AI / Live Traffic only visible short range

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting. No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Brief description of the issue: Live AI Traffic only phases in a few miles out. I sat holding short RW06 EHAM and normally could see planes for a loong range, now i saw them “spawn” in only one or two miles out on Final Approach. (short drawdistance)

Edit: It also hapenned at cruise alt, there were multiple planes around me, normally i’d see contrails or lights, or even the plane. Didn’t see nothing, but i could hear them on ATC.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered: Didn’t capture unfortunely, will try next time.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:Hold short at a runway, hear the ATC talk to the AI planes, and wait for them to show up, draw distance is extremely short.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile) 5800x, RTX 3070 TI, 32GB on high/ultra spec at 1440P

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: SU5 original + Hotfix 1

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version? MS Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #? 116141

Good post. I’ve seen lots of people posting saying that the ai aircraft show on maps but are absent in the sim. In truth I suspect they are there, you just can’t see them until you’re within a few hundred feet.

3 Likes

Thanks

Yeah i suspect its a bug / side effect from the “optimizations”, the range you could see lights, contrails and AI/Live AI planes was quite impressive before.

Forgot to mention they also show up on the VFR map and ARC Display

Can confirm they are there physically and on TCAS from a good distance by they have no Anti Collision lights anymore so you can’t seem em.

1 Like

That might explain it, however i’m also missing ai contrails now and when holding short, i can see planes pop in from a short distance, it might be more than just the lights though.

Or my and various others settings are borked, heard there was some issue with settings not saving properly.

So i managed to capture a video!

Note how the aircraft only becomes visual when it is literally just infront the runway. Especially at cruise i could see planes for miles and miles. And on approach like this i used to be able to see multiple planes line up for landing from far away.

Edit: it already showed up on ATC and VFR map before.

voted bothere me aswel

Thanks for the votes, i’m going to try and capture a video at cruise altitude this weekend, to complete the zendesk case entirely.

Kinda silly how this bug got introduced with SU5 :confused:

I just noticed @OlieTsubasa443 changed the thread to bug logged yesterday.

Thanks for logging the issue!

1 Like

Same issue here. Thank you for logging. I suspect this is optimization related to XBOX Optimization making it’s way into the PC version.

I think this happened to me as well. I was landing in Hilo airport in rainy conditions, and I was told by ATC to follow the aircraft on final. I couldn’t see any aircraft, so after circling around for a short while, I attempted to land but was told to go around. I circled around, and tried again, but was told to go around again. At that point I just landed, because ■■■■ it.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting. yes, no difference

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?no

Brief description of the issue:

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:always happens

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Store
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

Before recent update (and hotfix) could see traffic on the pfd traffic map and see the aircraft through windshield or external view.
Now still on the traffic map display (and being talked to by at!) but none ever visible in flight.
Am I missing something?
Thanks
Richard

I was just about to post the same thing for offline, or live AI traffic. They are really hard to see. Thay are there, but I think Asobo seriously toned down the nav/strobe light visibility of the AI planes, or they don’t use them at all.
I just flew from CA to Louisiana for a 5 and a half hour flight and had really hard time seeing traffic. I don’t have name plates on so I suspected a dot or two, that they are planes, but it was really hard to spot.
So after that flight I went to JFK, turned on name plates and took off in the Longitude and chased down some AI planes. They appear as grey pixels first (this is what I saw during my long flight), then eventually turn into plane models, but I did not see any nav lights on, although it was during daylight, I could be wrong though (if I recall before update 5, the nav lights were very easy to spot for AI planes).

I have the same issue.

5800x, 3070Ti, 32GB DDR4. LOD 150 (both)

Before the update i could see contrails and airplanes for looong ranges, now i sat holding short RW06 @ EHAM and i literally saw planes “phasing” in a few miles out in clear skies. (live traffic) even though i could hear them talk to ATC.

When flying high at altitude, i sometimes get warned about nearby planes, used to see contrails, lights etc. now nothing.

Seems issue with draw distance.

Same issue here. SU4 every plane was visible on Vatsim with lights and all,

Has anything been mentioned with regards to a fix? I have pretty much every setting on ultra / max and I can’t see other planes until they’re really close, even though the nameplate shows up way before. Seems like a pretty major bug. At least give us a setting to increase the draw distance of other planes if it’s too hard on some machines.

Its honestly a shame because its little things like this that ruin immersion completely watching a plane pop into existance 2nm on final

A Microsoft/Asobo CM changed the title to bug logged, which usually means they are working on it, when it will be fixed, no idea.

1 Like

Any updates on this?

Any update? I am having the same issue. Cannot see any aircraft beyond 10 nm or so.