Alder Lake i9-12900k

My first gaming rig was a Pentium 1 running 200 MHz on Win95. The hardware mantra has always been bigger, better, faster. The money spent keeps the wheels going around. You decide.

Probably another unpopular reply, but I think the DX12 upgrade is overblown. It will provide for improved, and in some cases new, visual effects but I doubt it will do much for performance. There will be some small improvements such that you might be able to move some of your graphics options up, but an awful lot of people are going to be disappointed. DirectX12 isn’t the panacea some people are making it out to be.

Don’t get me wrong. Every little improvement to the sim helps. But it’s going to be a series of small improvements rather than one big thing that everyone will be gushing over.

3 Likes

Agreed, for MSFS 12700K or 12900K won’t make a noticeable difference IMHO. In fact, another unpopular thought:
From a price/performance standpoint, one could argue 12600K steals the show for the purpose of MSFS.
Of course, only real life measurements will tell, for now we only have Intel figures.

1 Like

Moore’s Law for the win.

1 Like

i hope people don’t go out and splurge their hard earned money on this new chip thinking it will somehow give a performance lift. If you have lower resolution VR headset and are currenlty CPU bound, you will gain some performance. But, for the headsets like G2, Q2, Vive 2, you should already be limited by GPU. I run an overclocked 6800XT at 2650Ghz (6900XT terroritory) and am alwasy GPU bound. Upgrading my CPU regardless of how fast (single core frequency, # of cores), will make any noticeable difference. While running MSFS, watch the CPU performance in the task manager. If you have the latest CPU such as 10th/11th gen intel or Ryzen 3, you should have plenty of headroom even in thte single most used core. DX12 will be able to spread that load further to other cores, hence utilize more CPU resources. Unless you are coming from 4 or 6 core 7th or 8th gen CPU, the 12th gen will do very little unless you are running the sim with lowend GPU at 1080P.

If you can hold off for a generation, I’d wait for the 13th gen. By then, PCI-4 and DDR5 would have gone through some growing pain and will probably give you much more bang for your bucks.

4 Likes

Pushing terrain LOD to any value higher than 150 always shows me “limited by main thread”, even with a 3090 and G2. I think a CPU upgrade may help in these scenarios.

Yes but in this case the the 12gen cores also have a claimed 20% IPC increase… per core… which is huge, and something that absolutely will benefit MSFS. Many leaks are putting the 12600k faster than the 5900x. So the 12900k should be blazing fast… I hope.

5 Likes

I would have to be honest and say I stopped measuring FPS a long time ago. But after a clean win 10 install and clean SMFS install 3 weeks ago I have had absolutely amazing performance.

I know at times I was hitting 45 FPS in the airbus FBW flying around, and other times higher! it was nuts. on average above 30, but for me its been extremely smooth. Graphic settings were some high, some low some ultra, again very nice visual experience for me. Render scale was set to openxr 100% and MSFS 85% with the reverb G2.

I know people want hard numbers and some folks need HIGH FPS to feel comfortable, I can go low and still fly but its been pretty decent.

I just don’t want any hardware limiting my VR experience, also, this is my main hobby so I dont mind.

I will try to record some footage, and setup a before and after as suggested.

I will try 2D and VR performance, but I really only fly VR.

This video does not properly show how good VR is for me, but you can get an idea, its very smooth, the recording is sharp and the short flight there was great.

1 Like

I had to go directly to Corsair for my Ram, Newegg for my MOBO and Overclockers.co.uk for my CPU.

If you buy overseas expect VAT to be added after on top of shipping + product. It will be a bit more expensive.

But I was able to get my preorder in for all 3.

My Ram has shipped directly from Tawian and both MOBO and CPU say they will be released the 4th. I assume that means shipped.

I will still try my hand at Best Buy who has no preorder option so lets see come the 3rd at midnight. lol

1 Like

What resolution / render scale? I run around 250 LOD and at native resolution with quest 2 I am GPU limited (3090)

Rendering in OXR 200, in game 60

From what you have seen so far, the package certainly has potential, especially with the new ddr5 RAM. I definitely see 15% over generation 11 and 25% over generation 10 as possible.
One should not underestimate the increased ipc performance of Generation 11/12. It’s not just the Mhz anymore. From generation 4 to 10 the same architecture was always at the start, so that the increase was only achieved over the clock or core count, with generation 11 there was a new architecture and with generation 12 now an improved process and much faster RAM. We will see.

What you are right is about GPU limitation. In pancake mode CPU will have an effect but in VR it is always the GPU. 11900k/3090/G2 here, I see this every day.

It’s not that black and white. I tried marrying a 3080 with a 3750K (4 core) running at 4GHz and the clocks didn’t help a bit. Totally CPU bound and barely functional. Didn’t come close to the CPU minimum requirement for the sim and they were right. But it was fun trying. A newer i9 at 5Ghz gets the job done.

yeah, every bit helps in VR. The truth is…even the best PC these days requires a lot of compromise on graphics settings for VR to work ok…I will also be getting the next best for VR. If not for VR, I’d be happy.

yep.
There also plenty of evidence showing that Intel has an advantage over AMD for MSFS (youtube side by side comparisons). Despite all the benefits of the 5900x/5950x, the 11900k was slightly faster in MSFS. I am hoping that the 12900k is better again, we’ll know in a few days.

2 Likes

I thought it was well understood that MSFS 2020 is CPU bound. For me going from a 9700k to a 1200K would make a massive difference in CPU frame times.

I’m waiting for retail sale in my country ATM and have H150I Pro RGB XT, as far as I heard (some reviewers already tested it) simple standoffs change is enough, no problems were reported by them.

CPU bound in 1080P, but, it’s mostly GPU bound even with the latest graphics card such as 6800XT/3080/3090. I have 10900K, and even on the most heavy single core use, it never reaches 70% utilization. The rest of the cores are just stiing there sipping 15-25% use. 12th gen will make the utilzation even less.

1 Like

I concur that at high res (so in vr with a G2/8KX etc) the game is gpu limited. I have a lowly i7 7700k which never goes above 70% utilization whereas my gpu (3080ti) is at >=98%. I get fps not far away or similar to those with top cpu’s. I’ve concluded a cpu upgrade at the moment wouldn’t make economic sense as i wouldn’t gain many fps. I’ll wait until nvidia 4000 series gpu’s are available, then i’ll upgrade everything (new pc).

2 Likes

I use an 18 core cpu for more demanding software
as well as for msfs.
With me msfs at most uses between 30% and 40% of the cpu’s
( at a small fraction of time), - as indicated in the task manager.
I think that I can witness your experience.
Yet my 3060 card runs at maximum utilization.

Bye, walter