AI traffic sounds at airport

Hi all

I cannot seem to hear any of the AI traffic take off, land or taxing past me when I am at an airport / gate. I am talking about engine sounds when they go past or the roar when they take off / land. Is there a setting I have not switched off, or is this a shortcoming of fs2020?

Hey hey @clayton41158342,

Have you made sure “Other Aircraft” in the sound menu is turned up?

Also, you do have an empty community folder?

1 Like

thanks will check it out :grinning:

ok so when I go outside I can hear the aircraft, but inside the cockpit I don’t hear them, yes my community folder is empty.

That’s probably because the inside of the cockpit is a very quiet environment. You probably have to taxi close to the traffic to be able to hear them from inside the cockpit.

ok when I go to camera and external I hear all the airport ambiance and all the aircraft take off / land etc, but as soon as I go into the cockpit, it is dead quiet. (Citation CJ4)

Yeah, that seems to be working as expected. Even in real life if you go into the aircraft as a passenger, you can’t hear anything that’s happening outside the aircraft. But it’s loud when you’re still standing in the jetway/stairs outside.

1 Like

I had the same question in the first month that MSFS was released (it was in the Longitude though). Other planes would silently pass right in front of me. I was told that was by design because the Longitude was designed IRL to be very quiet in the cockpit.

ok thanks for your responses

It sounds like the same issue as all four threads in this category, all animations seem to be missing:

None of the explanations here are accurate. You certainly DO hear airplanes from inside your plane. Ever sat inside a terminal or inside your airplane when a 777 a few gates away starts its engines? The engine start sound is so iconic! The same goes for when you are sat next to a runway holding short of it and a plane comes in to land.
So yes, the sim is broken when it comes to sounds for traffic, not to mention other aspects of AI traffic.

Yes inside the cockpit of the citation it’s as quiet as being at a cemetery.

If you have headphone simulation set to ON then set it to OFF:

Yes already set to OFF

Ok. Is your issue only with the Citation CJ4 or with all planes too ?

I did a test at KLAX with the CJ4, FSLTL, parked at the side of a runway: I can hear the engine of other airplanes roaring for taking off but sound level is very low from the cockpit, very loud from outside. So I think that is maybe a configuration with the Cj4 that limit from inside those external sounds, not sure if it is a bug or if it is setup like that on purpose. Maybe you can ask in the CJ4 support thread (I did not find any related question):

Yes I have sat inside an airplane or in the terminal but I can’t hear any engine sounds coming from outside. I can only hear the engines coming from the same plane I’m in. Even if I do hear the engine starts from another airplane a few gates away, they’re very faint and so soft that I have to actually concentrate to focus on hearing their sounds while blocking out any other ambient sounds coming from inside the cabin or the terminal noise from the steps that people walking, coffee machine making coffees and people talking and announcements. There’s just too much ambient noise that the actual engine sound outside is blocking. Not to mention that airside terminals are designed with soundproofed windows and walls. Otherwise, the noise pollution inside the building is too much for everyone’s comfort.

Outside of the airside terminal is extremely loud, that’s why workers wear earmuffs with communicator to avoid getting hearing damage and also able to communicate with one another. Even when you board an aircraft using stairs in a busy airport, the moment you step outside your boarding gate you’ll instantly notice how loud it is outside, then the moment you step into your plane, it goes dead quiet inside. Any other sounds coming from outside are very soft and well muted.

In the cockpit, you can only hear loud outside noise when the cockpit window is open. The moment it’s closed and sealed, it’s very quiet. Not to mention that you’ll be able to hear more ambient sound from inside your own cockpit. Beeps from the systems, sounds from electrical computers and fan noise, then you have ambient sounds from the cabin as well. All of these contribute to increase in ambient sounds that are closer to you that the sounds coming from outside that’s in a soundproofed environment would be even less noticeable.

If it’s not designed that way, pilots are going to have trouble with communicating with one another while on the ground as well as getting clear communication from ATC, which is a horrible situation to be in on a daily basis.