AI Control Aircraft no longer works after 1.9.3.0 patch

I love the idea of having an entire world to visit, but I also am not really capable of flying an aircraft. I use the program to kinda work as a ‘screensaver’ to watch the world fly by as I chart a flight to somewhere in the world and let the game do it for me. I love doing this, and the AI control being broken still even after waiting a few weeks for an update is very disappointing to me.

5 Likes

i was wrong, turning off other AI doesnt fix the issue :frowning:

Try the 152 lessons. In a way that’s a bit of a blind recommendation, since I haven’t done them myself in the sim, but in real life, that’s exactly how I learned to actually fly, and if the onboard lessons are even remotely useful, you’ll probably find them quite handy for edumacation purposes.

KevyKevTPA
PP, ASEL, IA

I can’t believe it! Another patch (1.10.7.0) and the AI problem is still not fixed. Come on MS!

6 Likes

I have the game uninstalled at the moment, so I’m just gonna watch this thread to see whenever this gets fixed. Hopefully before the end of the year…

2 Likes

My worry is that Asobo will never properly revisit A.I. Control (‘Charlie’) and this issue will remain unresolved for years to come, possibly never getting fixed. It’s hard to see how the developer will ever consider fixing Charlie as a priority, with so many others clamouring to have aircraft fixes, or world fixes, etc.

For me, MSFS 2020 has taken a downward trajectory since release; successive releases have degraded the experience for me, breaking some features and not repairing others. Charlie used to be a thing; He (or she) really could (mostly) take off, fly and land your plane without you ever having to do a thing. That went away when the Japan update broke A.I.Control.

I don’t play MSFS 2020 any more. What drew me to it (virtual tourism, with Charlie, my A.I. Copilot, flying me between luxurious, exotic destinations of my choosing) is no longer functional. I keep the sim on my system and I check out these forums every so often to see if, by some miracle, the one USP I bought this sim for has been fixed again.

Perhaps one day. Maybe never. Who knows?

1 Like

I wonder how many actually report this to zendesk. And I would bet that those who do, are very low.

Like you, I have family members that like to use the AI Pilot and I will use it for taxing at large airports (because real life charts don’t match taxiways) when I don’t know the airport and don’t want to use the blue ribbon.

I’ve also used Charlie to repeat a flight I just did for additional drone/camera shots for video editing (since we don’t have a replay - yet!).

And I’ve mentioned this before, Charlie should be the easiest to program for as all it has to do is follow code.

3 Likes

Flying along the Florida panhandle in my Xcub at 2500ft and 100 kts. Autopilot engaged,enjoying the view. I asked Charlie to take control as I wanted to have a bite to eat and a drink. As I was unscrewing the stopper of my flask he turned off the autopilot took a hard right and pitched the aircraft up to 35 degrees putting us into a stall. “I have control” I screamed as I pitched the nose down to gain some airspeed and recover from the stall. My heart was racing as I gained control and got us back to stable flight. Needless to say I will not be inviting Charlie along on any other flights and will be flying solo. Idiot nearly got us killed!

5 Likes

I actually have Version 1.10.11.0 and AI is still not working properly.
Take off is good, sometimes the copilot flies the aircraft to the first and with good luck to the second waypoint, but at least then, the AI makes what it wants. Wrong direction, speed to high (E.G. 747 over 420 kts), never a chance for landing at the desired airport.
What a buggy program (it seems to be still a Beta) for so much money.

1 Like

Now with version 1.11.7.0 AI-Pilot Charlie still is not able to fly!

Asobo has addressed this in the last Q&A:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/why-hasnt-ai-control-aircraft-aka-ai-pilot-been-fixed-yet/323260/13?u=hester40mt

when will the first fix arrive to address the issue

I don’t know, I don’t work for them. :wink:

All we know is what was discussed in that Q&A.

In the same patch that will fix the Garmins and sketchy autopilots. Likely in February.

thanks for your honest answer

They spoke about it in the last Q&A. It uses the same logic as the autopilot, so they think they can get both fixed at once. I’m skeptical, but we’ll see.

i have faith that they will get it done

In good time, I’m sure they will. I expect it to be just as bad when they release the fix initially though. Call me a pessimist, but I tend to look at track records vs having blind hope. Although I would be very, very happy to be proven wrong.

It’s annoying when you want to meet the challenges and have to fly 300NM with propeller planes without autopilot. A functioning Charlie would really be an advantage for fulfilling the challenge “Finish a 300NM flight with all planes of the standard edition”.

Hello, Crunchmeister71,

can you tell me, where I can find the Asobo Q&A-Section? I tried to find it in the forum and in the ASOBO site, but I didn’t have success.