Alt-tabbing during VR sessions improves performance, but need alternative to mouse

I haven’t been able to solve judder issues in VR when playing as intended. I must drop detail levels below being able to see the instrument panels, OR I can Alt-tab out and it plays completely fine for reasons I can’t solve. The issue is I can’t use the mouse for my instrument panel if the game isn’t in focus. Using a gamepad will not control a cursor in VR either; but instead a hidden off-center gaze cursor remaining in VR still lets me control instruments with a gampad. Being off center and invisible however makes it hard to use.

I’m frustrated that I can play the game completely fine if I’m only using my yoke and pedals and Alt-tabbed out. I’m trying to be patient for them to include VR controller support, then I can Alt-tab out and not worry about it. Alternatively, why is the game being in focus causing performance issues, or is there another way to control my instruments without a mouse in VR? The control remapping is fairly daunting I feel like I might have overlooked any alternatives.

1 Like

What about getting rid of mouse and using hardware panel? Axis and Ohs allows super easy button assignment including complex functions of payware planes (Local and html variables). Programming is supper easy, immersion without a mouse incomparable, the SIM is not required to be in focus.

Something like that seems useful, as long as i can feel my way around while blind in VR. Thanks!

For some strange reason it’s the same in X-Plane (at least for some): When the sim window doesn’t have focus, performance improves. In X-Plane you don’t need the mouse (and thus the window in focus) because it supports the VR controllers. Let’s hope the upcoming FS controller support doesn’t suck.

It’s not expensive, I recommend trying it.
For me, flying 8n VR with a mouse is an immersion killer. I have 2 such Behringer panels + DIY panel:

Thinking about your problem, I’m wondering if capping your framerate will help you fly without needing to alt-tab out to get smooth gameplay.

My guess is that when the game is in the foreground, it’s using the maximum amount of your computer resources leaving little room for background tasks. It’s probably the background tasks not getting the proper resources that is causing your judders. Then when the game is not in the foreground there’s resources for background tasks.

I use CapFrameX to measure my game performance. The advantage is it not only measures the average framerate of the game but it also measures the 1% and 0.1% low framerates. I notice that when I set a maximum framerate for the game (cap it) that my 1% and 0.1% low framerates improve and my judders go away. My assumption is it’s poor 1%/0.1% low framerates causing your judders.

So with all that said, my advice is to try and cap your max framerate and see if that helps your judders. I cap my framerate at 31 fps and I get smooth gameplay. Depending on your graphics card, both the Nvidia control panel and the AMD Radeon software have a setting to cap your framerate.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I’m a Reverb G2 user with AMD 6900 XT GPU + 5900X CPU, MSFS from Windows Store.

Similar experience here, but in my case only noticable with OpenXR motion reprojection enabled. If MSFS has focus, it looks like framerate is fixed at 20-22.5 fps which reprojects to a 80-90 fps range and results in extreme judders whereas without MSFS having focus framerate is fixed at 30 fps, which reprojects to 90 fps nicely and feels smooth. Yet, I prefer to play without motion reprojection and its wobbling artifacts.

I can confirm Mayhem6633’s suggestion that limiting frames to 31 fps might be a good idea (though looking to the side during flight, I still notice microstutters, it’s just that they are more uniform). However, I would suggest to do the 31 fps limitation only if your fps are in 30-40 fps range. If you can hit 40-50 fps range, I’d suggest to set the limit to 45 fps which feels much smoother without motion reprojection.

Isn’t VR Controller support coming out in the next update next month?
I understand 100% using the Mouse Kills it completely, i like having to look up and reach for the switches and lean over for the FMC.

However my Spidersens is telling me the release will only be for switches/knobs and options… Yoke or dragging some items may be beyond there reach, if that happens i feel a lot of VR users will switch back to XP11/12.

Yeah I don’t see them using VR controllers to manipulate the yoke. Manipulating a yoke that way lacks finesse, as it is too difficult for anyone to make fine adjustments or hold in place slight turns or pulls on a yoke for any length of time when your VR controllers are floating in the air with nothing to give them resistance.

I have a yoke controller, so I wouldn’t even bother if they included VR controller support for it. Mostly I just need something other than a mouse to let me fiddle with knobs.

I have:

• Honeycomb Aplpha Yoke with plenty of switches and buttons
  • homemade panel with 6 dual encoders and bunch of switches and buttons
  • old CH pedals
  • Saitek throttle with 3 levers and 6 buttons.

With this setup I can fly any small GA plane VFR, without touching a mouse.

If I like to fly small GA IFR, I add one Behringer X-Touch Mini with 8 roatary encoders + 24 buttons + slider (I can multiply this by 2, as the device has 2 banks). Enough to operate GNS530 and autopilot.

To fly an airliner (like CRJ) I just add the second Behringer panel. During the preflight, I may need to touch the mouse now and then, but when my engines are started, no need to touch the mouse till the shutdown checklist.
With a little bit os muscle memory and some velcor glued to selected button for tactile identification, it is easier for my to find a knob or button on my physical panels in blind, compared to operating a mouse. Try to change landing elevation on CRJ pressurization panel in VR with a mouse… Or even press the CLR button on CRJ’s FMS, this button is typically obscured by spoiler lever.

I use Reverb G2, so I bring my desktop to VR with me (to make is smaller I use 1440x900, with it on my (virtual) lap I can have in the cockpit my charts, checklist, Pilot2ATC, even the OneNote for a small graphics tablet to write down the clearances.

I can hardly imagine using a mouse when flying (like in the real life).

All this stuff can be installed and deinstalled in less than 10 min., making it reasonably wife-friendly :wink:
I look a bit weird with all this stuff on my desk, but wearing VR headset is already weird enough so I don’t care. Even if they laugh at me, I can’t see them…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.