Am I the only one that likes the camera systems

Been reading a lot of forums and reddit and have noticed a pretty unanimous gripe for the cam system, am I missing something because I find it to be really good and especially dig the drone cam.

7 Likes

Yeah I keep seeing people mention the cameras, but they’ve been pretty great imo. Easy to expand FOV in cockpit view and take a look out the windows.

My only issue is that the scroll wheel still affects knobs when the cursor is gone (i.e., when you’re moving the camera around). That caused a couple mysteries for me before I realized what was going on.

Lol are you trying to stir up trouble? :wink: I’ve done a lot of “photography” in the sim and have been stunned by the flexibility in the camera system. Glad you’re enjoying it!

1 Like

I must be missing where documentation of features is, especially cameras because it took me forever to figure out how to switch views. I discovered it by accident and now I need to figure out how to bind it to a joystick button somewhere. I haven’t even begun to start trying to figure out drone cameras and such.

1 Like

Honestly just go into settings and look at all the key mappings - and refer back to it whenever you feel the need to. Camera settings are in there, and that’s how you’ll bind it to a joystick button as well. I pretty much always review bindings as soon as I open a new game, and that’s especially true for when I buy a new simulator.

Some good help here too. I agree - some up front documentation would have helped!!!

1 Like

I looked. It probably just got lost in the shuffle, there’s a hell of a lot of stuff to look through. I just miss the days of “quick reference” cards :grinning: Thank you for the links fhcraig

Yeah there’s definitely enough to flood out what you’re looking for - I believe there are a couple search bars though, one for the action and one for the binding. (i.e., you can search “brakes” or you can search “.” which is the default binding for brakes)

For the most part I like the default binds for my T-16000 HOTAS but there’s a couple of things I’d like to move if I can just figure out a good place to reassign the default functions. For instance I’d really like to move the view switch to one of my trigger buttons but those are occupied with useful camera stuff too…it’s always a puzzle and a process working out binds.

1 Like

I like the drone cam. I wish it could be toggle locked to the aircraft so that it would maintain it’s position relative to the aircraft’s axis.

Nope. I see a lot of whining about the camera, but once I got the hang of it, I quite like it. The drone camera is super useful, and it may have some added features that people aren’t interested in (and subsequently call it “over complicated”) but you don’t need to utilize them all. I think the focus option really allows you to bring out the shot you want.

Use middle mouse button for free look

I stay in the cockpit 99% of the time. For me, this camera system works just fine. I haven’t even messed with the drone camera that much.

I just define a new view in each aircraft with Ctrl + Number, then access that view by pressing that Number on the NumPad. Works fine for me!

One thing I miss, is the ability to cycle through all the views with one button (and miss the tower view).

3 Likes

Yep, besides the obviousness of having to learn new hotkeys I really don’t understand the complaints.
Especially considering “literally” everything can be rebound as you like.

No issues with it here, I found the previous versions to be clunkier IMO.

I have mixed feelings about the camera system. I love and adore the cockpit camera, it is fantastic. Landing Mode Space, the quick look functions on the hat switch, being able to focus on specific panels by pressing Ctrl+{num}, are easily some of my favourite features.

The drone camera is an interesting concept. I haven’t tried it because it is too complicated for my taste. I have heard people speak highly of it, and it seems like is a fantastic addition to the sim.

I do however wish a few things got added to the camera system:

• Right-click menu to change views (The current camera menu is too cumbersome if I want to change views quickly)
  • Better labelling of views within the camera system. (Rather than ‘Fixed Camera 6’ call it ‘Over left-wing’)
  • Tower View (Nearest Tower & options for some of the closer airports)
  • Flyby

Those would be good additions

I like this system in general but my main issue is that the zoom in/out is way too fast with the + and - keys. There seem to be no modifier (like the Ctrl key in XP) to slow it down unless I’m missing something. Another feature that seems to be inconsistent is the quick toggle between the two last views of any sort. It sort of works with custom views to some degree but would be nice if it worked with all types of views.

I agree. I see a lot of complaints in the forum about the camera system. I believe this is happening for the following reasons

1. We see a lot of new simmers/gamers who are of course are very welcomed here to share with us our passion. But let’s face it, the number of controller key assignments are huge. Old simmers are used to spend their time configuring it. Remember the number of pages in the X-Camera manual for example.

2. Asobo did a great job in configuring the Xbox controller. However, for the PC, the keys are not always intuitive. I spent good amount of time just to make it similar to my old configurations in X-plane, AeroflyFS2, and FSX.

3. There’s a lack of “comprehensive” documentations. I don’t blame Asobo, I’m just saying it’s unfair and demotivating for new entrant into this hobby. I’m trying share my experience by posting several topics here are my posts: