Alder Lake i9-12900k

I have a 12900k cpu/mb/memory on preorder so, as many will, I’ll post some metrics based on how my 9900k/3090 (heavily OCd) system changes with the 12900k.

Interesting enough there are leak benchmarks around 12900k DDR5 vs 12900k DDR4 on youtube, and there is a significant difference in a lot of games from the ddr5 alone. Should be interesting.

For all I know it may be months before items actually show up. I haven’t heard anything about supply for the 12900k. The memory actually may be the problem

2 Likes

FYI : There was an interesting MSFS/12900K benchmark published this morning : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-intel-core-i9-12900k-i5-12600k-review?page=2

3 Likes

So clearly, if VR is almost or more GPU bounded like in 4K review, stay with your actual processor and go for a upper GPU if you want improvement.

That Eurogamer review is pretty much what I expected to see. The thing to pay attention to here isn’t the highest or average fps I think, its the 1% lows… those are the stutters. Alder lake is looking very good on those, at any resolution. The sim may be gpu bound when everything is running perfectly in sync, but it’s the spikes in cpu load that will ruin a flight with stutters, and alder lake, at first glance anyway, seems to bash through them much more easily than ryzen.

Also these are the first “in the wild” results with the win 11 thread scheduler changes for alder lake. I am certain it will be refined over time, and I am especially curious to see how FS behaves with hyperthreading disabled on the P cores. I expect there will be noticeable performance gains from that, and even some affinity tweaking, until the scheduler matures.

1 Like

yea at the end of the flight we see 62 FPS for 12900k and 51 for 11900K, that looks great, i have a 9990K and just ordered one :slight_smile:

it was CPU bound in the past, but as with the recent updates it has become more and more GPU bound…VRAM is also a big limiter at 4k, optimum is 12 or 14 GB of VRAM.

1 Like

I’ve been reading several 12900k reviews today and it seems that pairing it with fast DDR4 is a better choice than with DDR5 - at least until DDR5 matures and becomes available with reasonable frequencies/timings. Only problem is that there are only low-mid tier Z690 mainboards that support DDR4.

Hmm Windows 11 looses some FPS in MSFS

But i dont know if 12900k is better with win11 or 10 :no_mouth:

12600K seems great here

Another one

I have similar current rig as yours: 9900K+3090, would be eager to learn how good benefits 3090 gets from new 12900K and PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 from Z690 mobo.

Please give us updates on the metrics you get!

Could I get some feedback on the following setup that I am planning please. I am particularly interested in feedback on whether the motherboard will be adequate for MSFS in VR.

I9-12900KF (can’t see any justification for the inbuilt graphics card for an extra AUD$100)

MSI PRO Z690-A either DDR4 or maybe DDR5 depending on what people think.

Noctua NH D15 (looking to do some basic BIOS over clocking at some point).

For the time being I am looking to use this all with a 2080ti and maintain my current 650watt gold PSU. When I eventually get my hands on a better GPU, obviously that will go in place.

Thoughts?

1 Like

What are you using this setup for?
Did you consider 12600KF instead?
Just curious if you are sizing the CPU specs based on your actual usage.
I do not know how 12600KF performs in VR, but I would try to find out before pulling the trigger, whether going higher makes a difference.

question is will msfs berform better with 12900k on win11 or win 10.

with 11900k you loose FPS with win11…

1 Like

I can confirm that alder lake stutters a lot less than my previous 5900x

4 Likes

Asus makes and rog strix gaming board that supports DDR4. The thing has pics gen 5 and 4 m.2 gen 4 slots. It’s a beast and I currently have it and love it.

2 Likes

Awesome. Lucky you! If you have a little time would you be willing to try disabling hyperthreading on the P cores and see if that makes any difference to performance and stutters? I’m really curious and have a strong hunch that it will. :slight_smile:

Many thanks!

1 Like

I’ll be using it for complex airliners, PMDG and Fenix A320 and DCS, I only use VR.

I might have considered less cores but not less speed because when I eventually upgrade my GPU, I would regret being held back by the CPU.

I’ll give it a go, in the context of a 2080ti perhaps it’ll be a stutter mess anyway but sure, I’ll give it a go.

I have an 8700k too, would be really Interested to hear your results. From what I’ve been readi g, GPU is currently the main bottleneck though.