Aircraft spawns at cruising altitude when loading in an approach

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes, and that does not seem to have any effect

Brief description of the issue:

Occurs when selecting an arrival with no departure on the world map screen. The aircraft spawns at 30,000 ft upon loading the flight instead of the altitude shown in the selection menu (usually ~3000 ft AAL).

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Enter an arrival airport in the world map screen without any departure airport selected. Sometimes, it will work as intended, other times, you will encounter the issue

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

when the aircraft spawns it spawns right over the runway you’re supposed to land on (highest I’ve had is spawning at FL420) and not a few miles out.

If I quit back to the main MSFS menu and then start a new approach flight to the same runway the aircraft spawns correctly (so far with the flights I’ve done)

Only started after applying SU12. I’m running MSFS on Xbox series X

2 Likes

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

When flying a short approach as set in the map. The aircraft’s altitude used to be around 3000 ft.
Since update 12 the aircraft is at over 35k ft. I now have to go to nav log to set the altitude manually.

Fly an approach as a selected arrival in world map

sim update 12

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Yes

After choosing an arrival with no departure at any airport, the aircraft will sometimes spawn at the right altitude for final and sometimes spawn at max cruising altitude.

1 Like

Me too. Same problem as the above. Only since su12.

1 Like

For anyone who can reproduce the original post’s defect, please provide a detailed reconstruction list including airport and aircraft type so Dev Team can try to reproduce this as well. Thanks.

I have had this problem on and off since su12.
I have just made half a dozen default approaches to different airports in the Asobo A320 and half of these spawned at the right altitude the others at 37k feet. I thought it might be because I set the approach at add on airports but I also tried it on three Asobo default ones. So I don’t think it’s just an addon approach problem. It is possible to get the correct altitude by going into navlog and altering it there and now as a workaround I would suggest that to ensure the altitude is correct it’s best to go to navlog once the desired arrival is selected and check the assigned altitude.
Another anomaly was that on some of these checked approaches the aircraft was flying at 300+knots with no flaps or gear I have no idea what is causing this and even less on how to make it work the way it should. Any suggestions are welcome.

I tried exiting the sim and rebooting to see if it would cure it but it hasn’t. In fact just tried three approaches and all started at 37500ft. Hmmm

Hi guys and gals. For what it’s worth. I did a further group of approaches to various uk and us airports and it was totally random. Add on airports or standard Asobo it was all over the place. My instinct is it is a general problem with not only addon airports but also default ones.
It does seem to be though that it the first spawn is at 37 k feet then any other approaches at whatever airports will be the same. If the first spawn is at the correct altitude then the next approach is right.
This is a very strange one.

Yes

Other times it will spawn at the correct altitude, but my imputes to control the aircraft do nothing. No autopilot is selected.

I really can’t fathom this one out. Three days ago spent an hour or so doing quick flight approaches with starting altitude all between 2500 - 3250 ft.
Yesterday five approaches after the first one which started at the correct altitude all others started at 37000 ft. With these if I went back to world map and reloaded and also changed the altitude in navlog then it was fine.
Can anyone put their finger on what’s happening here and better still find a solution.

What is the cruising altitude?

Well it says 37k. Really doesn’t matter regardless of changing plane it still occurs. I was doing approaches to Tenerife south yesterday changed aircraft three times no problem. Did the same at Heathrow in the asobo 320. First two were fine next was at 37k.
To me it seems totally random and dependant on what mood the sim is in.

Set the cruising altitude to 1,000 feet each time you change aircraft. If the cruising altitude is FL370 and your aircraft pops up to FL370, I don’t think it’s random. I think there is a connection there.

Computers don’t have moods unless we tell them to….

Hopefully, wife, time and tide permitting I may get a good go at a tomorrow and I will let you know the news. I really have not been able to spend much time on the sim recently due to family and other issues hence why I spend what time I get on shooting approaches.

I might add that I very much appreciate you helping me with this. I have had quite a traumatic experience with this sim ever since I purchased it. Even as a vanilla it has seemed to have a mind of its own.

No change with or without.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

No difference with or without.

Selecting arrival only on World Map is choosing a very strange altitude for final approach.

So far I’ve seen 37,000’ for the A320, and 12,000’ for the Caravan. Far too high for final approach!

To be clear, this is when you select an arrival only, and leave the departure field blank. It used to put >you nicely on final approach so you could continue to a landing from there.

I’ve noticed someone else mentioned this almost a year ago, with a bit of misunderstanding as to >what that problem was.

Anyone else noticed?

On world map, select an arrival runway only and go fly.

n/a

Only noticed whilst loading these for the runway lighting weekly screenshot feature. Currently 1.34.16 - but someone posted this same issue in Oct 22 without any traction.

1 Like

I Generally set my starting altitude for approaches from the nav log block right under the flight conditions when setting up all the flight parameters. I think it used to default to a fairly low altitude even if you started from 50 miles out. So I guess it was a compromise to just have people set what they wanted.
Regards

I hear what you’re saying, but that’s what selecting a position on the map is for if you want to be that far back.

I guess if you’re selecting approach, that’s what you’re intending to do, so the altitude should be appropriate. 37,000’ or even 12,000’ at 5nm final is a little high…

Perhaps more options are needed from the world menu for those wanting to start airborne and fly a bit (like heading, altitude and speed, Asobo, AND perhaps distance from the threshold).

A basic standard altitude for approach would be the distance in nm x 3 as an appropriate height for landing.

Then at 10nm you’d be around 3000’, 50nm you’d be around 15,000’

I didn’t notice before you’d tagged it for the Airbus. So I guess they’d also have to factor in which aircraft you were using and the distance you’ve selected from the approach for the sim to automatically assign a starting altitude. Makes it a bit harder, but I’m sure they could come up with some default altitudes above the arrival point, taking into consideration any terrain issues around the IAP.
Regards

1 Like