Airport Design Editor for MSFS

ADE 2020 Alpha 19 is released. This is a test alpha which supports two way editing between ADE and the Dev Mode. So you may have ADE and Dev Mode open at the same time with the same project. Work in either and sync to the other. It is early stage.

More details and download if interested from here (1) MSFS - Alpha 19 Released | FSDeveloper

4 Likes

Oh, sure, just after I installed 18 :roll_eyes:

:wink:

Thanks Jon, just yesterday I was able to start and finish and release an airport in one day thanks to your tool. Itā€™s working great.

MA26. Pretty simple airport, but it would have taken me much longer without your tool. I was able to spend way more time on the creative process and let your tool manage the mundane stuff.

1 Like

I am pleased to hear that it is proving useful

1 Like

If someone has zero experience in airport design or the SDK, will ADE be intuitive enough to use easily and quickly? (I think I used one of your versions a very long time ago!)

There is a learning curve to ADE, like any software. The trouble with intuitive is that one persons intuitive is another persons hell. Creating or editing a simple airport in ADE is quite straight forward. There are plenty of you tube videos on how to use the in sim Dev mode. Support for the ADE version [and Dev Mode] can be found at www.fsdeveloper.com

1 Like

Thereā€™s a lot to learning how to create a package for an MSFS airport. Jonā€™s tool takes care of a lot of the things that were very confusing to me at the start, though I would say it might be worth it still to try creating an airport from scratch just to understand all the details of what goes where. That being said, once you start, you wonā€™t want to stop till itā€™s finished :slight_smile:

Great to know. Also, it would really help if the SDK design team were to work on making it easier to export Blender models into the SDK. I am a novice at blender, but the actual exporting into the SDK seems very complex .

Also alongside the ADE , ti would be amazing to have a ā€˜Hanger design creator / editorā€™. A simple , MSFS based program within the ADE to make new hangars or control towers. (rather than learning blender from scratch)

Hiya,

Should alpha 19 support approach data import/export from a custom made bgl? I know alpha 18 didnā€™t as mentioned in the release notes so Iā€™m coding it up manually (10 degree dmearc approach so that was fun - I used ADE to help get the numbers correct then wrote the XML for the approach legs and transitions). This is where ADE would save a ton of time as Iā€™m sure it could write more correct XML than my manual efforts :). I also noticed the SDK nav sample makes use of the RF leg type but I had no luck making that work.

What I did for KASH was use the FSX ADE to help me write and check my approaches, then wrote out the XML from that and pasted it into the airport.xml file. Worked great.

Personally, Iā€™m still just using ADE2020 to extract the airport for me from the database, creating the project and then using developerā€™s mode to edit it to what I want as I prefer to work in the sim environment. So, editing the airport.xml in that situation is quite easy. Iā€™m not sure what ADE would do to information like that if I was working in ADE.

ADE reads approach code but I havenā€™t tested whether the output of modified approaches works.

Code generated by ADE for a simple approach appeared to be accepted by Dev Mode

This is on the list to be done however

1 Like

Hi, I have a question for you. Can ADE allow us to modify the assignement of airlines to the gates of stock airports and/or third-party airports currently? Or is there any intention to do it in the next future? Thank you so much.

You should be able to do that.

Hi! Thank you for your quick answer. In FSX or P3D we could select the AFCAD file (.bgl) and change airlines at gates easily, but in MSFS I canĀ“t find AFCAD filesā€¦ Which would be the procedure to do this? Thank you!

You do the same thing in ADE 2020. It has an option to create a project from a stock airport

For further help if you would please go to the support ADE MSFS support forum at www,fsdeveloper.com

I would like to just add some frequencies at my home airfield EPWS, either using the default one (which lies in 300 ft depression - Asobo messed the reference altitude) or the add on I downloaded. Is this possible without going through the learning curve of compilng the bgls etc.?

1 Like

There will be a learning curve and you would need to build a new bgl.

Hi there, Iā€™m fairly new to ADE, and I love it. However, Iā€™m experiencing a problem. In every airport I load from stock, the taxiways are very messed up. I am on the latest Alpha 19. Hereā€™s what they look like:

Any ideas why this is happening?
Many thanks,

Adam

We are not able to provide support here on this forum but you will get help on the ADE 2020 Support Forum at www.fsdeveloper.com

Thanks for your understanding

ok, my account is awaiting approval. thanks

Hereā€™s a hint. Go to Settings and make sure Hide Taxiway Markings is checked. Also read the pdf notes that come with the alpha installation

PS - I just authorized your application to the support forums so you should be able to post there are get a more detailed answer