Airbus A400M (Roland Laborie)

This has been out for some time, but there’s no separate thread for it (just a small discussion in the wishlist section). It’s a MSFS version of a P3D addon that Roland developed (but definitely not “just a port” - there’s clearly been a lot of work done to bring it up to MSFS standards).

I think this is a pretty fair review of the plane: good, but not worth its rather high price.

I will note that the HUD issue in the video has been fixed; it’s now more realistic and military-looking. (It may be taken from the F-18; I’m not sure.)

Personally, I like it – it’s a pretty unique aircraft for the sim (right now at least), in that it’s a quad turboprop lifter with a ton of power and near-jet-like performance. But I have to agree that it’s probably not worth the price. The nitpicks are well laid out in that video: textures are a little rough, there’s a lot of A320 in the systems, flight model is nothing to write home about, the sounds are kind of iffy, etc. In RL’s defense, a lot of the systems detail for the A400M is simply unavailable, because it’s a military product and therefore a lot of the detailed systems info is either kept out of public distribution or outright classified by the operators. (I think using the stock A320 FMC and autopilot is actually pretty sensible, as it’s highly likely that Airbus shares a lot of tech between the civilian and military jets. But we don’t really know that for sure.)

The cameras could use some work, too.

I’m not sorry I bought it, but at about 30 Euro (or US$36), it’s definitely overpriced. I think it would be a decent purchase at $20, but a $36 MSFS product needs to have more depth and polish. But if you take price out of the equation, I think it’s a blast to fly.

4 Likes

Hi, has there been any more updates to this aircraft that have improved it since writing the review?

Thanks

None that I’m aware of, unfortunately.

I see, thanks

Anybody tested it since this most recent update? Changelog is as follows:

June 29th 2023 - New version 3 Changelog :

• Improved instrument readability (flashing suppression when zooming in)
  • Bug clicks mouse Resolved.
  • Improvement and brightness adjustments of EFIS.
  • HUD enhancement, texture, + HSI-Ils addition.
  • Added APU.
  • Insertion of real synoptics in the ECAM of the Airbus A400M.
  • Changes to OVHD push buttons and systems.
  • Coding rotactor ignition according to the starter switches and motor condition levers for starting motors.
  • Improvement of the flight model, especially at High Altitude.
  • Improved cockpit textures.
  • Adjustment Animation blades and propellers.+ texture.
  • Landing lights setting.
  • Animation rotactor FMS ATT-HDG AIR DATA
  • Added Delivered Air defender 2023.
  • Added formation lights.
  • Reduced noise level of engines.

Next update about “fuel-system-pedestal”: September 2023.

1 Like

Hello,

This aircraft can no longer be used since sim update 14:

Is this worth it in 2024?

The aircraft features prominently in the only MSFS 2024 trailer, so chances are it will be part of 2024 one way or another.

1 Like

I purchased the A400 when it first came out and it was terrible. I very soon uninstalled it. I reinstalled it only 2 days ago to see what Version 3 of it was like and Im sad to say it is still not a plane I want to spend anytime in. Lets hope the one we are seeing in the 2024 trailer isnt from the same developer.

Could you explain a bit more precisely what’s wrong with that aircraft, according to your experience ?
I have been watching a test video of the latest version (3 I guess?) and the aircraft looks quite nice, especially in the cockpit ?

iniBuilds is who is building the A400M for 2024. Roland Laborie doesn’t build nice enough products to be featured lol.