AI Control Aircraft no longer works after 1.9.3.0 patch

I was tempted. :rage:

Charlie was never really trustworthy even when he was certified for duty. Now I think a spell grounded, back at flight school, and a few weeks in rehab, could still turn him around. We’ll see.

Hello,
I tried 2 flights this day from LFPG to EBBR good apart from the 2 back to the office it is true that I am aware that in flight they are not exactly the one …

I’m happy to see that that this problem is common. Otherwise, I was beginning to think that I was doing something weird that caused the problem. I hope this is fixed soon.

2 Likes

I will echo that sentiment. I got the game on launch day and the AI control has never worked in any reliable manner to fly the plane.

Pre this latest (Japan) patch it definitely did for me - I’d guess around 80% of the time. I could make a simple flight plan on the world map and then just hand over total control of the entire flight to the A.I. 80% of the time it managed the whole thing - not perfectly; approaches and landings were almost always the most hazardous moments. You really had to nursemaid the whole flight just in case - not ideal.

The A.I. could overshoot landings (once or twice it might even realize its mistake and do a ‘go-around’); it would sometimes have to circle a few times to lose speed before entering the approach pattern (because the A.I. would never give itself enough time to slow down and get to the correct position for the approach pattern, only realizing the approach pattern exists at 10 miles out - every time), but most of the time it could pull off a landing (if often a heavy landing). It could taxi to the apron, too - but again, not without endless faffing about, or sometimes wandering off across the airfield completely.

The A.I. could never ‘see’ high terrain (especially high hills or mountains) which was a constant worry, made worse by the complete lack of any ability to set custom waypoints on a flightpath to tell the A.I. to effectively take a route around such obstacles.

For now, what competence it did have (pre- 1.9.3.0.) is gone with the latest patch. Now it can’t even get itself to align to the GPS after take-off. A pretty dismal state of affairs.

In any case, I’m not really that concerned about the AI pilot. I didn’t buy a flight sim to be a passenger sitting in the captain’s seat. lol As long as the co-pilot can handle radio comms when I don’t feel like manually doing it, I’m happy with that minimal performance.

I am, and I did.

Fair enough. If they have a feature, it SHOULD work at least reasonably well.

Although I think we’re seeing a repeating theme here in MSFS. Lots of great features that only partially work.

1 Like

A1 control stop
ped working after the update. It actually works on the aircraft altitude and speed, but not direction. My plane goes the way of the take off runway, extremely frustrating. Hope it gets fixed soon.

1 Like

mine worked initially, but after an update, it now does not work, the place just follows the runway heading to oblivian

Is there any news that they are aware and working on correcting this? I also was using this feature to just explore the world without actually flying… I am sad that I haven’t been able to play the game how I want to for two weeks now.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not even sure why this feature exists in the first place, especially when (not if) they get the replay feature working so you can go back and watch or record events from different perspectives.

I thought the whole point of a flight simulator was to simulate flying, no? If you just want to watch someone else do it, that’s what YouTube is for. Am I missing something?

Also, you can always just pop on the actual autopilot, turn it to NAV mode, and either VS or FLCH mode to a pre-selected altitude (or VNAV once they get that working), and accomplish pretty much the same thing.

No, it won’t fly the takeoff or landing (but once we get a study level airliner with true Cat IIIC capability it should, though that may take some time), but so what?

BTW, I’m not being some kind of wiseass, I really don’t get it.

Thanks!
KevyKevTPA
PP, ASEL, IA

1 Like

I’m waiting for my forever-backordered sidestick to arrive. In the meantime I used AI to do short hops from one airport to another to explore and learn a little about what to do or not do while flying. Sidestick backordered forever, no AI anymore…

And the 1.9.5 update didn’t address the issue. AI still totally broken and worthless.

What is so difficult about accurately reporting the size of the download required?

Every update is like this…

Is there some feature in the sim that will allow you to sit in an aircraft being flown by someone else online. I rememder in FSX/P3d this could be done but it was a long time ago? More than happy to drag you around the sights of the cold north.

The purpose is to see how to handle the aircraft. For example, I use the co-pilot to see how to properly enter the traffic pattern at a non-towered airport etc.

Yes and no. The AI copilot designed to do exactly as you describe is totally broken by the previous 1.9.3 patch and not fixed in the 1.9.5 patch

1 Like

I think I read somewhere that multiplayer crew for a single aircraft is planned, but not implemented yet. I could also be losing my mind if it turns out that was not and is not true, and I just plucked it out of my butt for some unknown reason.

1 Like

And, not only did 1.9.5 not fix the AI issue, but now the red point to point line has disappeared from the VFR map, making it totally useless as well. Nice job Microsoft! These “patches” are very disappointing.

3 Likes

I noticed last night that live AI aircraft at an airport i was sitting on the ground at were not landing , the keep flying past the field to the side at 3000 feet. I tried the control AI control of own aircraft and it does the same. Nothing makes it onto approach and landing. Same code obviously. I wonder if turning AI aircraft off makes own AI pilot work or not.