AI Traffic Taxi / Runway speeds are Game-Breaking…

This has been an issue since launch, and is still a very obvious and very frustrating problem. In fact, not just a problem but borderline game breaking in my opinion.

The AI traffic system, whether Real-Time, Offline or 3rd party will never come close to working until this is fixed. With aircraft trundling the full length of the runway at ~10kts it just can’t, ever. Whatever is in the pipeline for AI traffic surely this problem must be fixed first, otherwise everything will just end up going round in circles above the airport forever?

With each SU I hope for some progress with this issue yet nothing seems to be happening. To me at least, it’s getting a bit tiring.

This is in the Wishes Feedback Snapshot, and is scheduled to be done this year.
That is linked to this post.
Item #9 in the post mentions this specific item.

Yes, this drives me bonkers too. I spent a few hours yesterday looking for a CFG or XML file that might document the taxi speed that planes use, hoping to change the value from 1.5 knots (that’s a little sarcasm, but just a little) to something more usable, but I couldn’t find anything.

Which is kind of what I’m getting at. All of these issues are under the umbrella of ‘Improve AI Traffic’, but are all rather irrelevant.

My point is that until this glacial taxi speed on the runway is fixed everything else is moot, because the whole system immediately breaks down when nothing can land and nothing can depart. Them saying it will be fixed sometime in 2022 is daft, because it’s as close to a game breaking bug as it’s possible to get. It absolutely murders immersion.

This specific issue needs addressing first before anything else in my opinion. I can’t believe it would be difficult to sort out, so am baffled as to why it’s still like this after all this time.

4 Likes

For sure, there certainly doesn’t appear to be much logic behind some of the fixes that are done at times.

2 Likes

This is my biggest complaint about MSFS. So much energy is put into world updates and big projects that the average user probably won’t even notice (i.e. CFD / prop physics) when something so simple as increasing taxi speed on the runway could make a fundamentally broken system become at least serviceable, but it is ignored.

6 Likes

The ridicoulous thing is that thay fixed the ability to let AI traffic to depart/arriving, but still they’re ignoring all the things around. Who cares about moving AI aircraft but still with Rockstar Games physics? This is ridicolous.

The timeline used to be for some of the previous sim updates but they later changed it for 2022. In yesterday’s Q&A, they answered that they are working on it. They stated the same answer in previous Q&A sessions as well. To me, they looked like they are even getting tired anwering on this topic. Seems like is better to wait for AIG or FSTL to make a decent move then. MFS got some serious potential as a sim platform, and such an AI behaviour is not worthy at all to be there on MFS.

2 Likes

I think the problem will be, if they fix the speed the second big problem will occure. This is ATC not being able to control the traffic on the taxi ways (at big airports at least…). So the traffic will be jammed even faster and this will be a much bigger issue for most people, than the go around traffic in the air … So it`s a rather big issue regarding traffic management and atc, wich could be the reason they not just changed the speed on the runways…

The AI aircraft know they’re on the runway as that’s where they take off from.

Surely in that case they should taxi at 20kts on the taxiway and 40kts on the taxi part of the runway.

Given the complexity of this sim, that should be a tiny problem to solve. Really it should.

That would still not solve the problem I refered to. I watched about an hour of AI Traffic on Frankfurt International Airport. There are two main Taxiways to the 3 runways for departure in use. After one hour there were a large amount of traffic stuck on the way to departure, because AI wasn’t able to manage arriving traffic to the gate and the huge amount of departing traffic midday. Everywhere they cross each other (and the airport traffic) they just stoped and started turning around themself (ugly problem too). So if all of the aircraft (that by then floated over the sky of the airport) would have been able to land (given they would leave the runway fast enough after the landing) they would have been stuck everywhere on the taxiways. I even saw one plane not leaving the runway becaus another plane wasn’t able to start taxiing after leaving the runway. It just stood on the runway for 10 minuites until it disapeared into nowhere… And that would make it impossible to departure for players. So I think this would make the problem even bigger, than it is, when a lot of the airplanes just never touch the ground (maybe thats why they don’t try to land again after go around …).