Am I the "Oldest Flightsimmer"?

Some kid, 16yo, stole one and landed it

1 Like

I remember Microsoft Flight Sim x and the missions in the game. Some where easy and some where hard. I never did complete some of them, but they were fun trying. Any way happy flying with msfs. Keep up the good work ms
Ron

2 Likes

I definitely remember the missions, and most of them were a ton of fun. I donā€™t remember them all after these many years, but they were a neat addition to that release.

1 Like

Iā€™m just a young whippersnapper (early 70s, Gen X) compared to the OP, but I got my start with flight sims on the Commodore 64, specifically Microproseā€™s F-15 Strike Eagle. Oh, the pile of wire-frame MiG-23s I sent to the flat grid floor in that game. :wink:

I think I got into Flight Simulator with version 5. Took a break and missed Flight Simulator X, but so glad I came back to it when 2020 came out. Met some really nice folks on here!

(edit) I guess weā€™re posting our systems on here too:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 128GB G.Skill DDR4-4000 RAM, MSI MEG x570 UNIFY motherboard, Sabrent 4TB Rocket 4 Plus Gen4 m.2 NVMe SSD, Crucial 4TB SATA SSD, WD 8TB SATA HDD, Gigabyte GeForce RTX3090Ti, Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus, Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000w Power Supply, Fractal Meshify 2 case.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum for oldies, Ron.
Itā€™s been a bit quiet lately but I suspect that most of us have still been spending plenty of time in front of our MSFS screen(s).
The new MSFS is a huge improvement in my opinion, mainly becuse of the better hardware we have now, which in turn can use better software. A lot of the addon scenery and aircraft, adventures etc has its roots in the older sims though.
Despite many earlier bugs (ā€œgremlinsā€ would be a more appropriate term for old flers) the publihers have done a wonderful job and weā€™re all looking forward to great things in 2023.

2 Likes

Great picture!! Im going on 58 and have been simming since the days of Sublogics Flight Simulator 2 back in the early 80s. And that was on a old Commodore 64!! Man weve come a long way! Happy flying.
My Rig: I7/16gbddr5/GeForce 3060 12gb/250gb ssd/1tb hhd.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply and welcome. I am 76 now and love msfs. Did use Commodore 64 too. Sure is a lot better today though. And glad to see many old timers here. Not very good flying yet but I hope to get there. My post was to see if any body did complete the fsx missions. Happy flying and good luck.
Ron

1 Like

HDD!! Darn my fingers!!!

1 Like

Somehow I just got re-directed to this post. Not correct. Without the services of the medical personnel, (Naval for USMC), many under fire, a lot of my buddies would have remained 17 and 18 forever.

Age equals experience and knowledge. Thatā€™s a good thing to pass along to others. My dad built B-36, B-58 and F-111 so my brother and I also chose aviation careers. He arranged a ride in a friends C195 for my first airplane ride. 45years commercial pilot for me. Now 80 and enjoy reliving through MSFS with MD-82 (4500 hrs IRL) and others. The most enjoyable activity is teaching grand kids to fly. 1 boy and 3 girls have soloed in MSFS ages 11 to 16.

7 Likes

Ahh, the B-36. I remember watching those monsters overhead when I was stationed in Calif in the '50ā€™s. I believe they might have been out of March AFB.

2 Likes

I was also 11 in ā€˜82, and also starting flight simming around that timeā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m a little younger - 67 but been simming since '82 also. Bought the SubLogic sim same day as my 1541 Commodore floppy drive.

3 Likes

4 burninā€™ and 6 turninā€™

2 Likes

67 and brand new to msfs. Last simming I did was on a Commodore 64 ā€¦ā€¦ mmmm, a lot of years back.

1 Like

??. I know it had 6 props, but what does the 4 burninā€™ mean?

I remember a day in 1992 when my buddy and I were flying a long night mission in F-15 Strike Eagle III on networked PCs. He was the PF and I was the Wizzo. Ingress took a long time, I zoned off while scanning for bogeys and then suddenly, morning dawned on the horizon of our 320x200 VGA screens and I still remember the remarkable level of immersion it induced.

Oddly enough, I could never attain full immersion and suspension of disbelief with all the sims that followed, regardless of how much better they looked and sounded.

That is until recently, 30 years later, as I fly MSFS in glorious VR, routinely reaching immersion levels I would not have believed possible.

What an amazing journey us long-term simmers have been on and what amazing fruit it finally bears.

9 Likes

6 props and 4 jet engines

10 engines ! I didnā€™t know that, obviously. All I knew was 6 props because thatā€™s what we could see. Have to read up on it.

six turning, four burning

4 Likes