AMD 5800X3D performance

Ultimately if you want to find out what’s going on with CPU performance, you have to test at lower resolutions. Otherwise you’re testing the GPU not the CPU.

5 Likes

Absolutely, but if in reality it actually transpires into no difference as far as your own experience goes then claiming to be the ‘fastest gaming CPU’ is a bit misleading.

That’s just my thought with it. Yes it might be quicker under a specific test, but if it’s not actually quicker in reality then what’s the point.

I’d like to see it tested additionally in 4K with a 3090 personally. That would be a better benchmark.

1 Like

Whats quite interesting about where we are at the moment with CPU’s and the sim is that if you’ve got a 3080 or 3090 and play the sim in 4K then the difference between any CPU released in the last year or 18 months is relatively minimal.

I certainly don’t see any reason to upgrade from my 5600X yet anyway.

The point is you aren’t going to necessarily be GPU limited all the time … Go start the sim or fly circuits at KORD or Charles De Gaulle in the evening rush and see if your GPU limited or mainthread limited.

The 1080p test is the easiest demonstration of the potential headroom of the chip. A better performing chip wont drop into being mainthread limited as much as a lesser performing chip regardless of resolution.

3 Likes

They’re not testing it for FS though, they’re just testing it.

Love my 260euro 10850k, OCed to stable 5.2GHz for VR :popcorn:

Or should i buy it, for maybe 0,5FPS more ?

We are having a discussion in relation as to how it applies to MSFS though … so …

And for the record testing at 1080p is the standard to test for cpu performance in order to remove the obvious GPU bottleneck. CLEARLY margins are going to diminish when the GPU affects the test…

1 Like

Gee i dunno … Let me know how it goes when you buy it and try to drop it into your mainboard socket …

1 Like

I have a 5900x/RX6800 combo with a Samsung G9 5120x1440 monitor.

The 5800x3D would not help

I have a 5900x and 6900 , I could just need those extra few frames… right now with AI on complex airports it can be be choppy

1 Like

Do you think a change from a 5900x towards a 5800 X3D could give me a boost in FPS?

Currently I have a RTX3080TI and the Sim is running on a Samsung Odyssey G9 (Ultrawide) with 5120x1440

Especially for flying in KJFK or EDDF I would need some more fps.

Thanks and regards
Marco

yes, you are cpu limited here, now you need only to find out, how much difference this 5800xd3 makes compared to a 5900x.

1 Like

I am in the process of putting together parts for my first PC build (been using xbox for months) and the PC will only be used for MSFS so it seems like despite the fact the street price for 5800x3d is more expensive than 12700 or 5900x that it would be worthwhile if I have a powerful enough GPU. I was thinking of a RTX 3080 or 3070 which I assume would be nicely matched to the 5800x3d? I currently only run 1440p so probably overkill for now, but in the future might upgrade to 4k monitor or try VR.

3080 is definitely not overkill for MSFS at 1440p.
Regarding 5800x3d vs 5900x it seems too soon yet to make assumptions.

Both Hardware Unbox and Tom’s Hardware reported that MSFS isn’t working properly / CTD for them on their Intel system so they are unable to compare directly with Intel CPU on their channel / website.

1 Like

5950x here…seriously tempted too.
I just logged off and gave up earlier today in EDDF, it was too slow (I have a 3090).
I guess a 5800x3D would help a lot, but will it be enough to warrant the expense and the hassle, I’m not sure.
13th gen Intel and Ryzen 7000 will be here in a few months too.

I ordered one now and have it already at home but I want to wait for first good benchmarks before opening the seal. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Just replaced my 5800X with this 5800X3d. I fly in VR exclusively and can say I’m having a really smooth experience with it. I have the quest 2 and a 6900XT.

I see no need to try and overclock anything due to some really great perf now.

FYI…I does run hotter with than my 5800x

6 Likes

Oh I have so many motherboards and computers at home and in the office. It will fit in somewhere. :joy:

2 Likes

Haha same here :wink:

1 Like