Aircraft's Hesitation To Return To Normal Straight Flight After Making A Turn

I noticed that all of my aircraft display a similar quite annoying flight characteristic.

After I make any turn right or left, I.E. a right turn from say a heading of 0 degrees to 90 degrees, after I level the wings at 90 degrees, the aircraft displays a fairly strong desire to return back to that right turn.

I must continue to counteract that tendency by applying slight left turn pressure on my yoke or by over correcting with a quick sharp left turn movement of the yoke. Simply returning the yoke to neutral seems to be ignored for awhile. If I wait long enough, 30-45 seconds, with the yoke in neutral the planes wings eventually level off from the roll, but typically anywhere from 5-10 degrees off from the target heading, I.E. a new heading of 95-100 degrees.

This issue occurs in all of my default aircraft (not torque roll) and is the same for both left or right turns.

I have a Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant and have un-mapped all the default flight controls originally assigned to the keyboard, with no effect. I have checked all of the calibration settings carefully and there is absolutely no lag or noise in the hardware or driver.

I should mention that I don’t have rudder pedals so I have my rudder automatically synchronized with the ailerons.

I am sorry to say that I don’t really know how long I have had this issue. It is probably similar to human pain. You don’t really notice the minor ones much, until you get rid of the severe ones. :wink:

Has anyone else noticed this? Are there any possible fixes that I have missed in other threads in the on-line forums?

That is probably the issue. Try it without this link.
When you return to levelled flight, you’re using the rudder as well which moves the nose further in the direction than the aircraft is actually flying - once you stop the input, the rudder straightens out and you get a momentum of the nose back to the direction of flight.

Basically the rudder input makes it look like you’ve reached your heading while your track is still some degrees off.

1 Like

Thank you Coppersens!

You nailed it.

I feel kind of embarrassed as I probably should have known this. But having never flown a real aircraft, I wasn’t certain if this perhaps wasn’t normal flight behavior that I was experiencing.

At any rate, I greatly appreciate your extremely quick reply with successful solution to my possible bone-headed ignorance here.

Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.