AMD 5800X3D performance

I agree with starting at -10 per core and then working your way down (more negative). I personally would run the stability tool to check for obvious stability issues, but then run your PC for at least a few days to further test stability. Using an unstable negative offset will crash when going from low to high or high to lower power states. For example, you could run a stability test for days then crash when opening your browser. It will throw WHEA event pointing to the core/thread that crashed, giving you an indication of which is the problem core.

However, from my experience with non-3D Zen 3, most cores won’t be able to take more than a -20 offset and be completely stable. Start with a small offset, then work down. Otherwise, you’ll never get a stable baseline.

What should I do to make sure it is hitting the boost speeds?

Thanks!

Use HWInfo to monitor the GPU core frequency during gaming. It will fluctuate based on the thermal profile, but the maximum frequency should be at least the advertised boost clock. It can boost higher if there is thermal headroom to do so. For example, my 3090 boost speed is advertised as 1740 Mhz, but can sometimes boost to 2 Ghz.

1 Like

I agree that it is wrong to judge everything by L3 alone.
(All figures below are used for topology prediction purposes only, not for the time taken itself. It is too early to predict performance based on this alone.)

What is noteworthy is the processor topology.
In the Zen2/3 architecture, all inter-CCX communication is done out of the CCD and in the IOD. This means that access and latency to main memory will not be much different, and power consumption will be higher. the penalty for inter-CCX communication is very high. (fig.1)

Thus, for primarily gaming applications, where CCD=CCX=1, the 5800X (non X3D) was the fastest of the AMDs; the 5950X is often not the fastest in games.

From the core-to-core latency benchmarks, we can predict the topology inside the processor.
Zen2, there are two CCXs (small processor dies) nested within the same processor (CCD). (fig.2)

Zen3, CCD=CCX. (fig.3)

For X3D, it is the same as Zen3, with a latency penalty of about 3ns due to the penalty of huge cache references (fig.4)
5800X3D-core-to-core-latency

Zen2, 1-8 threads behaves very differently than in tightly coupled applications with more than 8 threads; in Zen3, the penalty is not incurred until 16 threads; 16 threads is sufficient for most modern applications.
In the Intel 12 series, L3 is a ring bus and can be accessed almost equally by all processors. However, while it is fast between P cores, there is a delay with respect to E cores. It seems that they are not completely equivalent (fig. 5).

Thus, processor topology determines the nature and trend of performance gains when running (among other things) multi-threaded applications.

It is the Windows thread scheduler that ties Windows applications (in this case, MSFS) to the actual processor.
It is implemented conservatively and rarely schedules across processors with slow latency. (Intel developed Thread Director for its own processors for this purpose and provided it for Windows 11.)
The range of processors that scale the speed of tightly coupled applications is almost always confined to the same processor topology and coincides with the L3 cache topology.
AMD has done a good job of putting a large L3 cache that matches the game on the processor with the most game-friendly topology of all AMD processors.

I compared the 5800X3D to the 5950X. (The 5950X is a 5800X+1CCD, not much difference.)
This was the first time I could benchmark almost identical processors, differing only in cache.
The 5800X3D is probably the first processor in the world that the average consumer can buy a variation that is identical in everything else (same generation, hierarchy, methods, topology) with the only difference being the size of the L3 cache.

5 Likes

Perfect! Thank you!

A quick example of what to see in HWInfo. I took this snapshot during a flight this evening. Notice that you can see the current core frequency, and the maximum frequency that was logged during this session:

Screenshot 2022-08-02 230232

As far as I can see there is nothing about the CPU on that screenshot?

The question was about the GPU boost behavior, not CPU. Probably better on a separate post.

Be careful not to include any menu behaviour, 600fps can mess things up badly.

Just a bit of a rumour with regards to Zen 4 with V-Cache, MLID is speculating that AMD will launch Zen 4 with V-Cache sometime around April 2023, and they will be 30% faster than standard Zen 4. AMD will do some PR publicity stunt in late this year with some Youtuber channels (e.g. Linus) in order to throw shade on Raptor Lake this holiday season.

My guess is that since MSFS is such a performance outlier for the 5800X3D, Zen 4 with V-Cache will probably be close to (or exceed) 30% faster than standard Zen 4, which should be in reviewers’ hands in a week or two from now. So for example if you see 50fps in some MSFS performance benchmark for Zen 4, expect 65fps+ for Zen 4 with V-Cache.

Source:

1 Like

How about if you have an i9-9900k?

At this point, you better wait. AMD just announced their new gen of cpus (7000 series) and rumors say they are releasing the new 3D cache cpus on January.

Also, intel will be announcing their new line (13th gen) on 09/27.

That said, even if you don’t feel compelled to pay more money for the new gen CPUs + DDR5, I’m sure we will see a lot of good deals for the current gen CPUs.

1 Like

As a heads-up, Raphael reviews are out, and here are some results in MSFS via Linus Tech Tips.

Very good performance which pulls ahead of Vermeer and Alder Lake, however the 5800X3D is still the clear winner. Anyone wanting to upgrade should wait and see what Raphael-X and Raptor Lake will bring to the table in the next few months. Besides, DDR5 performance and prices are improving at a steady pace, and cheaper motherboard options will be out later.

5 Likes

Interesting. So I can stick to my 5800X3D.

The 7xxx series will also have X3D later, but for now seems I’m fine.

2 Likes

I would love to wait, but I need to get a new CPU joe sadly. Going to go for the 5800x3d of course, what motherboard would people recommend to go with it?

You can literally go with any AM4 motherboard as the 5800X3D doesn’t allow overclocking.
It depends on what you need in terms of functionality and connectivity. (WiFi, Thunderbolt, etc)
If you don’t care for that kind of stuff, any B550 MoBo will serve you well.

2 Likes

I was looking at MSI X570s Tomahawk

Rejoice 5800x3d owners. Our purchases were not in vain.

6 Likes

@PancakeAgent What has happened, I literally just bought a 5800x3d 5 mins ago, and now I’m nervous.

5800x3d is still far ahead in benchmarks for MSFS even compared to the 7000 chips

2 Likes