AMD 5800X3D performance

There is no doubt that Ryzen 5800X3D is the ultimate CPU for MSFS.
Previously, with Ryzen 5800X and RTX3090, starting A32NX from Gate on RJTT was 30-35 fps.
But when I changed CPU to 5800X3D, it improved to 45-50 fps.

3 Likes

Nice, I’m just about to do the same swap this eve once the rug rats are in bed - glad it’s working well for you!

Normally I wouldn’t have bothered with the upgrade from 5800X but the two main games I play (MSFS and ACC) both seem to benefit massively from the cache and can be held back by CPU frame time in VR so really it’s a no brainer!

1 Like

wow, thats a huge improvement. I’m somewhat frustrated with performance lately(on a 5950/3090). Are you still happy with the results?

Very satisfied.
I replaced the 5800X with the 5800X3D and my system is gaining a whopping 20%~60% fps gain over the 5800X.
And even the microstuttering has been drastically reduced and is very comfortable.

3 Likes

Impressive what an impact 4% more power has. xD

Noticing the same here on my system.

1 Like

Where is it even available?

Nice! Enjoy it.
They seem to be sold out everywhere now.
I just ran through a tutorial from a German YouTuber (Jaydee) for FPS optimisation, he has an i9-12900k. When we gets ~50fps, I get 32fps on my 5950x (FBW A320 on the rwy, external view). I tried all his tweaks etc… net improvement = 0%
I need a new CPU for the PMDG 737 and the BAE 146! LOL :slight_smile: Maybe I’ll get one when they’re back in stock. Have fun with yours.

1 Like

MSFS Specific comparison between the 12900K and 5800X3D - about 10 FPS gain at 4K Ultra settings:

MSFS VR Review. Big performance gain with complex scenery versus the 5800X, especially on the ground where CPU gets hit the hardest:

4 Likes

So I did a test myslef today:

So how did I test it:

• start sim, no traffic, no live weather, no multiplayer, LOD all to 200% rendering scale 50% & VSYNC Off to be CPU limited even in 4K
  • stop sim
  • PC Off
  • BIOS reset
  • RAM set to D.O.C.P. Profile @ 3400
  • Multithrad Off
  • Resize Bar on
  • start PC
  • start sim
  • KBOS (inkl. the new payware mod), 33L, A320 FBW inkl. 8K SAS livery, cockpit view; waiting 1 minute: 52FPS, 75W und 68°C
  • stop flight
  • EDDM (without Mod), 26L ,DA20, cockpit view; waiting 1 minute: 72FPS, 72W und 68°C
  • stop sim
  • PC Off
  • change CPU
  • BIOS reset
  • RAM set to D.O.C.P. Profile @ 3400
  • Multithrad Off
  • Resize Bar on
  • start PC
  • start sim
  • KBOS (inkl. the new payware mod), 33L, A320 FBW inkl. 8K SAS livery, cockpit view; waiting 1 minute: 68FPS,65W und 74°C
  • stop flight
  • EDDM (without Mod), 26L ,DA20, cockpit view; waiting 1 minute: 110FPS, 62W und 75°C

So the results show: less power usage, higher temps (but within limits) much more FPS:

KBOS ~30% more FPS
EDDM 53% more FPS

BTW: in all tests I’ve PG Cities deinstalled (the “new” Bug) but PG is still on and I can see it. With installed PG I’ve 35 FPS in the first case instead 52

GPU is a 3090FE

3 Likes

Definitely keeping my eye on this thread. It does seem like it might be worth an upgrade from the 5600X, especially for VR.

Well, I don´t know what happened, but just out of curiosity I checked my usual online store to see if this CPU was available. I expected it to be sold out. To my surprise, they had stock.

I don´t remember the rest, It´s fuzzy in my mind. But aparently, tomorrow I will get my 5800X3D.

Really looking forward to see if it is worth the upgrade from my 3900x at 4K with a 3080. In places like Barajas (LVFR) with Madrid´s PG, I´m clearly CPU limited.

Probably the most compulsive buy in my life.
I hope I didn´t make a mistake…

1 Like

I upgraded from a 3900X to the 5800X3D. Running it on a B550 motherboard with 3600 MHz memory . GPU is a RX 6900XT.

In vr with the G2, which is comparable to 4k resolutions, frames are not all that much higher but it is smoother than before. Also I notice textures being more crisp as if it’s rendered sharper. I’ve set my settings to balance towards being GPU limited instead of CPU limited as far as possible.

It runs a bit warmer than my 3900x. ( Air cooled). So just check your temperatures so it does not thermal throttle.

You did well with this upgrade. You should definitely see an improvement.

Have a good one,
G

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

I´ll report back when I can try it. Really looking forward to it!

Couple of points to note:

First video, he’s running DDR5 4800MHz CL40 on the i9-12900K. That’s highly detrimental to performance on that chip: In my testing 4800MHZ CL40 DDR5 is roughly where 2400MHz CL16 DDR4 is - Ie. slow, it’s about 10% down on any reasonable RAM.

MEanwhile the 5800X3D appears to be running 4000MHz CL20?? DDR4 which if he’s 1;1 on the uCLK/infinity fabric is a big ask (unless the memory controller on the X3D has been improved drastically, very few 5800X’s could do that stably). Faster RAM helps a lot too, I get around a 20% performance spread from 2400Mhz up to 4000MHZ DDR4 @ CL16, on Alderlake and Zen3. The rest of his timings are kind of trash though?? Very hard to get a grip on exactly what the purpose or origin of those RAM settings are.

Really frustrating that no-one seems to be able to grab an alder lake CPU, Chuck the same affordable 3600Mhz CL16 Kit on it, and test it vs the 5800X3D for a like for like comparison.

No doubt the 5800X3D is ‘better’ at this point but I’d still like to know how much better. I just don’t want to know quite enough to spend 500€ and test it myself…

2 Likes

It’s gonna be killer dude. The single core speed upgrade from Zen 2 to Zen 3 was already big, but the Cache is a massive leap.

Darn, I saw these available on amazon the first day (even had it in the cart) but waited for “reviews”. Lesson learned. I’m building a brand-new gaming PC (first ever) exclusively for MSFS and it sounds like this is the way to go. I was still undecided on which GPU to use. Would 3060Ti work (1440p) or would I be GPU bound with this processor and have to go to something much beefier like 3070 or 3080. Hopefully gpu prices continue to fall while I wait for amd to be back in stock.

A 3060TI is fine at 1440p, capable of 60FPS at High-End settings.

The thing with GPUs is that you can use graphics settings to get the performance you want, within the capability of the CPU.

FS2020 is unique as opposed to more general games because it’s very often CPU limited by a single thread and thus core, and actually if you do encounter a CPU limit, and you’re not doing anything stupid with settings, there’s not a lot you can do to help the situation. Changing aircraft or lowering LOD sliders helps, but that isn’t really useful if you specifically want to fly that aircraft, or need LOD high for the realism.

4 Likes

I running 5600x with 3060Ti, 1440p on ultra settings and they’re kinda on the same level. Sometimes is the CPU, sometimes the GPU, depends on the scenery. I reckon if I do upgrade to 5800x3d my GPU would be the “issue” all the times. Hope it does help.

Excellent info, thanks. I’ve read that 5600x/3060Ti is a good base setup and I could save money going with 5600x instead but if I go for 5800x3d probably I would benefit from something like a RTX 3080 in that case.

Not sure if you use any 3rd party airports/scenery but part of what I’m looking for is better performance (and mainly no CTDs) on very demanding scenery/airports like those from Drzewiecki. Have you found scenery that suffers from too much lag with your setup?