AI Traffic - the unbeloved child of MS and Asobo

It’s the “Press Any Key” design decision scenario all over again, blatantly obvious it needs to be changed but requires “Votes” before they’ll even consider it. They’ve made games before, you’d think they’d know about this immersion breaking stuff.

3 Likes

Folks-let’s get back on topic about AI Traffic and not about the ‘Connection Lost’ Message.

4 Likes

Fair point, ok so we’ve mostly covered the issues at length. What kind of things do people realistically want to see, for me I’ll split this into priorities and wishes:

Priorities

100% N1 issue fixed
Taxi speed and landing roll out
Model matching with default live traffic improved/fixed
Simconnect issues resolved to allow injection tools to function properly again without traffic overshooting airports or the opposite

Wishes

Better AI traffic SDK
ATC overhaul including rules and correct based on areas flown
ATC vectoring, vectors for conflicts
Regional accents through Azure, if I’m in Cardiff, I want to hear a Welsh accent
Better flaring and takeoff profiles of AI traffic
Airports with improved parking
AI aircraft realistic pushback, not just push straight and set free

Now some of these have already been shown to work with AIground and AIflow. I’m also mostly fine with the on rails behaviour of AI but it could be improved, nothing worse than seeing a 777 doing stepped movement as it transverses the terrain.

There’s probably a ton of other stuff I’ve forgotton, fellow FS brothers and sisters, take the mic…

9 Likes

I disagree. Of course it is not simple to write code for ATC and AI but the framework already exists. Both are in simple terms, “state machines”. A capable programmer could improve ATC/AI in a relatively short time. The problem seems to be programmer resources (personnel). It appears to me there is only a small number of people working on all of this. Don’t forget that they just released a MASSIVE update, as well.

Remember, we expect things changed and updated within days or weeks. rolls eyes

1 Like

Agree!

I’m working on my first airport and I’ve put about 3+ OCD days in to the taxiway path design. I still can’t get the AI/ribbons to acct quite right! But I picked an airport with triangle design runway design and 3 threshold crosses.

Testing is also a pain as it requires exporting and then a full sim reload.

The fact we get so many good and free community airports available for developers is amazing. I hope to release mine for free but I may not be able to get it perfect enough.

Wow, I’m not developing MSFS stuff but this seems unnecessarily, overly cumbersome. How about someone code a button to transfer all dev data immediately to the running sim and back? Wouldn’t that be a useful tool?

I think a decompiler exists, but I figured it might make too much a mess also. :slight_smile: You can pick and chose which parts to remove, but if you want to fix a taxiway, you need to first remove all runways and taxiways. But you can keep approaches and all that other stuff. Basically it’s an all or nothing approach to replacing/fixing airport components. You need to rearchitect the whole airport.

My hat is off to all the airport developers out there! I now know why at some airports I see strange AI behavior.

Isn’t this what their plan is? An SU11 bug fix update is already in public beta test.

1 Like

But very dependent on each other! So they have to step carefully here. There will be much beta testing.

Yes, but it’s about 99% fixes for the A310. The others have not gotten any love yet. Check out the release notes for the 1.29.29.0 and 1.39.30.0 beta releases.

I’m really happy they are patching the A310 so quickly. They should take a look at the great third party mod fixes to the other aircraft and incorporate those before releasing an official update.

1 Like

Asbolutely. This right now is a so called post-update-bugfix-patch. Which we already have seen from time to time.

What I mean is a biiig SU with overall bugfixes only - not only the ones produced with the last SU, but most of the (also little) bugs present from the first day on.

It is not uncommon for major updates to occur in pairs. Even a cell phone update can require a later update.

It often occurs that the new code doesn’t work as expected on all platforms. No one has every platform with which to test. Sometimes the only way to know about a bug is through customer feedback.

there is no Asobo ai traffic immersion. Airports are full of crazy ai planes and they dont use STARS and SID like in real.
This have been said since MSFS was in the market: they sold us an incomplete product because they said “with online ai traffic”, but that is NOT TRUE.
i hate people when lying for money.
they loose clients.
fortunately there are many “free workers” trying to do the best, like AIG TRAFFIC or PSXT, and Asobo knows it. Asobo should pay them and feed them, because immersion is the word for a simulator. (not Reno…)

7 Likes

It’s namely online in the sense that it’s correct flight #'s with around 10 minutes delay on arrivals and +/- departure times per FA.

If your interest is to justify that there is traffic, then you are right. But the facts, when seen, are superior to the propaganda phrases. Unfortunately, the behavior of “online” traffic is very bad. So much so that it produces a vacuum in each airport, because you can’t even circulate.

1 Like

As OP i want to end VATSIM debate.

Some comment made me try VATSIM and it was nice. Some really deep immersion came over.

The downside: you dont have full ATC coverage and traffic is not really dens…airports are kinds empty.

So VATSIM cant reacht the immersion a good AI Traffic brings. Regarding ATC its a hole other story.

13 Likes

Try flying in Europe. Loads of ATC and at peak times average of 300-500 users. If you want full ATC there’s PilotEdge that offers coverage of the entire West and Mountain areas, Seattle, Oakland, Los Angeles, Denver, Salt Lake, and Albuquerque 10+ hours a day except for holidays, but that it a pay solution.

2 Likes

You see. This is the ONLY thing that I need. Traffic in the air or on the ground is a non-issue for me, a nice to have. When Inwant realistic traffic, I inject Vatsim traffic. The rest is icing on the cake for me.

So, your rant may get recognition from a certain slice of the simming community, but there are many others who don’t find this the first priority.

Thank you for posting this, as the title of your post clearly states 'AI Traffic - ', not ‘How does AI Traffic Compare with Online ATC Services?’. This whole thread has NOTHING to do with VATSIM, Pilot Edge or any other virtual online flying ATC.

It is very frustrating, to me any way. Any time the subject of the in sim AI/ATC gets brought up someone inevitably has to interject a comparison to VATSIM as THE solution to the internal AI/ATC mess in FS2020.

The 2 items are completely different and should not be compared with each other unless the topic of the thread clearly asks for it.

16 Likes