AI Control Aircraft - AI Pilot is broken, no longer works as expect

Regarding PacificSet90456’s post just above : So your saying if I download all the updates and get this sim going again that I won’t have any more AI co-pilot landings left or right of the runway? That I won’t have any more flying a Cessna Caravan 15 knots above stall speed for a full 15 miles prior to short final? That the plane won’t take a quick left upon touchdown and run right into houses or hangers or whatever? Because a lot of other people out here are saying otherwise and I don’t want to waste the time downloading and getting it all running again until I get confirmation from multiple sources. This would not be the first time I got my hopes up to be let down once I got it back up and running. Because in truth, for me, it worked best for the 2 weeks right after release in August (albeit far from perfect) and then has been really poor since. I refuse to give it any more of my time until I get close to unanimous confirmation that it is working much better.

2 Likes

No, that is not what I am saying at all. I have no idea what would happen you download all the updates. I have no idea if you will be able to get MSFS running again. What I am saying is that some people are having a difficult time downloading, installing, updating, or just getting it to fly without crashing. For some, MSFS is the worst software ever. I get that. But there are many, many users who have enjoyable flight daily, who have joined groups and made friends, and some who are creating their own improvements and sharing them with the community. If MSFS was a total mess for EVERYONE, then there would be this second group.

I don’t know what needs to be done to help you. I have offered to try and recreate your problem. But I am fine that you want to wait for the next update. There are a number of knowledgeable, talented users here that spend time trying to help users with issues. They know MSFS has problems and growing pains. But they are still here, helping.

I hope the next update fixes all of your issues. If so, please return and share your success with all of us.

MODERATOR EDIT: This post merged into this topic.

I don’t know why but 9 times out of 10 if I just use the AI co-pilot from start up to landing it nearly always either misses the runway when landing or just nose dives into the ground when trying to land. This seems to happen wioth or without added scenery and even using all default settings. Even on ILS approaches it either overshoots or just ignores it totally. I have tried it on both propellor and jet aircraft and it will crash using either but have different approaches and crashes. I just don’t know what is going on.
I am using the Microsoft store version on windows 10 pro with plenty of ram and a good graphics card and CPU.

I don’t think your computer is the problem. It’s happening to everyone (including the ones that actually fly the planes instead of getting the AI to fly the planes). It’s a problem within the sim that asobo just can’t seem to fix, but I feel as if they are trying

with it now being July 13, 2021 I assume they were not able to fix this?

I switched to autopilot for the first time last night, and the plane took me back to the departing airport

After reading all of the messages on this topic, I finally managed to fix most of the issues I had with my AI control: now the copilot doesn’t make constant shallow right and left turns and he finally understood the importance of being aligned to the runway when landing.

The trick? Three words: disable live weather. Simple as that.

Of course, this means it’s a bug that needs to be fixed, as it’s kinda stupid to have to choose between accurate-ish weather and an accurate-it AI copilot.

I still noticed issues for descent if I’m using high-altitude IFR, so I stick to low-altitude flights for now. Completely not realistic with the A320neo but at least the copilot works.

I submitted numerous tickets to Zendesk but I don’t think anyone reads them. The AI Control should have been fixed a long long time ago.

4 Likes

I just tried using it after I installed the latest sim update. I did a random SFO-LAX flight in an A320. Other than the engines starting while still at the jetway, the taxi/takeoff was smooth. Then around 12700, the AI decided to cruise at that altitude ignoring the ATC’s request to climb to 13000. I closed out the flight after realizing the AI wasn’t going to climb any further. I’m going to mess around with it some more with other planes and see how the updated AI works.

1 Like

Could be the altitude bug they mention in the known issues of this update? AI is thinking its on 13,000 ft, but for ATC it is not.

1 Like

Yesterday before the update the ia was taxiing to go to the runway with the 787 today it no longer just starts one engine and stalls.

New update, new problems I guess.

• AI Pilot will no longer start a cold plane.
  • AI Pilot will no longer taxi from a gate to a runway. (But seems to be fine from runway to gate???)
  • AI Pilot seems to ignore user-placed waypoints
  • AI Pilot can’t land again. This time not even ILS is giving it landings. It’s always off to the left side of the runway, and has even fallen so short in San Francisco it hit the ocean before the runway.
5 Likes

It only starts small planes (cessna) and rolls them to the runway. The A320, 747 and 787 does not start them from scratch.

Out of curiosity are there any issues related to the AI pilot taking control of the craft to taxi off the runway after landing without the ■■■■ settings turned on? I’ve got this issue and almost all my friends have this issue too.

Platform: Xbox series x/s using Xbox controller

I’m experiencing the same on the Xbox release. Neither the autopilot or AI control follow the guidance or the waypoints. They’ll fly a different direction and go up and down randomly. More annoyingly, when on the ground, it will try to steer itself without AI or autopilot enabled. It will ignore some rudder inputs completely and the speed will change randomly.

I’ve tried to find ways to report it but my file bugs out when trying to report it.

Right? lets try to make more people vote this so it gets fixed!

4 Likes

If i Fly whit Copilot , the Copilot missing at Landingapproach the Runway . Hi land not in the middel of the Runway what is wrong ansers Players PLS THX

How many votes and comments will it take for these guys to even attempt to fix this??

This is terrible

2 Likes

I really would like to see this get fixed. I understand other things may need to be done first, even to get this working properly. But still, I very much enjoy spectating with this mode. It’s like full-flight plane spotting. If only it could work properly.

3 Likes

Everybody uses the sim in different ways. I mostly like to TRY using the 787 for long-haul international flights, which means using the AI Piloting / Copilot features, and/or the cockpit autopilot instruments. And holy hell, it is frustrating.

I just submitted a ticket to the zendesk thing, but these issues have persisted since launch, particularly on the 787 for long-haul international flights. It’s so frustrating that the same issues have been around, in one form or another, since launch over a year ago. I’ve tried both the PC and the Xbox versions.

The most recent issues (there’s more than what I list here, these are just examples):

• At the gate, when I request to connect the jetway to the aircraft, the response is “Unable to connect the jetway to the aircraft. Please try again later.” I know this is mostly a cosmetic sim thing that doesn’t affect the flight, but it’s still annoying that it used to work and now it doesn’t.
  • Taxiing problems. When told to “hold position” using the AI Pilot, the aircraft simply disengages. It doesn’t apply brakes and it doesn’t steer, but rather just keeps rolling straight at whatever direction it happens to be facing. Sometimes this can result with a crash into a building, rolling onto the wrong taxiways, or runway incursions. Very frustrating when you’ve just spent half-an-hour simming refueling, catering and baggage operations - or worse yet, completed a flight to your destination just for your aircraft to crash instead of holding position. Or sometimes ATC (ground) issues instructions to hold position for other AI aircraft / ground vehicles on the same runway, and everybody just sits there for eternity. Or sometimes “hold position” instructions for an aircraft parked at a gate near the taxiway. Or sometimes “hold position” instructions for… nothing? No aircraft or vehicles anywhere in sight. The one thing about the AI Pilot that used to be flawless was taxiing. Now it’s all messed up.
  • “Please Expedite Your Climb” - If the AI Pilot can even manage to maintain the correct heading, it can’t maintain the correct altitude. Even though there was a recent ATC glitch that was fixed, the AI Pilot still doesn’t climb to the correct altitude, resulting in “Please Expedite Your Climb” over and over and over again, until you either decide to fly the plane manually or just quit the sim altogether. Not the best options for long-haul international flights.
  • Approaches and landings: I have no idea if this has been improved since the Xbox launch - there are so many bugs now during taxi and in-flight, I just turn the thing off before I can complete a flight. But in the past the AI Pilot would overshoot the airport, resulting in a missed approach, which would then result in odd bugs (like flying back to a waypoint all the way back to the beginning of the flight plan, or ATC just simply stops responding), or attempting a landing far off to the right or left of the runway resulting in a crash or a missed apporach, or just flying straight past the runway to who-knows-where.

My main point here is that the AI Pilot / Copilot / autopilot has never worked right. At times, it worked just barely “good enough” to get through a flight and put up with the bugs, but more often than not it results in either manually flying the plane or just turning it off altogether.

Every update that comes along results in more bugs and disappointment, and the same recurring AI Piloting bugs are still there over a year later.

I know they are different teams, but the ratio of new content and world updates vs. fixing bugs with the core functionality of the sim seems to be way out of proportion. I wouldn’t mind skipping all of the world updates and new content for a while if it meant that the team could put more focus on fixing these problems that seem to never be fixed.

Maybe consider a team dedicated solely to the AI Pilot / Copilot and autopilot functionality for the aircraft? Because it’s a mess!

6 Likes

The AI copilot has been hit or miss since day 1. I’ve have successes and spectacular failures. I have an IFR flight plan that I always use to test updates, hotfixes, and new aircraft. I generally have the AI copilot fly these test flights. One time the AI copilot was flying an approach almost perfectly when ATC gave the “go around” instruction. The copilot expertly flew the missed approach and was vectored to the same ILS approach. For some reason the copilot flew the approach about 200 ft to the left missing the runway entirely.

I’ve changed my expectations that the AI copilot has the skill and knowledge level of a student pilot. The copilot can do a lot of things but I watch the copilot carefully and I take over whenever there is an uncorrected deviation.

3 Likes

For me, most times it is much worse than a simple uncorrected deviation. Most times it can’t even follow the correct heading, or maintain the correct altitude. Approaches and landings have always been a mess. Whenever an update seems to make a small improvement here and there, the next update will either bring the old problem back, introduce new ones, or not address them at all. Over a year going, and I’m beyond frustrated that most of the time I can’t do a long-haul international flight unless I want to manually fly the entire route for 10+ hours.

1 Like