AI Traffic Touches Down way too late, has unrealistic braking efficacy

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

What aircraft are using that experiences this issue (if relevant)?

Generic AI Traffic Airplanes in MSFS
FSLTL AI Traffic Aircraft

Brief description of the issue:

All aircraft (both default generic AI traffic planes, and FSLTL AI Aircraft) touchdown way too late (about half way down the runway, as opposed to the touch down zone).

Generic AI Traffic airplanes have an unrealistic braking efficacy, and therefore stop before the end of the remaining runway, but FSLTL aircraft, which slow down at more realistic rates sometimes overrun the runway.

FSLTL aircraft also tend to veer of the runway instead of taking a designated taxiway. It’s unclear if this is because of the lower, more realistic braking efficacy.

This issue appears to occur at all airports. I have confirmed it occurs at KLAX and KSFO.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Go to KLAX, KSFO or some other major airport. Turn on real-time online traffic and wait for an aircraft to land. Note that it floats ~50ft above the runway for about half the runway length before finally touching down.

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX12

Are you using DLSS?

Yes

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute to this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Hello,
We ask that you please test without mods or add-ons installed. If you have feedback on addons, you can leave your feedback in one of these two places:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/su12-beta/su12-3rd-party-products/384

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/su12-beta/su12-marketplace/383

1 Like

Can confirm the landing issue occurs with default MSFS live traffic, models and scenery, no addons used.

Seems as if the “aim point” for landing is the midpoint lat/long of the runway, not the end of the runway. The aircraft descends normally, then 100-200 ft off the ground, instead of landing on the runway as expected, the aircraft maintains its altitude, flying along the runway until its close to runway midpoint before descending the rest of the way and landing. (Attached video link, Community folder completely empty)

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Texas Bandito |  Xbox

3 Likes

I think the late landings are necessary to prevent go arounds. As later the AI touches down, as closer it is to the next taxi out. If I had to choose between late landings and go arounds, I would accept the late landings!

2 Likes

No. The late landings have nothing to do with trying to be selective about the closest taxiway to exit the runway. I did a little AI watching at SFO and can confirm that AI float to about the midpoint of the runway before finally touching down. If you want faster runway exits there’s ways to accomplish that.

4 Likes

Since the latest update I have noticed aircraft taking off from the middle of the runway, but for some reason landing normally, I am puzzled could the way the airport design has something to do with this?

1 Like

Also check different airports. In many places the ILS sends you half way down the runway.

Seeing this on both PC & Xbox w/ Real-time Online Traffic.

1 Like

Same here, AI flies down the runway and often do not land but Go Around.

2 Likes

Same issue.

1 Like

It happens with stock asobo ga planes, in every stock airports, with empty community. Even that throttle is 0%, speed stays 50kts until touching grass in every runway.

3 Likes

This item has been reproduced and turned into an official bug report internally. This topic is now updated with the #bug-logged tag. From here, Asobo prioritizes the bug, works on a fix, and slates it for a future update.

18 Likes

I downloaded the SU12 Beta last night and agree I am also getting the very late landing of AI traffic. They are landing about 3/4 of the way down down the runway. A little high on approach but then float or level off. Default or FSLTL both did it at default or payware airports. Glad to see others report it. Might return to SU11

1 Like

My problems started before SU12.

Yes

The AI traffic is aiming to land at the center of the runway rather than in the landing zone.

Both

Are you using DLSS?

Yes

This is some serious monkey paw stuff happening here, traffic behaviour otherwise seems significantly improved yet some random bug always gets introduced every update.

Looking forward to su13 where traffic now lands in the touchdown zone but flies upside down…

8 Likes

This is a beta version of software.

They have made fixes to much of the AI behavior. In the process of those fixes it’s entirely within the realm of reason that those fixes inadvertently affect other AI behavior.

We are doing our job as beta testers reporting this. They are doing their job verifying it at their end, marking the bug as logged and slating it for fixing.

I cannot see why this should be criticized as this is the entire point of this beta exercise.

Just making a joke, I just find it hilarious how every fix to AI traffic comes with some rather obvious and constantly reproducable bug that really should have been picked up in internal testing.

But sure, the bug is logged and now we’ve likely got to live with traffic landing half way down the runway for 3-4 more months.
Like I said I’m looking forward to seeing the next attempt with the monkey paw…

In the end though it’s just AI traffic and as such low priority and all that, which I totally understand. Fingers crossed we get something in a beta update.

3 Likes

Do you have estimated time for this fix? During this su12 beta?

2 Likes

Su15 probably

3 Likes