke my sim and I have the same now…

It appears it has major issues loading data. Because when this happens i can see the airport build up with every stutter there is LOD change on objects.

2 Likes

Hello everybody. I’m regularly encountering almost the same problem. Never had it before. For me it started after the patch for SU11. It’s like extreme stuttering, unflyable. Not always, but it occurs when flying over resource heavy areas. I didn’t encounter this problem before.

3 Likes

Thank God for this community – I had the best performance in SU10, then got a 4090 and it was even more amazing… but the last patch of SU11, performance is meh, especially on arrival at any medium to large size airport. Such a shame. Hope it comes back.

2 Likes

The challenge here is that the problem is going unacknowledged, so it’s exceptionally unlikely that it will be addressed anytime soon. Disappointing as usual.

I can confirm this as well

Agreed - SU10 had real good performance - now even after dialing down settings and turning off in sim Traffic I still get stutters where I had none before.

1 Like