AMD 5800X3D performance

Make sure your BIOS supports the 5800x3d. When I installed mine I noticed it wouldn’t boost frequency and would only run at the base clock rate. After I updated the BIOS it ran much better and it would boost frequency as expected.

The bios is the latest.

Boost clock etc are fine

But everyone who upgraded CPU didn’t reinstall Windows?

I didn’t re install my Win10 os and I changed from intel chipset motherboard to AMD chipset motherboard.

I did however have to re activate Win10 due to the major hardware change.

I upgraded my Ryzen CPU a few months ago and did not reinstall Win 11. There should be no need to reinstall the base OS (Win 10 or 11)

I’m on Windows 10 latest build, no reinstall. I also went from R5 3600 to X3D so the jump for me was substantial. Which board you on?

Oh - almost forgot that you will definitely want to upgrade your motherboard chipset drivers to the latest. You can get them at the same AMD web page as the Radeon drivers - just specify you want to update the chipset drivers and then your specific motherboard. I believe there is also a small AMD utility that will autodetect your motherboard and find the correct drivers for you.

You haven’t upgraded your gpu so if you were gpu limited before there’s no reason to see a big fps boost without lowering graphics settings or playing at a lower resolution / renderscale. The good news is you can probably raise LOD and traffic settings considerably.

2 Likes

Why do you need the 80 or 90 series, I have the 3060TI, and depending on settings get 25 to 60 fps which I use as high as ultra on most settings. If I set everything to the max I get some jittering but other than that it works fine. since I don’t have a better card I’m not sure what I would gain. I am also playing it on a Samsung S95B 55" and I have no complaints!

With my rtx3060 I get pretty much the same performance as you and I don’t have a 5800X3D. Any gpu can only push out so many frames, if it’s already locked at 100% usage it doesn’t produce a single fame more no matter what cpu you have.

Try turning off V sync. Let me know what you get.

VR, not 2D mode.

You can compare yours with this, bare in mind according to User Benchmark your 3060Ti is supposed to be 30% faster than my normal 3060. It was also €200 more expensive at the time (bloomin scalpers!).

Edit: Just realised that was DX11, here’s a very quick DX12 - same frames above the roofs but a little better and smoother where it’s down and dirty.

Any benchmarks for 13600 13700 13900 vs 5800xd please?

There’s a discussion here about that - 13900k - #12 by Sim4good

1 Like

Why is the temperature of core 3 so high?
All other cores has much lower temps with the same load.
I have tried to lower the temps with PBO2 tuner and overall the temps are much lower, but Core 3 stays high.

After about 15 min. the gap between core 3 and the other cores stay about 20 degr.

Did you change recently your cooler? I had this 2 times in my life. I apply frequently (around once each 18 month) new thermal paste and Cooler. With my previous i7 3770K it happened and redoing the thermal paste fixed it. Same recently with my 2 years old i7 10700K. My guess is each core are located somewhere on the CPU and thermal paste is not well applied at this precise location. Redoing it and all was fine.

I have installed a new motherboard and processor.
I used 5 point little thermal paste dots when installing the 5800X3D like AMD advises.
My Noctua cooler has a polished surface so the paste is normaly spread overall.

I see the high temp also when i do a Cinebench run.

After lowering my core voltage with PBO2 tuner -30 on all cores the temp is lowered and there is no throttling down. The difference between core 3 and the other cores is still there.

I will check my thermal past and if neccesary i will do it again.

1 Like

Is dynamic cooling switching cores as it should? or maybe you enabled settings for favouring your fastest core? … in bios or PBO I would guess.

For my Windows 11 Ryzen 7 3800X the best OC for MSFS is simply PBO enabled and SMT disabled but be careful with the latter if you use DX12 with other stuff running alongside, it could bottleneck.

Nothing is overclocked, no favoured core is set.

Weird, can’t say I’ve ever noticed this in the 20 years I’ve been building my own PCs. I just use HWINFO once up and running to check all is well. I’ve always just put a pea sized blob in the middle of the IHS then sat the heatsink on it, give it a light jiggle to make sure it compresses the paste outwards then screw down.

Daft questions but have to ask:

1. Latest Bios?
  2. Latest chipset drivers?